• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Scrambled Egg

JULI99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Just Starting With Egg.

Sent A Sar And Got Back Statements, Signed Agreement, Papers Titled Contact History For My Credit Card And Statements From My Egg Loan With Some History Of Manual Intervention No Signed Agreement And No Mention Of The Default Which I Cannot Remember Recieving.

On The Card There Was A Repayment Protector Charge Added Each Month. I Do Not Remember Asking For This And Nowhere On The Agreement Or On Anything They Have Sent Is This Mentioned.

My Problem Is With The Default On The Loan Account

Which Is The Best Way To Go, A Letter Asking To Produce The Documentation Of Where I Signed Up For The Repayment Protector Charge And At The Same Time A Cca To Egg Loan For Them To Produce My Signed Agreement. Or Just One Letter At A Time, In Which Case Which One First. I Only Took Out The Loan To Pay Off The Card.

Anyone Else Doing Egg. I Understand They Are Not Very Forth Coming.

Juli99

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clear up this account is held by MY "OH". Got a phone call FROM A WOMAN WHO WANTED ME TO PASS A MESSAGE ON TO MY OH TO CALL THEM. WHEN I REFUSED AND TRIED TO EXPLAIN THERE WAS NO POINT IN ME PASSING ANY TELEPHONE CALLS ON AS WHEN HE DID RING BACK THEY NEVER ANSWERED THEIR PHONE. SECONDLY HE HAD ALREADY WRITTEN A LETTER COMPLAINING OF THEIR HARRASSMENT AND AS SUCH BY MAKING THAT VERY TELEPHONE CALL SHE WAS BREACHING AN ACT. AND THIRDLY BOTH ACCOUNTS THEY HOLD ARE IN DISPUTE AND ONE BREACHES THE 12 WORKING DAYS ETC ON THURSDAY.

BUT I WAS NOT GIVEN ANY CHANCE AS SHE JUST SHOUTED THAT WAS I REFUSING TO PASS ON A MESSAGE. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I WOULDN'T MIND BUT I DO NOT OWE ANYTHING TO CSL OR ANYONE THEY DEAL WITH. SO SHOUTING AT ME WAS NOT GOING TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING APART FROM PUTTING MY BACK UP.

ANWAY WAS GOING TO FIRSTLY FIND OUT ABOUT PPI ON EGGCARD THEN ADD ON EGGCARD OVERLIMIT FEES ETC THEN DO EGG LOAN WHICH WAS TAKEN OUT TO PAYOFF EGG CARD BUT WITH THIS PHONE CALL ALL BETS ARE OFF. HOW DARE SOME O*D T**T SHOUT AT ME. CCA TO EGG IN THE MORNING. ALREADY SPOKEN TO OFT. REMEMBER I DO NOT OWE ANYTHING TO ANYBODY THIS COMPANY DEALS WITH NOR AM I MARRIED TO THE PERSON WHOSE NAME THESE DEBTS ARE IN SO THEY HAVE PICKED ON THE WRONG PERSON THIS TIME.

VERY VERY MAD.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JULI99

SPOKE TO OFT WHO TOLD ME TO CALL THE POLICE WHO TOLD ME TO CALL THE CAB.

ANYONE ELSE DEALT WITH CAB IN WATFORD. PERSON I SPOKE TO THERE FIRSTLY TOLD ME SHE DID NOT KNOW OF ANY LAWS ETC WHERE YOU COULD GET YOUR OVERLIMIT FEES ETC BACK. THEN SHE FOUND THEIR ADVICE WHICH INVOLVED APOLOGISING FOR THE LATE PAYMENTS AND LEAVING IT TO THE DISCRETION OF THE COMPANY OF WHAT YOU COULD GET BACK. IF YOU HAD BEEN A REGULAR RULE BREAKER THEN THE COMPANY WAS WITHIN ITS RIGHTS TO REFUSE TO REFUND THE CHARGES. BUT IF YOU WEREN'T THEN UNDER THE Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 YOU COULD GET YOUR MONEY BACK. I LEFT IT AT THAT AS THERE WAS NO POINT IN TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO THIS WOMAN THAT WHAT SHE WAS SAYING DID NOT MAKE SENSE. HOWEVER SHE DID SAY THAT MY OH SHOULD WRITE ANOTHER LETTER AND IF THEY FAILED TO STOP CALLING THEN TO CALL THE POLICE.

ANYONE ELSE DEALT WITH WATFORD CAB OR ANY OTHER CAB THAT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON.

JULI99

Received letter yesterday saying thanks for letter dated 22/9/06 " I can now confirm that your Card Repayment Protection policy has now been cancelled."

I had written

You appear to have charged me "credit card repayment protector."

Could you please send me the authorisation form as I do not remember ever signing up for this.

The card was cancelled nearly 2 years ago.

Another letter to send today.

JULI99

I had exactly the same with them over the protection. They said that if you do a balance transfer onto the CC it is automatically applied to the account unless you tell them not to. It must be printed in swaheli somewhere cos I still cant find it. Is there any point adding these amounts into the claim under those circs? if so I will def do this once I can pay off the whole amount of the card. I cant do anything until Im in a position to do that as they will just counterlaim for the balance of the account

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

Only the nasty abusive type! I have quite a lot of available credit on my card I havent used it for about 3 months as I want to pay it of its like a thorn in my side. However I got a call on my mobile at work ( which I have asked them time & again not to do) to ask if I wanted the balance trnsferring onto a loan. when I said no the "girl" (sounded about 16) said I was not to use my card then until I had rung her for a chat about my finances as they are a concerned lender & dont want to encourage people to get out of their depths. Concerned my eye they are a load of bullying twerps

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

Received Screen Shot Saying

...................................______________________________________

Payment Protection......... Accident, Sickness, Unemployment And Life

...................................______________________________________

This Bit Appears To Be In Their Own Part Of The Form As It Is Next To The Boxes Which States Risk Band, Credit Score.

I Also Looked On Their Website And Went Thru Their Application Form The Bit Where You Apply For Insurance Does Not Look Anything Like This.

So Do You Think One More Chance To Send Me Something Signed Which Showed I Had Agreed To This Insurance.

The Signed Credit Agreement Makes No Mention Of Any Insurance Policy

Juli99

Had A Bit Of Other Stuff To Do Last Week So Sat Down This Morning And Started To Catch Up.

The Covering Letter I Received With The Above Screen Shot I Have Only Just Read. It Says:-

Thank You For Your Recent Letter Dated 6th October 2006 Regarding Your Card Repayment Protection Charges.

You Opted For Card Repayment Protection On The 14th November 2006:-o On Your Online Application. I have Enclosed A Copy For Your Reference.

The Cover Has Now Been Removed etc etc

I Think Someone Is A Bit Confused. I Know I Am.

Actually I Do Have A Copy Of The Screen Shot Titled "Application Review" Egg Sent To Me When I Sent My S.A.R. And This Looks Nothing Like The Page They Are Now Sending Me.

Should I Give Egg One More Chance or Do A Prelim Straight Away. After All Weren't Egg Supposed To Send Me Everything They Hold On Me When I Sent The S.A.R. Including All The Pages From The "Original Application Form".

JULI99

• 3 weeks later...

Took Another Look At Eggs Copy Of Screen Shot (see Above) And Noticed That The Customer Id Number Relates To My Egg Loan Not My Egg Card.

Funny Thing Is The Egg Loan Has Never Had Insurance On It.

Something Tells Me Egg Are Either Completely Incompetent Or Are Making Up These Screen Shots.

Naughty Naughty Egg.

Waiting for what they come up with next in greatest anticipation. Oh what joy when they make big c**k ups like this. Don't know if I can say C**K UP :lol:

Juli99

Recieved Letter Today Saying Sorry I Have Had To Complain And A Customer Relations Advisor Would Get To Work On My Case Right Away. Then They Go Onto Set Out Their Timetable For Dealing With Such Issues

They Will Acknowledge My Complaint Within 5 Days.

If They Are Unable To Resolve It Within 4 Weeks They Will Tell Me Why

If We Cannot Resolve It Within 8 Weeks They Will Contact Me Again And Explain Why.

They Have Already Acknowledged, And Thought They Had Resolved This So According To Their Own Timetable They Have Until Next Week To Resolve It. The "complaint" Goes Back To September.

I Am Really Looking Forward To Their Explanation On This.

Juli99

• 3 weeks later...

Well Times Up For My Egg Loan. (you Know The One That Has Never Had Insurance Added On As Far As I Was Aware And They Were Aware But Then Screen Shot Sent To Say It Was Requested When I Asked For Proof Of Authorisation To Show I Had Requested Insurance For My Egg Card Taken Out The Year Before. Seems They Got Confused).

Cca Sent 4th October 12 Days Up 23rd October + 1 Month Later = 23rd November.

Have Found Reference To Another Loan I Forgot I Had With Them. S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Going Off Tonight. I Wonder What That Account Will Throw Up.:)

Juli99

Ah so thats what you're on about. Sorry but nearly always have caps lock on and then when you press "post quick reply" it always changes to capitals at beginning of word and then little letters following. No idea how you change it.

Does It Really Annoy You That Much?

Juli99

Just recieved standard reply to Prelim letter.

I am claiming a handful of £20 over limit charges but the main bulk of my claim is for refunding my credit card repayment protector which was set up without authorisation.

Now I know they have not looked at this case at all and this is a standard letter because one paragraph says that it is Eggs policy to terminate the account if legal proceedings are issued and then goes on to say the customer will be obliged to repay any moneys owing and failiure to pay will result in a counterclaim etc... I am in credit and any counter claim would just push the money owed by them up further!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice one Egg. Like Sainsburys might I suggest you read my letters instead of assuming what they say and giving out standard replys.

juli99

Having read around the site I get the impression that Egg counter claim if you go after them. This account is for my credit card which is in credit but I do have a loan with them under a separate account number. If I go after the credit card are they likely to counterclaim with the loan amount outstanding.

Also what happens if I have done a CCA letter for my loan account asking for the credit agreement but the 12 days + 1 month has now passed and I have heard not a dickie bird from them.

It is now incredibly confusing since they sent the screen shot with the loan account number on saying "I had requested" insurance but I know I didn't and nowhere on anything I have got from them says I did. It seems in their rush to prove I asked for insurance on my credit card they sent me a screen shot saying I asked for insurance but the account number on it relates to my loan account.

Does anyone reckon they are making things up as they go along.

If this sounds confusing I will take you thru it step by step.

Any comments will be most appreciated.

JULI99

Hi julie im in the same position with egg got same reply off them , my PP agreement was apparantly made over the phone after them offering me 3 months free then continued to charge me to a total of £761 i have since changed my card and owe them nothing.so there threat of "breaking friends" does'nt bother me .

Have you any advice?

My problem is if they would come after me for my loan. I would like to know are they able to counter claim on a different account. Otherwise it would be all systems go. As it is I am sending off my LBA later on this week that should give me a couple of weeks to do some more research.

If you don't owe egg anything then I'd go after them big time. The fact that they are including the counterclaim threat in all the letters suggest that they have given up reading what people are actually writing and have taken to assuming that everyone of us is in exactly the same position.

Seems Sainsburys are doing the same thing. They have had so many credit card disputes that when I came along disputing my bank loan the credit card section decided to defend the claim. Their defense being I do not have a credit card!!!!!!!!

JULI99

Reported my case to Trading Standards whose first question after I had explained everything was to ask if I took out a credit card in 2003 how come it has taken so long to get round to asking for my money back.

After I had explained that I was within 6 years he seemed to get it.

Think I got the YTS boy.:rolleyes:

Anyway Egg reported for non compliance re the cca on my loan.

Also TS going to look into the sending of documentation to say that I had taken out insurance on an account by sending documentation relating to another account. That other account I am certain did not have insurance on it so where this document comes from I can only guess!!!!!!!!.

No wonder they don't want me to see the credit agreement.

Anyone else had trouble with egg.

JULI99

I am in the same situation as you where I have a loan with egg too. I am not claiming any charges from my loan account, but am claiming for charges made to a, now closed, credit card account with them. I have been trying to find out how they oporate and whether they would counter claim against my loan if I chased them for a refund for my card charges.

From what I have read so far, a claim against one account should not interfere with another account with the same company, although I haven't read it specifically about egg. I will try and find out more and come back to this thread.

In the meantime... Does anyone out there know for sure??

Maxine

Moodle

I also want to know where I stand with the screen shot they sent me. This they thought was to prove that I had asked for the insurance on my egg card but it refers to my egg loan account number. I know I didn't take out insurance on my loan account and am amost certain that none was added on. I have asked for the credit agreement by sending the cca letter. They do not reply and at least 2 months have now passed.

This case has been referred to Trading Standards. I am expecting a call back in the next 24 hours. I will let you know how I get on.

In the meantime anyone wanting to chip in their thoughts on this please don't hesitate to post. As the calls I usually got from dca's, banks and credit card companies seemed to have dried up and am feeling rather lonely.

juli99

Hi Juli99,

Seems you have been taken for a ride by Egg! If they aren't doing what you have asked them to do, report them! You can take them to court for not complying with your request for documents that you are entitled to! If you've made any threats in any of the letters you sent that they haven't complied with, follow through! Take the threats and act on them! Write your own letters, tweak the templates, ANYTHING to make your letter different as they are fed up of receiving the same old letters. If yours looks different they may actually read it and you may get some sense out of them!

Maxine989,

If you are reclaimaing any charges with EGG, do it for ALL your accounts with them. As long as it doesn't go over the £5,000 small claims limit. If you are claiming on a closed account and have an open account, they will ask for it to be repaid in full. The legalities of this are unclear to me. If this does happen then as long as you keep paying the agreed amount as good will then they will struggle to get the whole whack back! It would have to be taken to court....

Recieved letter today.

According to a Customer Relations Advisor (not too sure what he is advising). I asked for Card repayment protection when I made my online application. I also signed for the protection when I signed for the card.

The only thing I signed was the credit agreement and as they kindly sent me a copy when I did my S.A.R. I am able to scour it at my leisure. Guess what, no mention of any form of insurance anywhere. The only piece of paperwork that mentions insurance is the screenshot they sent which gives employment details on the top then a big black line across the page then goes on to show Credit limit, Risk band, Credit Score etc and in between there is a line which reads Payment Protection Accident, Sickness, Unemployment and Life. It is placed in an area where it would suggest that only Egg themselves would have access to although I might be wrong and filled out my own credit limit, risk band and credit score etc

It then goes on to say that a letter confirming the Card Payment Protection was sent with my Egg Card, it also had the T&Cs of the policy. The policy details can also be accessed on EGG.com at any time.

The policy details the cooling off period in which you could have cancelled and had any premiums paid back

Premiums were applied to your Egg card each month there was a statement balance.

The premiums are clearly shown on your monthly online Egg Card statements under the description of CREDIT COVER PREMIUM. An email is sent to you each month to remind you that your statement is available. These statements are provided so that you can regularly monitor your finances.

The Egg card is an internet based account where no paper statements are provided. It is the responsibility of the account holders to monitor their finances. You had the opportunity to query the premiums at a much earlier stage - mitigating your losses by doing so.

The policy was not queried until 29 September 2006.

The information you entered was transposed into a data format we use to store your details. This information was electronically transposed without human intervention.

The Card Repayment Protection is a mandatory question and you cannot continue without an answer.

As Egg has made you aware of the Card Repayment Protection protecting your account in writing and on your Egg card statements, but you did not dispute the policy until recently. I am unable to uphold your complaint.

Your policy has now been cancelled and no further premiums will be charged. Without this protection in place it is your responsibilityto ensure that you keep up payments should you fall ill or lose your job.

I cannot remember ever recieving anything about Card Repayment Protection.

I can never remember passwords or user names so never looked at my emails. As they say it is internet based account where no paperwork is provided. So never really saw a statement.

Liked the bit about mitigating my losses. So they are losses.

Also does it matter when I queried it.

Anyone any ideas what the bit about transposing into a data format and electronically transposed without human intervention means.

Have to say I think they have not looked at my account the bit about keeping up repayments is a hoot they owe me money as my account is in credit.

juli99