A sloppy start

Don-e
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

First of all, great site, I am still bolwed over by the depth of info on here, and punted the link to lots for colleagues and friends.

A school boy error right here!

I'm a little bit worried about the claim I recently initiated ( I kicked off before discovered this forum - so pardon my ignorant start).

Okay, so I had read in places and heard about the illegal charging practices of banksetc etc and thought I was due some money back.

The problem I have is that i kicked my claim off in a rather misguiged way. I am worried that because of this,my claim would be impared or worse, the banks would consider my sloppiness as an invitation to make my life hard...or worse still, see it through...

Okay, so I started this all off by by writing a letter to my local Natwest Bank Manager using a standard reclaim letter - asking for my charges plus interest since the inception of my account (First mistake being that my account was opened in 1995). As i didnt have my statements for that period I asked them to highlight to me all the charges and give me a bottom line figure.

Anyway, they write back, supplying me with all the statements and a cover note advising me that they worked the charges out at £998.00 and the interest they charged me for this is £362.32.

They go on to state that the charges are legal and in line with Terms and conditions of my account - which they kindly sent me They wont be coughing anything up.

I am concerned of the follwing:

That I didnt send a formal and standerd Data Protection request with £10

That the branch manager took time to work through my statements and came up with their own figure (although, having hada brief look, the amount doesnt look quite right, a little too liberal perhaps).

That as far as dealing with Natwest and following the reclaims protocal I'm out of step somewhat!

I understand the process clearly now...but that doesnt change the past hahah

Has anybody got any advice?

Sorry if this question has been addressed else where. I just want to get it right form now on in.

Cheers,

Don-ee

Well, I wouldn't worry about the letter you've already sent - there's nothing to stop you starting off with the step-by-step guide that you can find in the FAQ section here.

It would be worth while sending off either your S.A.R, or you can phone up NatWest and for £5 they will send you copies of your statements for whichever time periods you desire - the past 6 years ideally. ALthough the S.A.R is meant to hihglight any instances of the bank having to manually intervene in your account for whatever reason, most people just receive a set of statements in response anyway so you may want to save £5 and just go with the copy statement route. Once tooled up with statements, sit down and work out exactly how much they owe you - no point short changing yourself!

Seeing as you have already effectively sent your LBA (Letter before action) asking for a refund, there is nothing to stop you, once you've worked out how much you're owed, sending off the second letter - the preliminary letter. This basically lets the bank know that you mean business and that you will be proceeding with court action should they not refund your charges.

Definitely have a read through the FAQ and Template sections of the site - the spreadsheets for catloging your charges and working out interest are very useful.

Hope this helps somewhat, and welcome aboard :)

My original 2006 claim - Victorious!

13/06/2006 - Sent Data Protection Act Request (NatWest), recorded delivery.

19/06/2006 - Sent preliminary letter, requesting £3483

17/07/2006 - Sent LBA for revised figure of £3601 (after finally managing to open a parachute account with Lloyds TSB!)

07/08/2006 - Filed Moneyclaim for £4401

11/09/2006 - Defence received from Cobbetts

25/09/2006 - Sent AQ to court and CPR18 response to Cobbetts

30/09/2006 - AQ due at court

25/10/2006 - *WON* Cheque for full amount received from Cobbetts

"Things are made of littler things that jiggle"

- Richard Feynman

You havent done too much damage thankfully, your best bet is to start from the beginning and send a DPA SAR letter with the £10 fee and getting all the info you need.

It will take a bit longer but the results will be worth it!

They may not have been completely thorough with the search for charges you may be owed a lot more than they say

Welcome and good luck!

Cheers fellas,

the statemens I've got seem to be complete (just a little long11 years) , I'll just have to sit down and work it all out.

Just a bit jittery about technical aspects of the proceedure, I want to make sure that it's all air-tight as Natwest seem to be a little bit on the devious side (but then, what bank isnt).

I was a bit worried that they might have indetified me as a novice that I am hahah

I'll go home and do the math, I'll kick a blog/diary off when this is complete.

Cheers for the swift repsonse.

James

Strike that last post...i think a clean start is the best way forward.

Better safe than sorry, i dont want Natwest shareholders holidaying on my hard earned cash.

Next Step SAR / Provisional quantitive survey of my statements already recieved.

James