PCN Received Taxi Rank/Loading Bay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today received a PCN from the loacl council for allegedly being "parked on a taxi rank" at 07.52 22/7/11. This was a little confusing as I don't think I have ever parked in a taxi rank in my life. I've looked up the location on Google maps, and have worked out that I was actually parked in a loading bay, not a taxi rank. I was only there for about one minute whilst I was buying a paper, and the signs for this loading bay say

Loading Only

Mon-Sat

8am-6pm

No Return

Within 2 Hours

As I have allready mentioned the this happened at 07.52. Not much before 8am maybe, but enough.

As far as I can see I have 2 legitimate reasons to have this ticket cancelled when I talk to the Council.

Am I right?

Yes you are, if you really were in a loading bay. If the contravention is wrong, then the PCN is invalid.

Definitely talk to the council and establish that you are correct as to where you were parked. They will probably tell you to appeal in writing - go ahead, and you'll win.

If, for some reason, they say you were in a taxi rank, then that complicates things...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am 99.99% certain that it is not a taxi rank. I have stopped there on my way to work everyday for a newspaper for the last 3-4 years.

Assuming that this was just a mistake & I get this cancelled am I right that I can park there for a short while before 8am? That has allways been my assumption. I guess they could have changed the restriction recently, meaning it's nolonger 8am - 6pm, I'll check the sign posted tomorrow, but on google it still shows with the exact wording from above.

Well I checked this morning & there is a new sign, below the one I quoted above. The one above is still there, but there is now a yellow one that I think said no stopping 6pm - 8am. I'm not sure how long it has been there, it isn't on the google maps/street view, but I have to assume it was there on the day in question. So I guess I can't stop there any more. It makes no sense to have that as a clearway, it is a layby & doesn't get in the way of the traffic on the main road, but I guess that's irrelevant. It still doesn't make it a taxi rank so I should still get the ticket tossed, and the local council have cost that newsagent a customer.

Bad news, I went past the sign on my way home again to see if I could get a better look. The "new" yellow sign actually says

no stopping

between

6pm - 8am

except taxis

So I now suspect that allthough this is a new sign which I hadn't noticed to until now, and there is no good reason to have this restriction, it's not near a train station or anything like that I'm probably actually going to be stuck with this fine. It does seem very unfair.

For this bay to count as a taxi rank does it need any additional road markings? or is the small sign enough? Are there any steps the council should have taken other than adding a small sign below the loading restriction one, to show that the restrictions had been changed? Is there any chance I might get somewhere appealing on the grounds that it is a new restriction which I was unaware of?

If the old sign is still there with the new get a photo ASAP !!

Get photo's of the whole 'bay' including signs and lines, post

a selection for us to see too, along with the PCN both sides

with times and date left on just reg & PCN number/barcode blanked...