Jump to content

Tax Credits overpayment from 2005/2006

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello folks

My husband receivd a letter last year at our old address from HMRC addressed to him and is EX WIFE at MY address claiming he had been overpaid £3000 in tax credits in 2005/2006.

He wrote back asking them what was going on.Almost 6 months later (and after a house move!) we have received a letter saying sorry its taken so long blah blah blah, but they have been looking at the case.

They admit that my husband had informed them of a change and although they are going to write off £210 as they made a mistake somewhere he still owes them £3k, they say that HMRC did write to my husbands then employers at the time to tell them to stop paying him tax credits, but apparently they still paid them.

Now - £3k is a lot of money to be overpaid......hubby reckons it cant be anywhere near as that much.

My question is - should they be chasing hubby because by their own admission THEY contacted hubbys then employers (who are now no longer) and told them to stop paying him - they didnt.

Im also livid they addressed the letter to hubby and his ex wife at my address, but ill get over it lol

And surely ex wife should be liable for half of this too??Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Nystagmite - sorry for the late reply we weren't at home this weekend.His ex will not speak to him so we cannot discuss it with herAll we know is that HMRC are saying his employer overpaid him. Hubby says he does recall being paid his tax credits through his wages and asking his employer about it, but thats about it. He doesn't know how much it was for, but it seems an awful lot considering HMRC are saying THEY wrote to his then employer telling them to stop/change payments, yet let it get to this much?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tax credits are paid by HMRC - nothing to do with an employer.


They were paid with his wages by his employer.

The letter states:

" We wrote to your employer and told them to stop making the WTC payments made with your wages. The law states that we have to give an employer 42 days to either start or stop making WTC with their employees wages."

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've now had another spanner inthe works regarding this.

We dug out the letter they sent last year and ont hat letter it says my husband was overpaid by £2300.

The last letter we got at the beginning of this month is saying is was for £3100!!

The letter last year was also addressed to my husband and his ex-wife at my address!

There is no mention of his ex on this latest letter though.

Also my husband worked for a small firm back then and never got any proper wage slips showing tax credits NI or anythign like that.


It was an envelope with his name on and the amount of his wage! This firm is no longer trading so we cannot contact them for any further information.Please can anyone advise what our next step is?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...