Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I am looking for some help, i share a private furnished flat with my brother and we haven't paid the council tax, we are in Glasgow, we thought we were up to date and then haven't paid for sometime, we had received demands for amounts we had thought we paid, this may not be the case, we are waiting on bank statements to confirm what we paid, so we can look at the true balance due.


The letter I have received today (charge for payment / summary warrant which includes sheriff officer fee's) is requesting the full balance for 2010/2011 - 2011/2012, this totals to around £4387.15, ( this includes a 10% fee) they have stated in the letter we have 14 days or they may take us to court, which could result in taking of assets, arrestment of wages etc.


I cannot afford this sum of money to be paid directly in such a short space of time, I have a few questions...


What are classed as assets?


What can't they take?


How much can they take from wages?


Do they have to accept a payment plan?


Do we have to pay the 10%?


Do we have to pay the sheriff officer fee's?


I have suggested to them that we pay a one off payment of £1000 then £200 per month, they said they want - £1000 upfront then £484 per month, I do not earn that much and it would cripple me, i already have other bills which have to be paid on a monthly basis.


Someone's help would be much appreciated.





Link to post
Share on other sites



If you or anyone jointly named on the council tax are working , they would probably apply for a wages arrestment, it is very unlikey they would want to remove goods.


The 10% is applied to the council tax by the council to cover the SO's fees and cannot be waiviered once the account has been passed to them.


You can apply to the court directly for a time to pay order to allow you to pay it in reasonable installments. You need to print of the following form and fill it in and hand deleiver or send special delivery to the court on the charge for payment within 14 days of the dat of the charge for payment.




I would advise making up a full income and expenditure on seperate papers and attach it to the form, you can find a template on the following link:




If accepted then it will be ok and as long as you keep to the payments nothing will happen, if it is rejected you will be called to court for the judge to decide.

  • Haha 1

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...