Jump to content

Advice appreciated - CCJ issued to old address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise me on this matter. Apologies for the long and convoluted story!


I took out a store card from House of Fraser (Santander Card) when I was living at a previous address. I took out a card protection policy when I had the card. This payment was taken off the card every 2/3 years. Then the House of Fraser store in my town closed, and I rang to cancel the card but the person I spoke to talked me into keeping the card. I forgot all about it because there was no store and I wasn't using it. I then moved house and, having forgotten about the card, didn't inform HoF/Santander of my new address. I did have mail redirected for over a year, though, and have another Santander store card, plus a cahoot bank account, credit card and loan which is now all through Santander. I changed my address on all these accounts.


The card protection plan I took out (which I had forgotten about, along with the card) took the next payment from my card, but all the bills went to my previous address. I consequently defaulted, Santander brought in a solicitor and court papers were issued. I did not receive these as they were sent to my old address. A CCJ was issued in my absence (with me not knowing about the court proceedings), which I did not pay within the deadline because I was unaware of it. Apparently, bailiffs then went to my previous address and discovered I was no longer living there. I then received a letter from the solicitor asking me to contact them about my account. It was then that I found out about the debt and the CCJ. I paid immediately.


What I would like to know is whether I would have a case for having the order set aside? I did not receive the court papers, but I know that I should have informed the company of a change of address, although I find it ridiculous that they go to the expense of bringing in solicitors rather than checking if an individual has any other accounts with them! Also, I hadn't physically used the card, but a regular (although infrequent) payment was taken and I paid the amount in full as soon as I knew I owed money. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gimme and welcome to CAG


You give no dates but depending on how long a go it was registered it remains for 6 years on the CRA files.


If it relatively new then go here :-N443 - Application for a certificate of satisfaction/cancellation






We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...