Parking fine.. bailiffs coming back today! Marstons!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,I am totally confused about what this bailiff can or cant do! First off my son had a parking fine, in my car which he agreed to pay, with one thing and another life got in the way and it has been forgotten, until I received a hand delivered letter by a Mr Mc Govenn working for the marston group, I called him as soon as I had the FINAL NOTICE letter in my hand and asked him who and to to what I owed £475.16! He gave me a lot of abuse down the phone about not paying my bills and that he was returning that day to take goods from my home, then hung up on me! I called him back and asked him (in a calm voice) again who I owed this money to (I could not read the writing on the final notice letter!) he shouted “the council for a parking fine” and hung up again on me! With out giving me any chance to talk to him about it! The penny dropped and I remembered the fine! Darn we forgot to pay it. He then called back to say that he was returning with the police to collect goods! And he hung up again. I came straight on here and have been confused ever since! First off I called the police who advised me to call 999 if he comes to the property and to NOT call him again, they have also given me a log number and collar number of the officer I spoke to, I have also written a letter of complaint to Marstons out lining his aggressive and unreasonable behaviour and the fact he would NOT speak to me about the fine, and asking for a break down of the costs (£474.16) which he would not give me (in fact he talked NO sorry he shouted over me the whole 30 second I spoke to him!) He has called again today leaving a cheerful message saying he will hopefully be back before lunch! So parking fine….. I have offered to pay here and now BUT am not willing to pay these HUGE fees!Have spoken to the council, they said its out of there hands I cant pay them!Spoke to Marstons they said to speak to Mr C G! Police have told me not to speak to him!!!!!!!!!!WHAT do I do? I run an animal welfare charity from our home, I have had to switch the phone off over the weekend because of the constant text messages he has been leaving me and now I am totally stressed out and worried! Mt son has said he will pay the fine (he is very humble about all this) and any reasonable costs…What should I be asking this Mr Mc G when/if he returns ? Any advice please ….

If he returns to the property, do as police say, call 999 quoting the incident reference.

If the council wont let your son pay the fine then he doesnt need to do anything.

The enforcement fee on a parking fine is 28%. He doesnt have to pay the hundreds of pounds of costs the bailiff is asking for, unless a court has made a costs order. Only the council can answer that, so ring them again and ask them when the costs order was made and at which court.

Others on here may be better informed.

Thank you Bartok, i will do that right now. Its like living on a knife edge on death row waiting for him to come back! I have read and read and read everything i can find on this forum and its been really helpful. All this stress for a 30 qiud fine for a poxy town with no parking!!!! grrrrrr

Mr bailiff is way out of order, have you kept all the text messages you received? and should he ring again then you must record any of the one sided conversations you will hold with him and should he attend in person then do as Bartok says and report him.

The Council cannot refuse your payment, take it in person and have a written statement prepared and request a signature from the person refusing the payment. eg.

I (your name) residing at (your address) did on (todays date) offer to (Council Name) the sum of (fine total) in relation to a parking fine issued on (date of fine) this payment has been refused by (name and position of Council employee)

WD

Well they were helpful! they said no they could not take any payment and we had to pay the bailiff..i offered to come up (30 min drive away) and pay the fine and any charges from there office in cash and they still said no. Then she said she would speak to her manager!!!!! I said i could not pay what he was asking and i also asked about a costs order to which i was told again to speak to the bailiff as it was in there hands.It just seems to me you get passed from pillor to post for something so minor! i admit we got the fine and i admit we forgot about it! >sigh

Mr bailiff is way out of order, have you kept all the text messages you received? and should he ring again then you must record any of the one sided conversations you will hold with him and should he attend in person then do as Bartok says and report him.

The Council cannot refuse your payment, take it in person and have a written statement prepared and request a signature from the person refusing the payment. eg.

I (your name) residing at (your address) did on (todays date) offer to (Council Name) the sum of (fine total) in relation to a parking fine issued on (date of fine) this payment has been refused by (name and position of Council employee)

WD

Yes i have two AP messages from him..the rest we picked up the phone (i also run a wildlife rescue and we are busy at the moment!) and then switched the phone off! Are these so called "fees" still classed as fraud? i need something to go at with him if/when he finally arrives!

i also asked about a costs order to which i was told again to speak to the bailiff as it was in there hands.....

That means the council has not obtained a costs order. Its only been through the Traffic Enforcement Centre for enforcement so only the statutory 28% enforcement charge on the fine is payable.

Others on this forum may be better informed.

That means the council has not obtained a costs order. Its only been through the Traffic Enforcement Centre for enforcement so only the statutory 28% enforcement charge on the fine is payable.

Others on this forum may be better informed.

Ok so that means the original fine and 28% on top...with no cost oder made and no court date how do i still fight the baliliff?

Ask the bailiff what date the warrant was issued. This VERY important.

Also the warrant will have upon it the vehicle registration number that was used on the day that the PCN was incurred. If this car is outside of your home, then he is certain to clamp it. So please be careful.

If this is the first visit then the statutory fees that he SHOULD charge you are as follows:

If the warrant was for £127, the fee should be : £38.72

If the warrant was for £157, the fee should be: £47.09

If the warrant was for £187, the fee should be: £55.50

the car is in my name so the fine is in my name, nothing to do with my son apart from the fact he got the fine! i have spoken to the manager at the council and he was really helpful, he said that the final fine was £110 and thats it all in. no other charges! am back from my MOT and still no sign of him! >sigh

Now i am really stressed out! written my letters, had no visits from anyone, spoke to the council who said that we only owe them £110 that git came back today and pushed another letter througjh the letter box now demanding £426.29 I just dont no what to do, spoke to Marstons and they said i HAD to pay and its not fraud and they are within there rights to charge me this! I dont have this kind of money..i dont have anything they can take! >sigh

Debbie, Dont talk to the bailiff any more infact dont talk to Marstons either, you will just stress yourself out even more. Talk to the council manager again and tell him to speak to the bailiff to except the right amount.. If he does not do this then tell him you are now going to make a formal complaint against him and the bailiff as the fees he is charging are excessive. The council are responsible for their bailiffs action. If their bailiff is acting incorrectly then the council should intervene

thanks guys...just spoke to the council manager again, marstons seem to be telling some porky pies! he has suggested i go back to the court who issues the warrant ...so will try that...I did speak to Mr Mc G and he is so horrid, he said he CAN come into my home even though i live with my parents and he can take there things if i dont have receipts for everything he can take what he likes, i said i dont have the money to pay him and he said tough, he can and he will! I again have offered to pay the fine which is £110 but they said they cant take it at the office because of the court warrant....will let you no what the court say! x

OK..bit of a result, spoke to the traffic inforcement peeps (phone number for anyone else who needs to appeal a parking fine is 08457045007 ) and have the forms coming for me to make an appeal which i can do via email, which will get sent back to my local council and its up to them to accept my offer of the fine payment of £110. I so hope they do....i might get some sleep and i have a very sad day tomorrow as seeing off an old friend. wish me luck x

You have checked of course to see if he is suitably certificated? Whatever happens do not let him in, he may say he has the right but that doesn't mean to say you or anyone else has to oblige.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do hope you have recorded the call in which these threats to attend and take goods that clearly do not belong to you, have been made?

Personally I would hope he did call again..then I would call the Police as they have advised and while they are in attendance hand the Bailiff the £110 the Council say you owe to him in cash and ask for a written receipt. Should he fail to accept the money or demand more than what he is due, you have the perfect witnesses!!!

WD

he said he CAN come into my home even though i live with my parents and he can take there things if i dont have receipts for everything he can take what he likes, i said i dont have the money to pay him and he said tough, he can and he will!

I have only recently been exposed to reading situation with bailiffs. They seem to have powers that are almost Medieval. I was recently reading a Lords speech on Vexatious litigation where much of the legal points were from case law set in the mid nineteenth century. They only outlawed Debtors Prison in around 1860. I thought I was living in the UK, not Bosnia in the 1990s.

My Avitar says it all

My Doctor says that I don't suffer from Paranoia

But I know what he's really thinking !!!

If the bailiff turns up film him with a mobile phone even, he cannot break in, or bring locksmiths at this stage, as the house is not in your name, any attempt at forced entry could be regarded as burglary, as the debt is not the householders, and you are merely a lodger. imho

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Bailiffs are constantly stating that they can ASSUME that all goods on the premises belong to the debtor. They are relying upon their own very loose interpretation of the court of appeal case of Observer v Gordon.

For the record, I would consider that this case can be IGNORED given the Judgment in the case of DSI Foods (Canapeum Ltd) This was an appeal by Sherforce (High Court Enforcement ).

The Judge concluded that DSI Foods had suffered a "real and substantial grievance in respect of the attitude and conduct of the enforcment officers" as the enforcment officer had "refused to consider any of the oral and documentary evidence that they were not the judgment debtor, that there were no assets belonging to the judgment debtor on the premises"

For clarity tomtubby, where a debtor is a lodger with no interst in the property, that can lead to any liability for council tax etc, aren't the bailiffs on a very sticky wicket if we apply the judgment in DSI Foods (Canapeum Ltd) to their actions if they do push their way in and/ or levy on garden furniture, and the debtors status as a non dependent lodger, house guest has been communicated to them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!