HMRC extends use of anti-fraud technology

sadone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is preparing to expand the use of a new technology deployed at a document centre in the north-west to reduce losses from fraud and error in processing tax credit applications.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/government-computing-network/2011/jul/13/hmrc-extends-anti-fraud-technology

"The company has tailored technology used by the financial services industry to reduce the volume of fraud and error in the process. It checks scanned documents containing data that people provide about themselves and looks for discrepancies or patterns that indicate a degree of risk in going ahead. It automatically assigns a risk score that highlights applications for examination by intervention teams."

"Once the system goes live in a few weeks we can be confident of looking at just the 'risk' applications, and can go with it in a different, more vigilant mindset," Fuller said. "You can contrast this with the situation of five years ago when they would go at it as quickly as possible even it didn't look right. It has changed the culture and atmosphere among the teams."

He added that Fujitsu has had talks with other organisations, including the Department for Work and Pensions, about what it can do with the technology. He said there are a range of processes for which it could be used, citing the example of grant applications."

Edited by sadone

I think its been in use for a month or two now!

My JSA did not go in as usual a few weeks ago, and on enquiry, it was because the HMRC system chatted to the DWP system and "noticed" an address discrepancy. (I had actually been into the local Tax Office to enquire about rebates, which is how HMRC had my current address)

It turned out, that when I changed address, instead of speaking to a Jobcentre adviser and filling in the change of address forms with him, which is what foolish old me did, thats not actually what you should do! What you SHOULD do is speak to a Jobcentre adviser and fill in a change of address form with him/her.

Yes, it baffled me too. :???:

It was even more amusing since the address change was actually given to a Compliance Officer, when called in on a random "have your details changed" interview, the week I moved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe this is why the renewal process seems to be taking a lot longer (8 weeks back log) this year?

Yeah, that and the fact they get everything credit checked by outside companies on top of everything else. The whole thing is frankly quite ridiculous If you ask me. There's checking and their obsessive checking verging on scare mongering.

All moneys going into the pockets of these private companies of course, who I'm sure will end up pulling in loads of poor sods as false positives of course.

I have noticed a couple of threads recently quite damning of proposed methods of reducing tax credit fraud.

Surely we can all agree the system is broken? You need only read the countless threads where tens of thousands of pounds have been lost on individual claims with no prosecution or penalty.

And before we shift the focus on to tax dodgers, that's not been the subject of discussion. But what is the issue with targeting areas which are notorious with hemorrhaging cash?

The credit systems were reported ages ago as a way to target couples claiming to live apart as far as I can remember.

Well I can only speak for myself here, but the methods the government pursue with these private companies often come up with false positives and so innocent people get dragged in as well as 'the guilty' and have to account for themselves under extremity stressful circumstances. Examples of which which are seen all over the net nearly every day.

Also morally I feel the manner in which they choose to do this (by spending thousands on private companies) is wrong and in the long run ill be seen as false savings.

As for targeting certain poor areas, well I find that objectionable. Sorry I really do.

The poor and sick have been made into scape goats more then enough imo and doing this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when I see our government act the way they do.

Also did anyone else watch that so called Televised public inquiry with Murdock, and see how he was handled with kid gloves and think If he'd been a benefit claimant how differently the whole thing would have played?

One law for the rich and one for the poor as It's always been. Shameful.

Well If It makes anyone feel happier when Universal Credit is introduced (which unlike the old Tax credit system) it will be means tested and a hell of a lot harder to get. Going by CAB's and the child poverty groups reports it will pay out less and folks will have a lot more hoops to jump through to get it and he impact this will have on certain groups will be devastating.