Dirty Diesel - where do I stand?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

and don't say the bus stop! lol.I stopped last week put 40 litres of diesel in the van (2008 transit 2.4 TDCi). About 10 miles down the road, it spluttered and started losing power. Managed to get it to the hard shoulder, where it died. I had a poke around and took off the fuel filter, which when emptied out was full of what I thought was water! It hardly even smelt of diesel! I had it towed home again, and siphoned about 4 litres of rubbish out of the fuel tank!! Now I know this had to come from the garage I filled up at yesterday morning, as the tank was almost empty before I filled up, and was running fine. Well, I got the van back a few days ago, mechanic says it's running but there's no way to tell if something in the fuel system will fail next week, next month, next year etc etc. He drained the tank and he has handed me two 5 gallon drums of pure crap, it smells a bit like cooking oil? I sent a sample to the garage and they have apparently had it tested and said there is no way it could have come from their tanks. They said they had their tanks tested on the very day (how convenient!) I bought the diesel and they were fine, so they are denying all responsibility. Now what? There must be more people who bought this diesel, but I have no way of finding out - the garage aren't going to tell me. What would your advice be? Thanks! Gareth

Gareth, I am having the same issue currently - not sure why formatting is bust!

I think you may be on a hiding to nothing here. Your only next step will be to begin legal proceedings in small claims court, but I think you are going to have a virtually impossible job proving the claim.

Moreover, I am guessing that 40 litres probably only about half fills a tank for such a vehicle...? Therefore you may struggle to prove that the tank was virtually empty when you filled up.

I have to say, I'm no mechanic, but I do struggle to believe that this could have come from the garage in any event - although clearly your logic is correct. Did you ask your mechanic for an opinion on the source? Was this an independent filling station, or a chain?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Surely if the OP had put dirty diesel from the station there would be other cases as well, if he was the only person to be effected then it may be difficult to prove