Arrears of council tax for property I have never lived in.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can help:

1. Some few months ago I received a letter from Council asking me for arrears of council tax for property I have never lived in.

2. I went to the council about it and was only shown one letter purporting to be from me, asking council to just leave one name on the record i.e. mine and remove another name that was there.

3. I don’t know how my name got onto their record at first place and I have never lived at that address, and the other name which I have allegedly requested to remove is also unknown/ strange to me

4. Signature on this letter is also not mine, somebody had scribbled my name, which I pointed out to the staff who compared signature from my driving licence and agreed they were not my signature.

5. On the advice of the staff I wrote a letter to council

6. Yesterday I found a notice of visit from bailiff drop from mail box, and I appears council has got a liability order. I never received any communication either from council or magistrate court liability order hearing.

7. Spoke to council they have taken my number to get back to me.

Please advise what should I do? Am I right in thinking they have to prove I lived at that address ?

Hello and Welcome,

I have started a new thread for you.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I think one way is to swear a Statutory declaration to the effect that you have never lived at that address, any utility bills or anything giving a date and your addeess at the time of the alleged residence at that particular property may help so you could send photocopies of them to the council, but not the bailiff, if the bailiff turns up tomorrow as they DO work saturday, or early doors Monday, do not let them in, film them if you can even with a phone, and deal with them outside, show them anything that proves you were not at the address that attracted the liability, and ask them to leave, if they don't tell them they are trespassing, call the police and go inside. beware they may try to clamp or seize your car as a levy, but they would be unwise to do this as they then lay themselves wide open to a claimagainst both themselves AND the council who are wholly responsible for the bailiff and the entire debacle.

Others will be along to give more precise advice soon imho, but above all don't worry, this will be sorted

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

You need to tell the council you didnt live at the address for which the liability exists. They will amend their records. Phone your local councillor and tell him what you have said above and he'll sort it.

Sounds like a bit of phishing has been going on here, no doubt a tracing agency has entered the name that was put forward and yours has come up. If you can prove that you were living else where iei CT bill etc as some one has already suggested then the council should withdraw the liability order.