• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bank have No CCA but debt sold to Cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks i'm looking for a bit of help here.

Bank pursued me for a cc debt in 2009 and raised an ordinary cause action in the local court, however they could not provide me with a copy of the cca and withdrew their action on the back of this - the case was not heard in the courts, just withdrawn by their solicitors.

I've heard nothing since however, i've now got a letter from Cabot asking for me to get in touch as they now own the debt and clearly want me to pay it.

Can someone help me with a letter or guide me in what i should be doing? If there is no agreement how can the bank sell the debt and how can cabot expect to collect on it - more importantly i'm up to my eyes in it just now and the last thing i need is another DCA hassling me for money, when i'm just about managing to keep my head above water how do i put a stop to this now, can anyone help me!

:-(

Thanks Rebel11

i've not received a letter of assignment from the bank and i've not made a CCA request to Cabot as i did all this with the bank and their solicitors at the time i was served with a papers for court. They did not reply to my requests for a CCA but they had the court case 'sisted' while they looked for it. The case was then withdrawn by the bank, i assumed it was because they could not locate a copy of a CCA.

Do you think it is worthwhile writing to Cabot for one as i thought the bank could.not enforce things without one and why do you think the bank have sold a debt they know they have no CCA for?

Unfortunately your link takes me to a suggested letter called letter to be used when a DCA refuses to comply with a CCA request i'm not sure if this would be the correct letter to send.

If you CCA Cabot, and they send you nothing, then you can send them that Templated letter. I think the best thing to do is ask the bank why they haven't sent you a notice of assignment.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?285788-MBNA-sold-debt-without-ever-producing-any-paperwork-whatsoever.

okay, i'll ask why i've not been sent a notice and i'll send a CCA request to cabot

i've been looking at the library for a suitable letter and i've come across one called

" A-letter-when-the-account-has-been-passed-to-another-debt-collection-agency"

do you think this would be a better one to send - would it resolve the matter quicker - or is it better to request the CCA from Cabot and details of why i was not sent a notice of assignment? You guys are the experts and i'll trust your judgement on this it's just that i'm just so stressed with things at the moment that i want this sorted in the quickest way

Edited by BackinCharge

Hi, BackinCharge.

I've given Ida a shout, she should look in when she's online, what was the debt and what sort of money are we talking about still being due.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hiya,

Although they may not have an agreement as proved by the earlier action they can still 'request' payment. Do you know when yu actually last made a payment tpwards this debt?

When you were dealing with the earlier court action they would have been options to apply for so they couldn't come back to you but obviously they just withdrew so allowing them still to request payment.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

think you would need to send a tailored letter, got my hands full just now but we will see if we can get something knocked up today or tomorrow

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi Ida i was wondering if you had had any further thoughts on a possible letter i could send? I know you said you were busy at the moment and i appreciate your help, but i'm just a bit concerned about what action Cabot might consider taking if i appear to be ignoring their letter.

will work on it today and get something posted up tonight for you -

Dear Cabot,

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx.

I would advise you to refer this account back to your client. Your client iniated court proceedings in 20xx and subsequently withdrew their application due to non disclosure of documents that they required to bring any proceedings regarding the above alleged debt.

Please note that until such time they can disclose such documents we will not be making any offer of payment and will not be harassed into making any. Please be advised that any further demands of payments from yourselves or any other company trying to collect on the alleged debt will be forwarded with a complaint to the relevant authorities.

Please reply within 7 days confirming that you have now closed this account and referred it back to your client.

send recorded delivery

is that how you spell iniated :|

initiated :-D

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks Ida sorry for the delay in replying but I don't have a PC at home and can only get on one at the library or when i'm at friends or visiting family, i'll get this done though and i'll send this off to them today/tomorrow.

Just one further question, I'm not sure if it makes any difference at this stage, but i've just re read the letter from cabot and it does say that they are aware that XXXX had previously taken legal action against me.......and i should contact their solicitors to discuss the options for repaying...... does this make any difference to what i need to say in the letter to them? i'm sorry i did'nt mention this earlier but i've only just re read the letter again.

clearly they don't have the CCA which makes them unable to get an enforcement order or very difficult at the least. They can however register a default against you. Have they already done this? Sorry if you have mentioned this already. The view I have on these debts is something others on these forums do not agree with - that is fine. But please listen to both views. I have fought and won a few of these, but believe me as you may know , the prospect of going to court to defend these is pretty intimidating.

How bad is your debt. Is your credit rating knackered? Can you afford any sort of lump sum towards this? You are in a good position to negotiate a settlement for this, or you can just ignore all of the threatograms they send, but I would be proactive and get this outnof the way any way you can.

if Ida is about i'd appreciate her views on my post #20. I've prepared the letter as suggested but i'm not sure if i should send it as it is given that Cabot's letter indicates that they are aware that XXXX had previously taken legal action against me. I just want to make sure that i'm sending the letter to them in the hope that they will go away!!

In all honesty debt never just goes away. Unless they write and tell you that. You are in a good position, so yes wait til Ida responds, Ida has been a great help to me so hopefully you will get somewhere with her advice. I have been slowly tackling my debts one at a time and it is tough. Right now I need final closure, hence why I am prepared to go to court over mine. I have nothing else to lose and want to move on.

If you feel you are going round in circles with this then repost and then and only then, you can try the route I have with unenforceability. It's ****, but will get you closure and stop the letter tennis that I went through