Went in today and the company has been sold!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I am after a bit of advice, I went to work today and there was a general announcement that the business had been sold to a private consortium, we were part of a much larger company based in europe.

There was an announcement late last year that said that the business was reviewing its strategic operations and we as a company were being advertised.

Nothing more official has been mentioned since this initial meeting.

Many of us feel like we have been 'sold down the water' by the old business, there was nothing official to inform us of the sale, as companys allowed to do this? There are about 200 people working at my place of work, all of whom are now worried about their jobs.

Is there some sort of procedure that should be followed when businesses are sold and employees are transferred?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Disco :???:

Its called tupe

transfer of undertakings protection of employment

a consultation period should have happened

if your terms and conditions stay the same then it will be no problem as the t&c staying the same might have been part of the package

do you have a union rep

I'm not even sure this is TUPE? Surely that doesnt apply if the employer remains the same? It merely sounds as if the OWNER of the employer has changed?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks Postggj, I will keep you posted

What happens if they do try and make changes can we stop them making changes for the worse?

Got to be honest it just all feels a bit unfair that the old company just wanted to get rid quick!

Disco

Has the entity that pays your wages changed as part of this? Not a great example, but: - Argos Retail Group owns Homebase. - If Homebase were sold to another company, then the company "Homebase" itself has not changed, merely its owner. To my (very very limited) knowledge, that situation would not be a TUPE. It sounds like similar has happened here.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Ah I see, not sure of the answer though. At the moment the company itself still exists but what you mean is whether its still the same legal entity? They said at the announcement that changes would happen in the way that we work but those changes would be made over 3 years - no indication of what would change though.

More food for thought, cheers

Disco

Has the entity that pays your wages changed as part of this? Not a great example, but: - Argos Retail Group owns Homebase. - If Homebase were sold to another company, then the company "Homebase" itself has not changed, merely its owner. To my (very very limited) knowledge, that situation would not be a TUPE. It sounds like similar has happened here.

I don't claim to be an expert on TUPE (or anything else, except being a sarcastic bitch), but that doesn't sound right at all, Shed.

Surely it's the ownership of the business that's pertinant?

I wouldnt have thought so Rachel, but perhaps I am way outside of my comfort zone. My understanding is that TUPE refers to the TRANSFER of employers from one COMPANY to another. That does not sound like it has occurred here. What has occurred here is that the company has been transferred to another owner. The company itself remains, and from the sound of it remains as the employer.

All seems very confusing to me, I don't really understand what the difference is between the company and employer and why that doesn't make a difference to us employees. All I do know is that we are all worried about the future, especially as the people who have taken over have got a very similar business in their portfolio, a competitor of ours, and it would make sense to merge the two companys.

Disco

Hi Rachel

There are about 200 employees at our particular business site at the moment, the previous owners were a very large company from europe with lots of business sites dotted all around europe.

Disco

Hi

there a good guide here on TUPE as well http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file20761.pdf

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Me again, so since I originally posted things have started to become interesting at work, approximately 45% of the staff have been put under notice for redundancy, the production department and the dispatch department. They wish to get 'rid' of the dispatch all together and reduce the production department by 15% but also move from 3 shifts to 2 shifts. I guess everyone else is just waiting for their time to change.

As you can imagine we are all very worried about the future.

Also since then we were sent an email from our old parent company by mistake announcing the sale of our company to a trade buyer - nothing about the share being sold, I also don't believe that our company had individual shares, it was part of a much larger company.

It all seems very unfair that the new people can come in and implement all these changes and remove large chunks of the business without any kind of discussion.

What do you think?

Disco