AST & Furnished: Faulty combi oven/microwave is being replaced, Managing Agent refusing to remove faulty one.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Renting a one bed flat, AST due to end mid November 2011 and the LL is clear no extension will be possible.

Only have a gas hob and large (34L @ 30KGs) combi oven/microwave in kitchen.

Live on the 3rd floor with no lifts and recently had major knee surgery so can't not weight bare, let alone tackle stairs.

Oven has developed a fault and when warm (less than 130C), the control panel freezes. Managing Agent has agreed to replace the oven rather than repair due to costs. However has refused to arrange the removal of the faulty oven based on the fact they would have to charge the LL £50.

Is this correct? The 'Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994' seem to be vague...

Is there a black&white regulation that states if the tenant or landlord is liable to remove faulty electrical equipment from an AST let property?

Regards,

G

Is this a fitted item, or freestanding?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I strongly suggest that you do not dispose nor attempt to dispose of the unit, without permission, as it is clearly a fixture or fitting belonging to the landlord.

A tenant may be sued by a landlord for the replacement cost of any missing landlord fixtures and fittings at the end of the tenancy, and where the item has been disposed of it will be difficult to demonstrate that it was not in working order; and even if that can be demonstrated, the item will still have a value, even if only a scrap value or a second-hand value.

A tenant may also be prosecuted for removing - without permission - any item belonging to the landlord, since this constitutes theft.