EQUITA bAILIFF CALLED THIS MORNING REG: UNPAID COUNCIL TAX

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here we go again.

dealing with Equita bailiffs:

called this morning regarding outstanding council tax of £710 from 2007-2008

have been recently paying our old city council direct weekly installments via bank transfer since april this year after being contacted by equita i still only paid council direct which was fine as had no visits from Equita but after missing a few payments they instructed bailiff to call today- which he did by nearly banging my front door down i only answered cos my children were there otherwise i would of let him bang away all morning.

after demanding £950 within 24 hours he took notes of my car on the driveway which he said is amount note paid within 24 hrs he will be back to remove my car.

contacted council they are not willing to except installments or take the debt back so contacted equita who told me to only deal direct with my appointed bailiff who is not willing to make an installment plan etc etc

so any ideas where i go from here? obviously not wanting him to take my car nor do i have that amount of money just sitting around : (

Edited by jenjuly82

£3890 successfully claimed from halifax (joint acc)

still personal halifax natwest lloyds to go!!!

Hi Jen

Are you a Vulnerable Person? If so you should contact the council, send an e-mail telling them to call the debt back and pay in installments. You should make

payments to the council not the bailiffs.

Make sure all doors windows are closed. Park the car somewhere else.

The nation standards of Enforcement agents 2002

NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR ENFORCEMENT AGENTS MAY 2002

Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

• the elderly;
  • people with a disability;
  • the seriously ill;
  • the recently bereaved;
  • single parent families;
  • pregnant women;
  • unemployed people; and,
  • those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English

no i dont fall into any of them catagories, the debt is in mine and my partners name for a property he owned which was repossced 2 yrs ago, my partner is a self employed scaffolder and im unable to claim any benefits but also dont work.

our out goings are £375pw but some times he doesnt earn that a week thats why sometimes i have missed an installment.

but with little to spare each week we are not likely to be seeing that amount in the very near future.

Have a chat with your local councillor, they may be able to get a payment set up either with the council or bailiff company at a rate you can afford. Or even your local MP. Its worth a shot. you can find your councillor on your council website.

my partner has just spoke to bailiff and he will only except £150 a week for 6 weeks for cover the £900 my council tax bill is only £710 he wants direct payments to him weekly over the phone.

Hi Jen

If your not claiming benefits and not working then you would be a 'Vulnerable Person' also if your partner is self employed then his income isn't guaranteed.

I would contact the Council telling them that. Speak to the Council, but ask for a Manager.

have you requested a break down of charges?

Have you let in in to levy on items and has he given you an inventory of the listed items,

I suggest you move your car pronto.. if you havnt let him in then DONT!!!

He cannot force his way in.. try and contact the a councillor.

Were you aware of this debt BTW?

have you requested a break down of charges?

Have you let in in to levy on items and has he given you an inventory of the listed items,

I suggest you move your car pronto.. if you havnt let him in then DONT!!!

He cannot force his way in.. try and contact the a councillor.

Were you aware of this debt BTW?

no i didnt let him in the house, but car was parked on the drive! yes he handed me an inventory of the car listed!

i know not to let him in my property keep all windows and dorrs closed etc.

from feb 2009 - dec 2010 the debt was coming out of jsa then my partner got a full time job then became self employed april this year

payments have been regular weekly since april this yr minus a few missed payments.

I'm aware that the debt is in joint names and that there isn't a fixed income coming in.

I have to disagree with you there Rebel, the debt is in joint names and there is income coming in, the OP is not classed as vulnerable.

I'm aware that the debt is in joint names and that there isn't a fixed income coming in.

As much as I understand where you are coming from rebel, there is still an income coming in, how ever if it was made up from benefits then they could argue the case. I think the best way for the OP to go is to contact their MP/councillor and try and get them to intervene to get payments reduced to a more affordable payment.

he got a mortgage in his name but we were both on the council tax bill !!

even so me and my partner still live together but at different property than the one being chase for the outstanding council tax bill.

so i would still have a bailiff knocking my door regardless

my partner has just spoke to bailiff and he will only except £150 a week for 6 weeks for cover the £900 my council tax bill is only £710 he wants direct payments to him weekly over the phone.

To do this he wants your bank card details - if so he will try and take as much as he can all at once and leave you with nothing. Do not do it. Have you checked with the Council to see exactly how much you owe - do not believe the bailiffs figures as he failed his maths exams.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To do this he wants your bank card details - if so he will try and take as much as he can all at once and leave you with nothing. Do not do it. Have you checked with the Council to see exactly how much you owe - do not believe the bailiffs figures as he failed his maths exams.

PT

we owe £710

he wants £950

extra £240 problem is if i dont pay him direct each week then he is just going to come back to get the car - im going to try pay direct to the council as much as i can each week but soon he will be back

I note what you say about him coming back and for him to that something appears not to be right.

You can write to Equita of course thanking them for allowing their Bailiff to allow you to pay in instalments - after all he has agreed this. Their website allows you to pay by phone, online or by post.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Detailed Assessment Judgment of Throssell v Leeds City Council where the District Judge ruled as follows:

as for your car how old is it? I.E. would the sale of it actually cover a large percentage of the bill anyway?

a vehicle should only be removed if the proceeds of sale provide that there would be a surplus available to the liability order after deductions for the bailifflink3.gif fees, , removal storages and auctioneers fees.

try and find the book value of the car the auction value will be less if it wont cover the above fees then your levy may be unlawful