Holiday pay after a accident at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4646 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i am seeking some advice for my mother. She had a accident at work last week, she fell down some stairs whilst carrying a Hoover and has badly hurt her foot. She can still barely walk, and has a holiday booked in a week and a half which she may not even be able to go on due to the injury. Her employer has phoned her today to say that if she doesn't return to work by Monday, then they will not pay her any holiday pay for the two weeks she may possibly be away for and has had booked off for months. Can they do this? It's like they are forcing her to return as they are very short staffed. She has worked there 8 years, approximate 20 hours per week. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Firstly did she report the accident and make sure the incident was recorded in the companies accident book. What does her contract say about sick pay. All employees taken on for one month or more are entitled by law to be given, within two months of the date the employment starts, a written statement setting out the main particulars. This statement will not necessarily cover every aspect of the contract, but will constitute important evidence of the principal terms and conditions

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. It was recorded in the accident book immediately. No, she has never been given a contract. I worked there myself for 10 years and also was never given a contract, only the people who have recently started have been given one

Is this a small company? It all sounds very casual.

In case it helps, this is a link to directgov and their holiday calculator. It may help your Mum work out what she's entitled to. Also, there's a sticky on the titles page of this forum about accumulating holiday entitlement while on sick leave that may help, I'm not sure. It's worth a look though.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_184563

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If she has been signed off by her doctor, there is no requirement to sit at home waiting for the injury to heal. She should take her holiday, and enjoy it. If she doesn't get her pay before she goes, she can sort it out when she gets back as it is, as others have said, an entitlement so she can't lose either the holiday time off or the pay.