why never to reply to 'phishing' letters/postcards from dca's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4639 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Hope this reaches the right place, and apologies if it has been covered before, as I am fairly new to these forums.

Five years ago, I was carrying on my normal everyday life, when I receive a letter from a DCA/tracing company asking me to phone regarding a 'private and confidential' matter.

I didn't know who these people were at the time, as nothing in the letter stated what their business was.

At the heading of this letter was a named person, same as my own, at an address in Manchester, which is about 120 miles from where I live, and so I thought that they had mailed this letter to the wrong address, and ignored it.

They then wrote to my neighbour asking if they could confirm my whereabouts.

Arousing my curiosity ( stupidity now springs to mind ) I phoned to find out what it was all about.

That one call started a catalogue of events which has now spread over the last five years.

I have been harassed by DCA's up and down the Country, chasing debts which are not mine.

I was linked on my credit reports to three different addresses where I have never lived, and trying to clear my name was no easy matter.

So as not to turn this into an Epic I will state the following:-

Anyone finding themselves in the same position as myself.

DO NOT respond to these morons, and completely ignore them.

I will gladly relate to my experiences if I think it will help anyone out there.

Cheers

Hi

My sympathy is with you m8. It seems to me that if you respond to them you get drawn into a system that is self perpetuating. Even if the debt was yours as it happens its not, then it seems to follow the same path. Once your on the system their is no process (or a difficult one) to get you out. If you actually owe the debt it seems to me more and more organisations getting involved. Credit Advice Agencies, CC Companies, Banks, DCAs, Courts, CRAs. After that I think it would be impossible to figure out all the computers that have your records on file.

Anyway, sorry to hear of you plight. There was one on Watchdog a while ago similarto yours due an old address. Barclay's would not budge until Watchdog got involved.

Cheers

My Doctor says that I don't suffer from Paranoia

But I know what he's really thinking !!!

Hi Sk1ppy and rebel11

Thanx for replies to my post.

I'm afraid that I have been a little lax in the past, due to work etc, but now in retirement.

I promised myself that when I had the extra time, I would devote myself to going all out to expose these morons for what they are.

Thanks to the CAG forums, which I must add give out some brilliant advice, I feel better prepared to do this.

Wish I had access to these forums sooner.

Best wishes to all.