• Tweets

• You mentioned the analogy of a woman who changes her name on marriage and can legally use either.  We don't normally ask posters here whether they are male or female but in this case it may be relevant, so can I ask, are you a man or a woman?
    • Hi Guys   I really could to with a bit of advice.   I have used the surname A (we will call it that to help with the explanation....lol) all my life. Name A is on everything i need my name for on a regular basis (my birth certificate, driving licence, bank accounts, utility bills, doctors....etc).   Now as a child my mum remarried and thought it a good idea in all her wisdom to ask the school to put a name B on my file.   So when it came time for my national insurance number came it had the name B on it.   Inland revenue said that there wasn’t a problem with this as long as i never try and do anything fraudulently (trying to obtain benefits in two names…etc) but later in life there was a few problems with ID not matching, so I spoke to a solicitor and they wrote me out a stator declaration stating that the person with the surname B and national insurance number is the same person as the person with name A.   This has always worked perfectly with any issues that arose up until I applied for a passport.   Now on to my actual problem….   I’ll try and keep this a bit shorted as the passport office has constantly messed things up and either contradicted themselves or apologised.     I applied for a first UK passport and as I’m English and fall within a certain age bracket all I had to send them was a form filled in by someone that has known me for a number of years. I sent this off and received a letter stating they needed more information and I needed to contact them. This then turned into the actual decision maker calling me back the following day.   She said that because I had put that I had been known by name B once that they would need to see that I have changed my name to name A.   After explaining the situation with her about name B and that there is nothing really that I can change as I only use name A, she requested that I send in my birth certificate so she could complete the application.   I sent this in and had a repeat letter from them saying they needed more information and I had to get the decision maker to call me back again.   This time she said she would need a stator declaration to explain the name. I said I have one of those (I actually forgot I had it until she requested it) but explained that it wasn’t a change of name and just explaining that the person with name A is the same person as name B. she asked me to read it out word for word to make sure it had the right heading…etc and said for me to send in the statutory declaration, driving licence a bank statement and a recent utility bill.   I sent this all in and guess what…… I get another letter saying they need more information.   So we go down the same route with a call back only this time she says she wants a letter from HMRC in the name A and a statutory declaration stating I have changed my name from name B to name A.   I reminded her about the situation with the names and explained that HMRC say there is not a problem with my name and that I would in effect be lying to a solicitor as im not changing my name to name A because its already name A.   She then completely changed her tone and started going on about me also needing to sit an interview…etc (that I expected anyway) and that if she was to give me a passport then there would be nothing stopping me from getting a passport in name B. I then said ok ill go ahead and have the passport in name B but she said a letter from HMRC is not enough to get a passport.     This has gone back and forth with different departments and I had to make a complaint (even that was a problem because I had normal representatives claiming to be from the complaints department so they didn’t actually open a complaint).     It’s got to the point now that I need to get the ombudsman to step in.   I had a consultation with solicitor that agreed that I’m completely in the right and said went down the lines of the fact that it’s not a legal requirement to have name A with HMRC and it can be presumed that I am going to do something fraudulently. And he likened it to a woman that has got married and can use her maiden name as well as her married name (there’s not one rule for one and one for another as this is discrimination).   I need to send something off to the ombudsman so I was wondering if there was some legal stuff I could quote?     Thanks for any help given and sorry for the long post….lol
    • The bigger arguments were   You need to stay in the UK to stay in the EU - and the UK would veto Scotlands entry - they cant now   Currency - you cant use the UKP - many arguments contrary to that and Scotalnd could easily choose dual currency - rather like the english and scottish fivers   Finance - For starters: * Kick the nuclear subs out and access the gas and oil and fish in those Scottish waters for a 10 year plus boom with no England interference and bleeding dry - as Scotland gets established in the EU * Fishing (in agreement with the EU and Norway etc was always more important to scotland and the tocks are moving North * Become the route from Ireland and the US to the EU - ask Dover etc how profitable that was *** Demand a full breakdown and legitimacy of the part of the UKs debt they might be expected to share - including the 100billion chumocracy payments .. if England dare ask   Hows that for starters?
    • They never included statements.  Just a list of each loan.  Date taken out and amount.
    • Hi.   As far as I can see, you haven't read any other private parking threads to understand how this works. If you don't mind my saying, you need to read more threads so you grasp the whole process.   HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 33 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

Arrears payment in full

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not a nice picture. This is from 2010, it seems as if they are after quick settlements because they want the cash and not long dragged out mortgages.

I wouldn't think that you would have any problems retaining your house should this go to court.

"Many, like Rooftop, Southern Pacific Mortgages Limited (SPML) and Preferred, were first owned by American investment banks that failed.

The current ownership of many such lenders is unclear, even though tens of thousands of ordinary borrowers remain on their books. The Financial Services Authority says it has no list of such lenders or their parent companies and no knowledge of what mortgage rates they charge.

In many cases the lenders are thought to be foreign, unregulated businesses that can charge high mortgage rates and become aggressive if borrowers default.

Evidence from Citizens Advice, Shelter and other charities suggests these lenders are especially harsh over arrears. The law simply requires that the mortgages be run by a UK firm authorised by the FSA. But these have no control over lenders' rates or arrears policy. "

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1240055/Fresh-mortgage-agony-borrowers-threat-repossession.html#ixzz1TQhTkg91

• 1 year later...
Hi

Our mortgage company are taking us to court on 2 August for possession of the house unless arrears are paid in full. My mother has given me the money to pay the arrears in full, I have informed the Mortgage company of this but they say they will not accept payment from us unless I prove where the money has come from and where my mother's money has come from and she provides them with bank statements.

They say they will still be taking us to court, are they really able to do this? All we want to do is pay off the arrears!

Please can anyone help?

I am having a similar problem. Engage Credit won't accept a debit card payment, or bank transfer, on the basis that their policy states' no third party payments accepted' . My mother is willing to pay arrears account of £2000 before their offices close at 8, to cease the house repossession for tomorrow morning. I paid 1500 last friday and I have arranged a court hearing for tomorrow, and mother will arrange payment into my bank first thing so that I can then pay Engage. Cutting it close I know but I miscalculated and theres a lot more to story.

I'm hoping will be able to clear arrears by 10 am on the 31st, but how do you think court will view this? Seems all this could've been resolved if they would accept. Any advice sincerely grateful.

Can you print off a copy of your bank account balance before you go to court? What time is your hearing?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Can you print off a copy of your bank account balance before you go to court? What time is your hearing?

Hi, not sure I'll have time to print it off, have to be at court 10.45, mother can't pay into my account until bank opens. Although thinking about it I could probably go to a nearby Internet cafe - why would tis be useful, as once money in my account I will be calling Engage with debit card, and they have stresssssed the money will then be then 'locked into the account and guaranteed as they'll have an authorisation number ... Only way to ensure money shows on your (mortgage) account' such rollocks but feel I am at their beck and call at this stage. Thinking about it more, I will have to print off bank statement, they ask a series of 5 'security' questions, if you don't have all your paperwork to hand some are impossible to answer. I kinda feel they using some underhand methods to stall, delay or frustrate!

They also claim if my mother was to pay directly into my account with them, it wouldn't be accepted and returned?!?! Can this be right?

You need to let the judge know all this - what did you put in Q10 of your N244? you did keep a copy didn't you?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Whatever happens, if the court hearing is going ahead, make certain you attend in person, it really is important.

In my n244 just stated Engage would not accept payment to clear arears on account from my mother. I asked Engage if they could send me a copy of their policy as I haven't been able to locate it on paper or on their website. They "do not communicate with their customers by email" ( had to send house particulars that it is on market via fax) . They claim policy will be brought to court, in my frustration I accused them of knocking one up! In addition, if I were to try and arrange for my mother to use their online payment system it takes you to an enquiry form. They had also insisted I only pay by debit card, but when I pointed out the option of bank transfer was also provided on their letter, the reply "oh, ok then, but debit card " etcetc. Without sounding like I'm whining to judge how do I present these endless barriers they've put up? Cor banks only ask 3 security questions for goodness sake! Really appreciating your responses, it's prompting me to remember the difficulties!!

You need to take a written statement with you to hand to the judge in the hearing - if you need help with writing one, please let me know and I'll draft one for you.

That would be great! My head is a bit all over the place as I've got myself in a state of panic, pacing, not sure I" ll be able to sleep and feel awful I've had to put the pressure on my mother. Didn't say I had offered them £1000 this coming Friday, this morning their calculation was arrears of£1100, so I thought this would be acceptable. I have made 8 calls to them, 4 of these weren't answered before 9 ( they state openings ours 8.30) the other 4 they'd referred my proposal to the manager and would get back to me. This afternoon the figure jumped to £2150.60 as they 'recalculated' and I'm not really clear how they reached this figure, possibly charges? At 3.00pm my mother offered, I called them, referred again to manager to ask if 'on this one off occasion they would consider 3rd party payment, run to court for an emergency hearing, still no call from them. I had to call them again. Only to be told no, not willing to accept my proposal, 3rd party payment and arrears in full please.

Ok, do you have a printer at home?

OK, just need a little background before I can complete the statement - stay with me on this thread as I will be asking for information:

1. Is the mortgage only in your name?

2. Are there any children living in the property?

3. What was the reason for the arrears?

4. Did you attend the original hearing for possession? I assume there is a suspended possession order, what were the terms of the order?

1 my name only

2 I let it for one year, just managed to get them out, house in a state, they are aware let out n tenants gone. Explained house on market. I am single with a 5 year old, sole support.

3 inconsistent payments from tenants. Tenants stated they would settle up on leaving, they did a runner on 3 months rent. Have offered, but not formally agreed by Engage to pay weekly to spread cost of monthly mortgage, I am paid weekly.

4 yes, suspended, mortgage + £100. My mortgage seems to go up and down, it is now £687 on a £157000 interest only mortgage, I can afford £160 weekly

Thank you so much for your help

Affixed is the statement for court - you need to fill in the information at the top of the statement where there are XXX's the info you need will be on the eviction warrant. You also need to put the transaction number you will get from the lender in the morning when you make payment.

Print out 3 copies of the statement and sign.

When you get to the court ask if there are any free legals on duty - lots of courts have them on repo hearing days and they can accompany you into the hearing and support your case.

When you get into the hearing, wait until the judge has finished opening and then say "Sir(or Madam), please may I give you further information" and then hand over the statement, then hand one to the representative for the lender.

LSD Statement for court.doc

Thank you so very much, Ell-enn. I would've rambled on and on. I will get back to you once I get a judgement. Once gain, thank you.

You're welcome - don't forget to come back and let us know the good news :)

Hiya, all sorted! So pleased . Arrears paid off in full ( thanks to great Mum) and although Engage didn't cancell order suggesting still go to court etc, their solicitor was fine. Judge thanked me for the statement, explained there are a number of problems with 3rd party payments ( contractual engagement? And probs with money laundering ) possession cancelled, suspended order. In and out in 5 mins.

Thank you for your assistance and time Ell-enn x

Don't accept the mortgages companies inflexibilities, make an application to the court.

Great result - well done:)