Sickness - possible dismissal. Terrified.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a very large company with an archaic sickness procedure.

"Stages" are issued for each absence that occurs.

Basically, I have had a couple of odd days off recently due to migraine. It's a pre-existing condition but it's been getting worse recently.

A few months ago I actually ended up in the EAU of my local hospital after being referred by my GP, but nothing was done as the hospital were having a busy day...

Today at work I've been told my last absence has triggered a stage 3 warning. This is the highest stage and generally results in dismissal. Nobody survives, the interview seems to be a formality.

I'm in a right state over this. I cannot afford to lose my job. I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. But it looks like that will be the outcome.

I've not been given a date for the interview yet. I don't have a copy of my sick record and don't know how to obtain one - HR say they can't give it to me.

A few things though:

I didn't have a "return to work" interview after my absence. I always thought this was mandatory as it involves fact-finding and signing documents. No idea if they can issue a stage without, have been told they probably will anyway.

I don't remember getting a stage 2. I may have though, as over the last year my personal life has been all over the place so I could have forgotten. I know that sounds stupid.

I don't have doctor's notes etc to take in as getting an appointment at my GP is awful. I made an appointment when I was last ill but it hasn't rolled around yet.

I don't know what to do here. It seems that I'm going to lose my job and I can't do anything about it :(

Trying to get through to them.

Just in a right mess, I was hoping that the lack of return to work interview would go in my favour. Now I've read that the RTW is "informal" and I can still be sacked.

My head hurts.

Been there 7 years, btw.

Edited by sarahlloyd
more info

I can't see why you can't have a copy of your sickness record. You're entitled to receive any evidence they intend to rely on prior to a disciplinary.

Demand to be given your personnel file or you'll submit a SAR.

Keep pushing for the union to be involved. Go higher up if need be. This is why you pay your subs.

Browsed the RM chat boards, the same question had been asked and the OP was told that RTW wasn't necessary for a stage to be issued.

Until I can get a copy of my sick record, all my hopes are on the lack of RTW.

rachel

royal mail operate uder the industrial relations framwork so we do not have a hand book as such

the cwu deals with everthing

your sickness record needs to be provided 48 hours before the interview

your rep should be handling this

i myself have done enough of these stage warnings

just spoke to union rep.

The lack of RTW doesn't matter. They can still sack me.

And more than likely will.

Oh dear.

was that the local or area rep

Yes, got to get back in touch when I'm given the date for the interview.

Not great though, he basically backed up what I already thought - that I am going to lose my job no matter what I tell them.

this is crap

it is not a sickness but an absence proceedure

managers have a brain in there head (well some have)

it is not a royal mail cart blanch policy to issue these warnings and dismiss (though they think different)

the problem we have is royal mail are trying to get rid of as many people as poss at the moment

i have defended 4 stage three interviews and not Lost one yet

HAVE YOU EVER HAD AN ATOS REFERAL

• Confused 1

Yes, but that was on another issue a few years back that resulted in light duties for a while.

I requested an ATOS referral from my DOM when he told me about the stage today. Waiting on that - no idea how long it will take. Not sure what they can do about this.

Basically, I'm terrified. Thanks for your help so far though, it's good to talk to someone who understands the procedure.

IF YOU HAVE A CONDITION THAT EFFECTS YOUR ATTENDANCE THEN AN ATOS REFERAL IS MANDATORY

THIS IS DONE AT A BACK TO WORK INTERVIEW

THATS ONE LACK OF PROCEDURE:madgrin:

CHIN UP

Edited by postggj

you bet it does if you have sufered with it for a min of 12 months and has been documented

speak to your dom in the morning and ask him/her to print off your sickness record then get back to me

Will do. Thanks so much for all your help.

Migraines have been chronic for 11 years, by the way. Worsened over the last 9-10 months but GP has yet to investigate. My appointment with GP isn't till the 4th!

has the reason been put on your sickness record as a cause for absence

you should have had another atos referal

starting to look better now you look deeper into the procedure, does it not??:wink:

Just done some reading and I've found out that migraine has been covered under DDA in the past.

I have no idea if this helps me or what I can do regarding this.

Anyone know?

Well it might but did the employer know about it? How long have you had it and will your doctor back you up? I have not read the whole thread so I do not know if you are in a union.

You could try this in mitigation as 7 years is a good deal of service and it seems strange to be getting the sack for a few days off. Usually it is 5 occasions within 26 weeks.

Was it more than this do you think? Had none of the earlier sickness days expired?

I have sympathy for you as this type of policy forces people into presenteeism which means that sick workers bring all their bad germs to work and give them to the expectant mothers and frail disabled. Dark Ages methinks.

Edited by Marieleeza