• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Notice of intention to apply for order for sale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Brig - account hacking!!

I know it's not a laughing matter, all this, but your suggestion of offering them 20% less did make me smile :) I've got 7 days in which to reply so I will get back to them with my new figure next week, and then run and hide lol.

Thank you :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that your gas and electricity bills are going to be much higher over the coming winter months, you would be quite right to revise your offer :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-en - I'm not in the UK though, but fuel prices here are horrendous.

Oops, forgot that - but surely you will pay more over winter ?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Sue

It's just further BS on their part. If they had any chance of actually obtaining an OFS they would have moved on it long ago. All they have left is to try and extract the biggest repayment they can, but they are frustrated because you aren't playing ball.

The fear they are trying to instil by threatening to go for an OFS, in order to extract the I&E, pretty much gives the game away. So stay resolute and don't give them something to work off trying to gain a larger repayment.

My advice would be to follow Abrigadier and also state that if they aren't willing to now accept your repayment you see no point in wasting further time continuing to correspond with them.

They're chancer's pure and simple.

Hi eggboxy1 - thanks, yet again. I know you mentioned earlier about not having to give my I&E unless a judge requested it - should I point this out to them and also, should I point out that it is joint mortgage, with not much equity to be had, and this debt is in my name only? Or should I just keep it simple? I was brought up in the era when, if you saw a policeman, you felt guilty, even when you knew you weren't and this is taking me right back to those feelings lol.

It is a widely accepted principle that a submission of an I&E form is paramount when negotiating affordable payments with creditors. Whilst it's a true statement that only a judge can FORCE disclosure a creditor is only likely to consider a reduced offer if they can see that the offer is fair and reasonable based upon realistic expenditure figures and information about any other potential creditors. Any skilled money/debt adviser worth their salt will tell you this, as will all the various organisations that license and regulate the industry.

I do get disheartened when folks on here say any different as there is the potential that it can cause serious ramifications down the line, e.g. creditors are more likely to bring further action.

Hi Sue

I certainly understand how you feel regarding your comments about policeman (my Grandad was a Policeman) but, sadly, much of the respect and regard we used to have for such offices have long since been diminished due to the changing remit of those offices in today's World.

However, it's those inbuilt feelings you have described that your creditor is trying to play on in trying to extract a higher payment through a mixture of guilt and fear. I have a lot of time for Sequenci but his "disheartened" feelings here are misplaced. If you provide an I&E (particularly to this Solicitor - Google them!) they will pester the life out if you in future as they know they can manipulate you with fear. CAG is littered with people who have "tried to do the right thing" but have suffered at the hands of unreasonable creditors.

Ultimately, you have to do what YOU think is best; but please don't make the mistake of thinking your creditor is trying to be, or will be in future, reasonable. It's a numbers game to them and, sadly, the tactics they use of fear and coercion will continue to work and be used as long as they reap rewards.

As I previously stated on this thread, you need to keep hold of the facts of your circumstances and understand your creditor will be aware they have gone as far as they can (legally) with the CO as they know they won't get an OFS under your circumstances.

Creditors, contrary to what many people think, aren't, either, vindictive; they are businesses and as such they won't waste money chasing you through court for an OFS when they know the chances of obtaining one are virtually zero. But as businesses, if they thought they had any chance of getting an OFS you would have been in Court long ago and you wouldn't still be being pestered for a fairly irrelevant I&E.

I'm a debt counsellor by profession so try and follow best practices where possible. I know all the tricks creditors try - but also all the strategies that can stop them trying it on. I will agree that some firms are a complete nightmare and that the thing to *really* concentrate on here is that orders for sale are as rare as red squirrels.

I do know that further action can be easily prevented right at the start if individuals engage with their creditors right from the off, a pro-active approach is certainly encouraged. I do appreciate when things have moved along a little a more bespoke procedure may need to be adopted. As an aside the organisation I work for in the day spends a significant amount of time and effort lobbying the credit industry as a whole and there are changes happening - albeit too slowly for our liking. As an example the new OFT guidance is looking promising .

I'm a debt counsellor by profession so try and follow best practices where possible. I know all the tricks creditors try - but also all the strategies that can stop them trying it on. I will agree that some firms are a complete nightmare and that the thing to *really* concentrate on here is that orders for sale are as rare as red squirrels.

I understand that in your position you would have to be seen to be offering the "correct" advice and I understand and respect that. I also agree that prior to any court action an I&E is vital to help avoid further problems.

But Sue's passed that stage and she is now dealing with the bottom feeders who go beyond the pale in their collection methods as all they want is results. They are not concerned with people like Sue's welfare or, particularly, where she gets the money to repay the debt, either.

At this stage the I&E becomes nothing more than a test to see if they can still manipulate and extract information from of you. If they do they will keep on trying for more; but once they realise they can't then the game is up for them and they stop wasting their time trying.

Edited by eggboxy1

Oh well, more of the same

Their reply today:

"Our client has reviewed your email and we confirm that we cannot accept any repayment proposals from you, without having full knowledge of your financial situation.

You have failed to complete and return the income and expenditure forms sent to you on 4 previous occasions. We confirm that all correspondence sent to you in relation to this matter will be presented to the court.

Our client is not refusing your offer of replayment; however it cannot accurately assess your offer without sight of your completed income and expenditure form.

We remind you, that this matter is at a critical stage and that it is imperative you provide full disclosure and evidence of the information requested.

Please therefore find enclosed, a final income and expenditure form for you to complete and return, within 7 days, together with documentary evidence to support the information provided.

If you wish to discuss this matter and complete and (sp) income and expenditure form over the telephone, please contact our office ...........

Failing the above, our instructions are to proceed with an order for sale application.

Yours faithfully"

Should I just repeat my offer yet again?

Oh well, more of the same

Their reply today:

"Our client has reviewed your email and we confirm that we cannot accept any repayment proposals from you, without having full knowledge of your financial situation.

You have failed to complete and return the income and expenditure forms sent to you on 4 previous occasions. We confirm that all correspondence sent to you in relation to this matter will be presented to the court.

Our client is not refusing your offer of replayment; however it cannot accurately assess your offer without sight of your completed income and expenditure form.

We remind you, that this matter is at a critical stage and that it is imperative you provide full disclosure and evidence of the information requested.

Please therefore find enclosed, a final income and expenditure form for you to complete and return, within 7 days, together with documentary evidence to support the information provided.

If you wish to discuss this matter and complete and (sp) income and expenditure form over the telephone, please contact our office ...........

Failing the above, our instructions are to proceed with an order for sale application.

Yours faithfully"

Should I just repeat my offer yet again?

The only way you are going to get rid of these goons is to ignore them as they are still trying to extract the I&E as a stepping stone to further demands. Sadly, communication only encourages them!

However, if you do feel you need to respond, simply add that your offer is based on your financial ability to pay and if it's not accepted within 14 days you will withdraw that offer it and use the money to repay your other creditors.

I think what you have to remember is, that if they do apply for an order for sale, you will need to get back to the UK to defend (Unless of course you are able to pay a solicitor over here to act for you) and you may not have much notice, as they know you live abroad they may try and pull a fast one.

Hi

I could get back pretty quickly if need be and this time of year is the best time for me to be able to do so, work-wise.

Is it worth me pointing out that the house is heavily mortgaged (in both mine and my husband's name), very little equity given the current market, and that the debt is in my name only? And that I am prepared to an I&E form should a judge request it - or is that a pointless exercise?

Thanks again.

I think what you have to remember is, that if they do apply for an order for sale, you will need to get back to the UK to defend (Unless of course you are able to pay a solicitor over here to act for you) and you may not have much notice, as they know you live abroad they may try and pull a fast one.

I think it's better to remember Sequenci's comment that OFS's are rarer than Red Squirrels.

This is for consumer debt, it isn't going to happen.

Yes, but if someone was applying for an order for sale I think I'd want to be there to defend it.

Yes, but if someone was applying for an order for sale I think I'd want to be there to defend it.

But this "someone" isn't going to go for an OFS.

And to keep pushing the "if" factor is misleading given the facts of both Sue's circumstances and the court statistics of how often, and more importantly under what circumstances, Creditors do decide to proceed for an OFS.

(My bold)

Will you make an absolute guarantee it won't happen by restitution if it does??

Edited by Conniff

Must agree with Ell-enn here this cannot be ignored

certainly this does give them the ideal an opening to

pull a fast one and get an order by default.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Must agree with Ell-enn here this cannot be ignored

certainly this does give them the ideal an opening to

pull a fast one and get an order by default.

Brig.

You see, it's this type of comment that has people who really have nothing else to fear from their creditor (given the creditor has a CO) that gets them sweating and panicking about the "but what if!" scenario. It's a total nonsense and totally ignores the facts of what happens in this situation.

Creditors are businesses pure and simple and, in this instance, they are using "business" tactics to see how far they can push to extract a quicker and more sizeable repayment. Saying they may "get one by default" is, apart from being total nonsense, doing there job for them.

The simple "business" reason they wouldn't go for an OFS in a Sue's case is because she is (1) - Heavily mortgaged - so they could spend a lot of time, money and effort realising nothing (2) - Is a Joint Owner so there is even less to go after and (3) She has children living in the property as their main home. The key to knowing their hand is their continued silly persistence of asking for an I&E. As I've said before, given they are businesses if there was any chance they would get an OFS they wouldn't waste time messing around on this matter.

It's why the court stats state reflect that only 0.3% of CO's ever progress to an OFS (which is even less than the Red Squirrel simile Sequenci used to describe their rarity.) And a simple scan of CAG or Google will see that OFS are restricted to cases where there is a council or government debt or a joint owner is trying to realise their half of the equity (but feel free to contradict me on this and lay out the examples of people in Sue's position have been forced to sell up.)

As I said previously; decide on the facts, people, not the fear.

You see my comment is made from

many years of experience and I have

learnd that on most occasions it can be

very unwise to advise people to ignore,

do nothing, it wont happen too many times

have I seen these matters then ending of

with judgements by default, repos' and various

othe orders, the creditors DCAs are no longer

making meaningless threats, the recon agreements

situation, the balance of probabilities revival by the

judges are all having an impact on when and how

debts are recovered.

In my opinion the suggestion that such matters are

ignored these day is dangerous, misleading and

verging on stupid.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

You see my comment is made from

many years of experience and I have

learnd that on most occasions it can be

very unwise to advise people to ignore,

do nothing, it wont happen too many times

have I seen these matters then ending of

with judgements by default, repos' and various

othe orders, the creditors DCAs are no longer

making meaningless threats, the recon agreements

situation, the balance of probabilities revival by the

judges are all having an impact on when and how

debts are recovered.

In my opinion the suggestion that such matters are

ignored these day is dangerous, misleading and

verging on stupid.

All good bluster, but where are the examples to refute what I state?

There are dozens of examples on CAG where people ignoring a creditor receive a CCJ; and there are also dozens of examples on CAG where people who further ignore a creditor obtain a CO. But this isn't what we are talking about here.

So, please, show me some examples gained over your "many years of experience" (or even some here on CAG) where a person in Sue's situation is forced to sell their house. If you can't; then you are guilty of making judgements based on incorrect supposition rather than the actual facts.That is far more dangerous as it creates unnecessary fear whereby people make the wrong decision for their situation.

Like i said previously, don't do their job for them.

As you seem to be the expert here go ahead

and advise as you see fit, if you can recall matters

over 40 years you have my admiration.

If I had the time or the inclination I could no

doubt show a large number of such instances.

Advising constantly to ignore correspondence is

DANGEROUS.