UK debt, living in Russian federation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I moved to the Russian Federation over two years ago. At the time I had some CC debts. I notified the relevant companies of my move, but never heard anything from them.

Now MBNA have started sending letters and making phone calls to my mother. As they are aware that I do not live at that address how can she get them to stop? All letters are being returned, but the phone calls are rather harder to deal with. They actually have my contact details.

Also, if they apply for a CCJ I know that I can have it set aside as I am not resident-I have full Russian residency. What are the chances of a Russian DCA getting involved? I believe that the debt has no legal force in Russia.

I take it your mother is still in the UK? if so she should contact her local Trading Standards to complain about these 'phone calls. She is not the debtor, has no responsibility for the debts nor do you live there so she should not be harassed by these companies.

MBNA are a particularly awkward company to deal with I'm afraid & seem to believe that UK law and OFT guidelines somehow don't apply to them. They are very very wrong. ;)

Also, if they apply for a CCJ I know that I can have it set aside
Yes, as you are not a UK resident they cannot legitimately obtain a CCJ.

There are no reciprocal agreements between the UK and the RF although it may be possible that MBNA could attempt for a judgement there although highly unlikely given the cost to them & the fact that any debt you may owe MBNA is governed by CCA 1974 which is UK law.

What is more likely to happen is that MBNA will eventually sell this debt on to a debt Collection company for a fraction of it's face value & it will be they who will attempt to cajole you making payment. They will have even less chance of taking any enforcement action.

What are the chances of a Russian DCA getting involved?
Zero i would say. ;)

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT