• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg card CCA request.

dunningd2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an Egg Credit card, but the account has been passed to Capquest.

I was under the impression that the request for the CCA had to be sent to the company who were receiving payments on the account.

I sent the letter recorded, with a £1.00 postal order. This morning I received a reply from Capquest together with my postal order.

"We thank you for your recent correspondence.

Please find returned your £1.00 administration fee in regards to your request for documentation under the CCA. Our client has requested that all CCA requests are sent directly to them to the below address with the covering fee for them to process directly."

Perhaps someone could let me know if this is correct? Would like to know what my next move should be?

Capquest are acting for the OC in respect of collection activity. You have sent a lawful CCA request to CQ and they have declined to supply one. Accordingly they cannot collect this debt.

Keep their response letter and no need to deal with them.

Revert to dealing with the OC

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

Thanks for your reply. Where does this leave me with regards to the time limit for reply to my request? Do I now have to re submit a request to Egg directly and re set the clock?

Well they have chosen not to provide at all so Capquest are now out of the loop. You can send them the account in dispute letter if you wish...its in the CAG library.

Your first post seemed to ask what to do about Capquest. Having dealt with that, what is it you wish to achieve?

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly), that as I had requested the CCA from Capquest, who are administering the debt, that I had no need to contact Egg.

And that Capquest had to reply within 14 days.Do they not have to comply with my request, as I am paying them and not EGG?

Do I assume that I now have to process my original request direct to EGG and therefore restart the process?

Hi

If Capquest cannot or will not supply a CCA document then they cannot collect the debt and you can stop paying them.

In any event, it is always better to deal with the OC where possible.

If it were me, I would now ignore Capquest as they have not provided evidence that they can collect the debt and revert to paying Egg.

If the debt is real, i.e. you know you owe a balance on an Egg account, I don't see what a CCA to Egg will achieve.

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

I do indeed acknowledge that I have a debt with EGG, but had assumed that unless a copy of the original signed agreement was provided, then the original debt could not be enforced? I also assumed that as Capquest were receiving payments from me, that they and not EGG, had to comply with my request and that they had 14 days in which to do so, or the debt could not be enforced.

Hi ims,

I do indeed acknowledge that I have a debt with EGG, but had assumed that unless a copy of the original signed agreement was provided, then the original debt could not be enforced? I also assumed that as Capquest were receiving payments from me, that they and not EGG, had to comply with my request and that they had 14 days in which to do so, or the debt could not be enforced.

Hi

Sorry for delay...been out at work.

In essence you're right. Capquest haven't (either can't or won't) provided the CCA documents so they cannot collect. Effectively they have writtent themselves out of the equation in my view.

It is very unlikely that you can rely on un-en paperwork from Egg though as if you ask them they will almost certainly come up with a reconstituted agreement which would be good enough for a court.

Hence I say revert to paying your debt off via Egg and drop your dealings with CapQuest.

Best regards

ims

Hi ims, Thanks once again for your reply.

My understanding was that the debt had been sold on to Capquest & that therefore if I sent a request to them, then it would be them who have to comply with that request. If they didn't, then the debt would be un enforceable without the relevant document in the prescribed time limit. I am sure that I read that somewhere here on this site!!

Hi ims, Thanks once again for your reply.

My understanding was that the debt had been sold on to Capquest & that therefore if I sent a request to them, then it would be them who have to comply with that request. If they didn't, then the debt would be un enforceable without the relevant document in the prescribed time limit. I am sure that I read that somewhere here on this site!!

Hi

The letter in post #1 from CQ says that they are acting on behalf of their client and administering the debt. If the debt has been sold to them they would surely refer to it as their account. Also if it had been sold you should have received a notice of assignment.

You're right....if CQ are looking after this and chasing payment it is they who must provide the documents. That would be their authority to collect. They have not provided such documents so must cease collection activity for the account.

Even if they have bought the debt it is they that must provide the docs under a CCA request.

Whichever it is, in the absence of the document, they cannot collect and cannot enforce.

They may however produce a document in the future, either a recon or original, which means they can then resume collection activity. It is important that you keep their letter declining to provide the document as it is their own confirmation that they cannot collect this debt.

The wording of their letter indicates they are acting on behalf of EGG so Egg still own the debt in my opinion.

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

Therefore can I assume my writing to them was a complete waste of time and money and that I need to send a request to EGG and therefore they then have 14 days in which to reply with the relevant paperwork? As I mentioned earlier, I am sure that the advice somewhere on this Forum, was to send the request to whoever was receiving payments on the account and not necessarily the original creditor.Or did I just dream that????

Hi ims,

Therefore can I assume my writing to them was a complete waste of time and money and that I need to send a request to EGG and therefore they then have 14 days in which to reply with the relevant paperwork? As I mentioned earlier, I am sure that the advice somewhere on this Forum, was to send the request to whoever was receiving payments on the account and not necessarily the original creditor.Or did I just dream that????

No it wasn't a waste of time or money.

Generally one would send a CCA request to a dca to make sure that they have the right to collect on the debt. You have achieved the goal on that front in that CQ do not have the right to collect as they haven't provided relevant paperwork. So, you can stop paying CQ.

Simple rule of thumb is "No CCA = No Pay".

Now, as far as Egg are concerned, I would say it is 99.999999% certain that they can provide paperwork, after all it is their account. So payments should be made to them.

The excercise you have carried out thus far just takes CQ out of the loop and you are back to dealing with the OC.

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

Righto. My debts are being administered by the CCCS and they pass on my monthly payment to Capquest. Do I now contact the CCCS and change the payment details, or will EGG now do that automatically? Incidentally, what is the relationship between Capquest & EGG? Are they one and the same?

Hi ims,

Righto. My debts are being administered by the CCCS and they pass on my monthly payment to Capquest. Do I now contact the CCCS and change the payment details, or will EGG now do that automatically? Incidentally, what is the relationship between Capquest & EGG? Are they one and the same?

Ah you didn't mention CCCS. What I would do is contact CCCS and tell them that CapQuest (a dca) have no right to collect this money as they have declined to supply relevant docs under a CCA request. Ask them to revert to paying Egg direct.

CapQuest are a DCA and are not part of Egg.

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

Ok, will do that. Now, as far as EGG are concerned, if I send them a CCA request and they then provide the relevant paperwork, what are the chances that the Terms & Conditions of the original agreement are suspect? The object of the exercise being to reduce my overall debt amount by any means. (Legal, of course).

My understanding is that some debts are not enforceable because either the original agreement cannot be produced, or because of the wording of the terms & conditions do not contain certain words or phrases?

Hi

There have been changes lately in the arena of un-en agreements. Many judges are now saying that agreements are enforceable by virtue of a recon agreement and a clear financial link to the debt, i.e. the creditor as used the account and has made payments back to it.

I think the advice would be not to rely on an enforceable or un-enforceable agreement any longer.

A better way to reduce the debt would be to claim back any charges on the account for late payment or being over the credit limit. Are there any of these on the account?

Regards

ims

Hi ims,

There are certainly charges on other accounts that I have with other lenders, but I cannot find any paperwork for EGG.

Perhaps what I need is a "Roadmap" to enable me to explore this approach with all my creditors. Any suggestions?

Hi

OK....credit card companies levy late payment and over limit fees if either of these events occur. They can be reclaimed with interest as they are deemed unlawful (Note NOT illegal).

If you look around the bank forums you will find a whole host of information and threads concerning the reclaiming of such charges.

If you have all the statements, great....you can start your claim straight away.

If you don't have all of the statements you need to send a Subject Access Request (SAR) to a lender. This is a formal request under the Data Protection Act and should yield, amongst other things, a full transaction history of the account. There is a statutory fee of £10 and the lender will have 40 days to comply. From the information that comes back, you can prepare and quantify your claim.

The general process from then is

1 -> Submit claim to lender demanding refund

2 -> If they don't pay then you send another letter threatening court action.

3 -> If theys still dont pay you issue in court against them.

One of the best places to look for information is in the Barclaycard forum both for ongoing claims and the "Successes".

Be aware that if you want to get these charges back, court is the way forward but you do have to be fully prepared to stand in front of a Judge as a claimant and present your case. Despite the fact that some lenders cave in before getting into court, you MUST be prepared to take it all the way.

I would recommend a lot of reading and research on this site so that you become fully familiar with the processes.

Best regards

ims

Hi ims,

Thank you once again.

I have been encouraged recently by a friend who last week had an £8000.00 loan with Natwest written off. She is using the services of a company who look at your debt and charge a percentage of any monies reclaimed. I thought that I would attempt to do this myself and avoid having to pay someone else. Why have this company been successful in having this loan written off and would I be able to achieve a similar result?

I will do as you suggest regarding Late payment and overlimit fees.