What does it take to get into the support group of esa?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am awaiting a medical for ESA,I had help from a welfare benefits officer filling my form in,one of my conditions means I lose control of my bladder 5/6 times a month,she felt sure this would meet one of the descriptors and I would be unlikely to be called for a medical,does anyone know if this is true please?She also advised me to send a letter back with my form asking for the name and job title of the person who decided I needed a face to face asessment and the name of the doctor who would be carrying this out,despite sending a letter asking for this information and phoning Jobcentre Plus 3 times I have still not be given it,anything more I can do?should I continue phoning the Jobcentre for this info or would it be better getting in touch with Atos?Any advice would be appreciated.

You will definitely go for a medical even if you have no legs and arms, but if the form is filled out correctly it should not be too much of a problem.

Hi,

I am awaiting a medical for ESA,I had help from a welfare benefits officer filling my form in,one of my conditions means I lose control of my bladder 5/6 times a month,she felt sure this would meet one of the descriptors and I would be unlikely to be called for a medical,does anyone know if this is true please?She also advised me to send a letter back with my form asking for the name and job title of the person who decided I needed a face to face asessment and the name of the doctor who would be carrying this out,despite sending a letter asking for this information and phoning Jobcentre Plus 3 times I have still not be given it,anything more I can do?should I continue phoning the Jobcentre for this info or would it be better getting in touch with Atos?Any advice would be appreciated.

You were advised wrongly. Stating a loss of bladder control on the form does not exempt you from an assessment. Not having seen your form, but there are probably follow up questions that would need to be asked about amount of bladder emptying during loss of control, use of incontinence aids, lifestyle issues brought about by the bladder problems etc.

And that's just the bladder issue. Do you have other health issues? These also need to be assessed. If you don't get a pass due to a condition or treatment that confers automatic limited capability for work related activity, then certainly as a new claimant, you would be subject to a full assessment.

If you pass this assessment and are put in the support group with a condition that will not change long term, then dependant on the evidence offered on the next ESA50, there is a possibility you may not be called for assessment at that time.

The majority of first time claimants have to attend an assessment.

I'm also not sure what your adviser thinks will be acheived by asking for the names of those making these decisions in your case. If you had a condition that meant you should automatically get assessed as having limited capability for work related activity, or you have a condition such as major bilateral stroke requiring 24 hour care, then yes, a complaint about the person who made the wrong decision in putting you forward for the atos assessment would be warranted.

Assessments are also not necessarily carried out by doctors, but by a pool of 'health care professionals'. If you have a condition that requires specific expertise, then a specially trained professional can be requested for the assessment. Otherwise you get just a bog standard assessor. And trust me, it being a doctor doesn't make them any more likely to pass you. What are you planning on doing with the name and qualifications of the person assessing you if you're told in advance?