Field Based - Travelling To & From

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If an employee is clased as field based and the start time of work is 9.00 does this mean by law they have to be ready to start work at the location at 9.

For example:

If the first job is a 5 min drive away you set off from home at 8.55 to arrive at 9.

But what if the first job is 3+ hours away does this mean the employee would have to set off at 6 to get ther for 9? Can a company tell employees they must set off at 6 to get ther for 9 starting time and the travelling time is done in thier own time (not paid for).

Any links or info much appriciated.

Are you salaried or hourly paid?

There are no hard and fast rules, as a reasonable travel time would be expected for any job. I am field based, and expected to be at the first site by 9am, so that is fine if I am 10 minutes away, but yes, if it is a 3 hour journey, then I would aim to be on the road 3 hours beforehand, although as there is less certainty over travelling time when the journey is longer, there would be no problem if I arrived half an hour or so late. Naturally on days where there is an early start due to travelling time, one would not be expected to be returning home late, so I would normally be home by 3-4pm.

It is slightly different with hourly paid, as you could argue that time where you are at the employer's disposal should be paid, but with any job, a 'reasonable' travelling time should be an expectation due to the nature of the work.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks.

It is a salary however unlike you, we are expected to be at our last site at 17.30 and travel home then wherever that might be so if thats also a 3 hour journey then i would be starting at 6 in the morning and not getting home until 8.30 in the evening.