style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I'm new to the forums and I need some help please.

Up until last month I hadn't opened any mail or answered my door for years.

I had a problem with drugs and alcohol and as a consequence found out I had caught something that's ultimately terminal. This then gave me the reason to continue on my path of self destruction. I was on the outside a fully functioning addict, going to work etc. but I didn't pay any bills aside from those that were on direct debit. Quite frankly all I was interested in was finishing myself off. This isn't the case now and I'm on the road to recovery. I started by clearing out my letterbox and opening my mail every day.

Today I got my council tax bill. I have never paid council tax where I live and it's for quite a lot of money. I'm fairly certain I haven't got my 25% discount on it so I guess I've got that to be grateful for!

My question is I know I need to approach the council and agree a payment plan but I've read so many horror stories on here that I'm a little scared.

Could someone advise me on what is my best course of action? I can afford to pay this years council tax in instalments and I can start to pay off the arrears. It goes without saying that I don't have any assets or savings. (I've got credit cards up to the limit though but one thing at a time.)

(p.s. I say the above not to get sympathy but to hopefully help you in understanding how I can have got myself in this mess. I did try and get clean but when I got the news that I had caught something I just went more off the rails than before. I feel very foolish in not doing anything for many years but that's where I was.)

Thank you.

Thanks for the replies so far.

The total owing is around 6.5k. I believe this is the full rate and that I would have been entitled to a 25% discount. This years is for £1255.45.

I don't have a case worker as such. My Doctor is aware of both my recovery from drugs and alcohol and my medical condition and I have access to lots of help at the hospital/clinic I attend.

I've also got quite a few financial troubles looming. Not paying my council tax is merely the tip of the iceberg but first things first as they say.

I notice that the letter states I should have paid £121.45 before 10th April and that the letter is dated the 3rd April, however I do check my mail every day now and this letter only arrived today. (13th April.) I'm very pleased to report I have just paid the £121.45. only 6.3 odd k left!

I would like to email them tomorrow if at all possible. It's all about action now and I don't want to say I'll do it and then just grind to a halt so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Amaq

first step is definitely to talk to try and talk to the council tax department and explain to them what you have told us here

make sure the payments you are making are going off the current bill, and make an offer to pay the old debts by a special payment plan - also apply for your 25% discount to be backdated

i would have expected the old debts to be with a bailiff by now

if you cannot negotiate an payment plan with the council, contact your local CAB who can help with negotiating with the council

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put together an letter and send it in to the council today. Should I just send it in to the address on the letter or would it be better to send it to someone in particular?

if you can, send it to the council tax manager, as the type of arrangement you want is unlikely to be agreed by lower staff

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thanks again. Would you happen to know how I might find out who the Council Tax Manager for Newham is at all please? I'm going to offer to pay the arrears over 10 months. I've got other debts but as I understand it Council Tax is a priority.

Believe it or not my landlord had been incredibly helpful/tolerant/understanding and has allowed my to pay my arrears off over a year. Just before I stopped I hadn't paid full rent for months and then didn't pay any rent at all for 3 months either. I should so be out on my ear. It's amazing the help you can get if you just ask. This forum has helped me massively and I've found all the calls and letters have stopped. (I had unplugged my phone at one stage due to all the calls.)

Anyway, it's all about action now. Words are easy. I'd love to know who the Manager is but failing that I'm going to send the email and ask for it to be forwarded to him/her.

Big pat on the shoulder and a big hug too for your determination. Why do you want to pay the arrears back in 10 months? Seems a heck of a lot to pay. I had arrears which arose out of a mess up. They were only £1200. I repay over 3 years, but will soon be questioning what the council did, but will keep paying.

@ploddertom What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that! lol.

@terriersaregreat Thanks for your kind words. I'll be honest with you, since I've stopped spending all my money (and all the bank/credit card companies money and money I got from crackconvertors and pawn shops!) on drugs and alcohol I find I have a surplus to what I need right now!

Oddly enough I'm told in the help I'm getting that I'll always get at least what I need but not always what I want! It's really weird but since I've got in the mindset to start clearing up the wreckage of my past things have been presented in front of me that made it so much more tolerable. I can't thank this forum enough. The advice here is great. I now know not to open the door to anyone and quite frankly if anyone wants to take me to court I'll be happy to go and present myself with the help and assistance that I've seen given on here. They can't take what I've not got and I'm willing to make amends for any problems that are of my own making. I can't believe the times I was locked in my flat off my face and full of paranoia that the door was about to be kicked in whilst feeling sorry for myself! I even answer the phone now!

Anyway, enough of my idle banter. Thanks as ever for your help. I am going to write the letter this weekend and (thanks to ploddertom!) send it to the Head of Revenues! Have a great day.

@terriersaregreat Thanks for your comments. I've got to say though it took nearly 10 years of rampant alcoholism and addiction and the realisation that clearly trying to kill myself this way wasn't working and then a few years to actually stop and stay stopped to finally begin facing my problems. The great thing for me now is I don't care about any of the material stuff. I have very little in any case thanks to those horrific cash coverter/pawn shops. (They really should be banned or something. The items I've sold/pawned that I'm still paying for! Still apart from loan sharks who else are people going to turn to.) I now know what to do if someone turns up at my door. (That is to record everything, accept nothing, ask them politely to write to me and then go back to what I was doing.) I wouldn't have had a clue if it weren't for this site.

Hi Amaq, apologies, I seem to have missed your thread. First of all, congratulations on the hard work and effort you've obviously put into turning your life around. The maxim 'take what you need not what you want' is something I've always tried to live by. Surprisingly, there is very little I actually need to have a comfortable and enjoyable life.

Due to your history, despite what your income might be, I would suggest you could fall into the vulnerable status as detailed in the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. It doesn't appear, at the moment anyway, that you have been contacted by bailiffs - or perhaps they gave up years ago??? I would suggest - as I'm sure you are doing - face your past with absolute honesty. Hide nothing. Tell the council (and other creditors) exactly why the arrears have happened, how you are turning your life around and who is helping you. [We all love the underdog and the tales of fighting back against all odds. You fit right in there ... :) ] Always try and make sustainable and affordable commitments. If you have a little surplus then put some of that to one side for a rainy day.

Keep us posted with what is happening and many of us will willingly help.

Rae

Good evening Kelcou. Thanks for your post. Believe it or not drinking and using was very very hard but staying clean and sober is turning out to be erm well it's kind of a lot easier now I've found a way that's working for me. Apparently I'm on the 'pink cloud' but the crux of it I'm now going to AA and NA meetings. They have helped in the most amazing way. My health has improved dramatically and I whilst I'm sure this might seem a bit extreme to 'normal' people I no longer want to kill myself nor throw myself under a train.

You're so right about needing very little. I didn't really have much to start with and I didn't buy anything but alcohol and drugs for so long that I think my wardrobe's come back into fashion! lol. I've had some help with the most basic of things. I never budgeted before and that's an art in itself! I've actually got money to buy 'stuff' now and I find it very hard deciding what 'stuff' to buy! I don't really need anything but I'm told it's nice just to go and try clothes on and buy something if I like it. I'm meeting a friend tomorrow and we're going to see the Miro exhibition in the Tate Modern. I've never done anything like this before and to be honest I used to wonder what on earth anyone would ever get from it but my friend says it'll be a nice experience so I'm just going to go with the flow.

I'm sure bailiffs have attempted to contact me, probably quite a lot but I never answered my buzzer or opened my mail. God that seems such a pathetic thing to write now. When I think of the years I've wasted I get really angry with myself. I don't know why I'm not dead in the frist place!

Anyway, once again thanks for all the encouragement on here. I'm going to draft my letter over the weekend. I'm actually going to see some exhibition at the Tate Modern with a new friend this weekend and I'm really looking forwards to it. I've never done anything like this before but what the heck. I might find I like it as much as I like living these days!

Good Night.

Amaq

• 3 months later...

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

Hi everyone, a bit of an update.

I haven't yet had anything back from the Council and due to another 'issue' I had had with them I spoke with someone and was given a person to email. I did this on Friday (I have been paying this years council tax in full (although I am entitled to a single living discount) for this year. I wrote this gentleman and Newlyn on Friday

Last night an alleged Bailiff (he isn't on the register) came round to my apartment and covered the spy hole. I advised him I had written to the council and Newlyn and that I wouldn't deal with him at the door. (I had a friend in my house and didn't wish to discuss private matters in front of him.) This alleged Bailiff proceeded to threaten me with a locksmith to force entry into my flat and I told him again I would like him to leave his letter in my letterbox.

Whilst the alleged Bailiff was civil he shouted my personal and private information in the communal hallway and when I later opened my door I found a letter which was not in my letterbox at the entrance to my apartment block as requested but on the floor in the hallway without an envelope. I should add that there is no breakdown whatsoever as to how this amount has been obtained.

I believe this person may have also breached several parts of the Data Protection Act leaving strictly private and confidential information of mine on the floor in front of my apartment.

I have tried to ‘ask a question’ on Bailiff advice online (she has helped me before) but the payment page appears not to be working.

For the avoidance of any doubt I am not refusing to pay my Council Tax and I fully intend to bring my account back in order.

Can you please advise what my course of actions are? My friend is fully prepared to testify to the above.

(p.s. I'm so grateful for this site, he was hammering on my door and demanding to be let in to give me 'a letter'. Thanks to reading up on here I know not to let them in and not to speak with them verbally.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I have a thread in the Council Tax thread and wondered if someone with dealing with Bailiff experience would look at it please?

It's the thread titled 'Help Needed Please.' by myself.

The summary is a non certificated Bailiff hammered at my door last night and demanded to be let in or he was going to get a locksmith, he then left the sheet of paper on the floor in front of my flat. I'm sure some of his actions are unlawful.

Thanks for looking.

Can you give some more details to give the guys some

info to work on?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

As far as i am aware he cannot break in unless he has already gained entry and levied goods. He is just trying to scare you. If he comes round again record what he says if you can. DO NOT let him in under any circumstances. And i am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to help.