Barclays Fraud Calls

Maevvy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4647 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my fiance at the moment.

I originally signed up to CAG because I was with Barclays Bank and I got monthly fraud calls every time my World of Warcraft subscription was debited from my bank.

Unfortunately, it's worse for my fiance.

He is currently receiving 1 or 2 calls a month usually when he exhibits this behaviour: Buys a game from Steam for a small amount and then goes to Subway the next day and uses his wireless to pay for the small amount.

The bad thing is, he doesn't have the time to go mental at them, because the automated message (STUPID IDEA) goes to our house and to my Mother who can't deal with it. If he doesn't deal with it in work, the automated message will continually ring every so often until it's dealt with. With it being "works time" he doesn't want to take the time out to deal with it. What's worse is when he actually has to have the Fraud departments phone number inside his mobile phone so he can ring them.

He has told them over and over again "this is me this is me this is me" the message does NOT get through. Last time they rang he said that he wanted those things whitelisted for his account and he was told that things can't get whitelisted (Which sounds like CRAP or just a really BAD idea).

When this happened to me, I was originally told that the "system learns your behaviour" and the calls will cease. The thing is, he's lived in this country (He's a Dutch national) for about 9 months now and I reckon he's probably received 15-20 calls in that time. It's time consuming, inconvenient, expensive (to ring the number) and has been embarrassing at times when his card has been blocked for usage and he's tried to pay for train ticket he couldn't get (on that day I had to buy his!) What's even worse is one snot in the fraud department tried to tell him they've only blocked his card twice or three times (??) which begs the question if you are why do you ring him to confirm a bunch of crap then? It's obviously on your system that you've done it otherwise you would be telling him that the automated messages were fraud!!

OK. I'm deviating a bit. Is the best way to deal with this to send a letter to Barclays detailing the problem we have and send it recorded delivery?

It's his money! If he tells them he shops here, Barclays shouldn't try to dictate to him where to shop! Yes, fraud prevention is a necessity, but surely not 15-20 calls in less than a year being flagged from the same thing that the account holder has told them is genuine everytime!

Advice appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Sarah.

EDIT: Would also like to mention, I also exhibit the same behaviour and get no calls at all. Funny that isn't it?! "Learning your behaviour" would love to quote Jim Royle but will refrain!! :D.

Edited by Maevvy
Additional info, fixed typos/grammar.

this is probably one for the ombudsman.

Write to the bank making a detailed formal complaint. Tell them that you wanted moved up to the ombudsman. In eight weeks time they will let you have a final response and then you make the complaints to the ombudsman

Thank you BF. I will do so.

Does it matter that we do not have exact dates / times? It's not something we thought to take note of and with it being phone based, we don't have a paper trail to provide to the Ombudsman as evidence.

Also, I would like to make a donation to CAG as you all have been brilliant in advising/helping me out on three separate problems in this month alone.. God send!! Can you please give me the details so I can make a small donation tonight? It won't be much (sorry it's been expensive this month) but I would like to help this great website.

I know rebel1!... 3,000 made redundant and they pulled in a massive profit (as always).

And what do they blame? The "recession"... What "recession" has Barclays faced? A small drop in profits?! lol.

Thanks anyhow :).