style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, I shoplifted. And believe me, I regret it. The police were involved and I signed his notes, not sure if this has anything to do with anything (does RLP have any involvement with the police?) but just in case, because I haven't seen any other threads which are the same as my situation. The police officer also told me that I'd receive a 'small fine of around £70 from the RLP', which I thought was odd because I thought the police normally have to go through a massive procedure to fine someone, and the RLP have no legal rights to 'fine'.... (is this correct?)

So anyway, I got a letter 3 weeks ago demanding the 'full sum of £174.39'.... I'm a student, obviously I cannot afford this and I think it is extremely unreasonable seeing as they didn't really have a loss at all.

I got another letter today saying basically I haven't written back or paid, and it also says (which doesn't make sense at all and kind of makes me think they just copy and paste all their letters): 'Our clients offer of as contribution of £174.39 to settle this matter is still on offer. In absence of any response, our client is entitled to pursue the full amount of the claim rather than the contribution you have been offered.' This makes me a bit confused as the £174.39 was the original full amount.... odd.

The letter goes on to say stuff like 'You are required....to respond to us to advise whether you wish to settle the claim, whether you wish to defend the claim, or whether you seek more time to respond. As failure to do so may result in cost sanctions........' etc.

So basically, should I write back or just ignore it?

If I write back, should I mention the fact that I am a law student and my mother is a legal executive and has a thorough insight to the law?

Okay, I shoplifted. And believe me, I regret it. The police were involved and I signed his notes, not sure if this has anything to do with anything (does RLP have any involvement with the police?) but just in case, because I haven't seen any other threads which are the same as my situation. The police officer also told me that I'd receive a 'small fine of around £70 from the RLP', which I thought was odd because I thought the police normally have to go through a massive procedure to fine someone, and the RLP have no legal rights to 'fine'.... (is this correct?)

So anyway, I got a letter 3 weeks ago demanding the 'full sum of £174.39'.... I'm a student, obviously I cannot afford this and I think it is extremely unreasonable seeing as they didn't really have a loss at all.

I got another letter today saying basically I haven't written back or paid, and it also says (which doesn't make sense at all and kind of makes me think they just copy and paste all their letters): 'Our clients offer of as contribution of £174.39 to settle this matter is still on offer. In absence of any response, our client is entitled to pursue the full amount of the claim rather than the contribution you have been offered.' This makes me a bit confused as the £174.39 was the original full amount.... odd.

The letter goes on to say stuff like 'You are required....to respond to us to advise whether you wish to settle the claim, whether you wish to defend the claim, or whether you seek more time to respond. As failure to do so may result in cost sanctions........' etc.

So basically, should I write back or just ignore it?

If I write back, should I mention the fact that I am a law student and my mother is a legal executive and has a thorough insight to the law?

The police officer was getting you to sign his notebook so that you could not later deny what was said. I know of one officer who always does this when he issues a PND. If you don't know, a PND is a penalty notice for disorder, and is basically an on the spot fine of £80, payable within 21 days. If you later contest the PND, then he has his notes, signed as true by you, to back him up as a true record of events.

RLP are not connected to the police in any way, and the money they ask for is not a fine, it is an invoice for costs and damages. Sometimes the police will not issue a PND, satisfied that the punishment will be a bill from RLP, but the police are not familiar with civil law, and do not seem to realise that paying the bill is not mandatory. Some police officers will issue a PND regardless.

As you have seen from the letters, RLP ask for a contribution toward the costs of cctv to monitor you, the operators time, security guards time and admin and management time in dealing with your wrongful act and detention etc. These costs seem to have a tentative basis in law, but have yet to be really tested in shoplifting cases.

The advice on this board is usually to ignore, or to respond once, denying any liability, or maybe ask for a breakdown of the sums claimed. It has also been said that a case from Boots is continuing to litigation. I can state that RLP are asking for video evidence to be retained, in case they need it. Your legal knowledge, and your mother's, will probably have no relevance.