• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Im new here please be gentle with me! I have spent a few days looking around this site but cannot for the life of me find out how to post a new thread, so I apologise for posting this here....perhaps someone could point me in the right direction? (I'm not really a techie).

We have around £80,000 of credit card/loan debt and are looking to hopefully reduce this by full & final settlements with the help of a family friend - we are currently on a dmp that will take around 160 years to pay off! The company that manages our dmp promises to achive a fantastic reduction by use of full & final settlement but has so far achieved nothing & keeps fobbing us off.....we would be very grateful for any advice

Hi and welcome to CAG,

New thread button top of debt collection sub forum just below the

announcements, on the left.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thecamerman Hi Welcome.the first question who is the DMP with as I get the feeling you are paying a company who promise much and deliver nothing,A much better service can be done free of charge,CCCS for example

Full and Finals solves the problem but it is a minefield read Blogs(Sequencis blog very good) and take CAG advice before proceeding,otherwise the balance of the debt after payment will come back at a future date.

Regards FS

Hi, these firm have proved to be useless,

personally I would take one debt at a time away

from them, and attem

and attempt to settle it yourself.

please be aware that you need to make sure the offer is on your terms'

ie make sure you specify that the creditor/DCA will not sell or assign

any remaining balance to a third party, these thing have

a nasty habit of turning up again later.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Firstly many thanks to all for your help, this site is a real gold mine of information - I just wish I had stumbled across it sooner!

Ironically when we first got into difficulty with our debt mountain we initially had a dmp with cccs, then a "friend" recommended a company called eurodebt, who promised they could get approx 70 to 80% of our debts written off. Since moving our dmp to eurodebt we have asked them to proceed with the full & final settlements that they promised but months have gone by & they keep saying "We have written to your creditor & they have not replied" or "we are chasing it up but have not received a reply"....Quite frankly I don't believe them at all and I assume they will just string us along for as long as possible to keep collecting their monthly "fee". I think the first move would be to return our dmp to cccs, then at least all our payments will be going to our creditors rather than paying these sharks essentially for nothing.

I like the idea of negotiating with each creditor in turn for a full & final settlement, but although I have read through many, many posts here I really could use some advice on how to get them to accept the minimum possible as I will be borrowing the money from a close family friend and once I have the debts sorted that will need to be paid back....if that makes sense?

Hi, with an F&F i find the best way is to start an offer that you will be almost certain

that they will reject, once the creditor starts to realise you are willing to clear the debt (may take some time reading level is around Janet & John book 1):madgrin:

You will be able to judge what is reasonable.

I done this for others over the years and have had only a couple of failures, it does

take a little time, but worth it in the end.

Good.. move your DMP soon as poss' read your present companies T&Cs in case there is a cancel fee,I doubt it but check.

CCCS are OK (I use them) a lot of members start with the likes of CCCS and once they have the hang of it run their own DMP,that way the Creditors who are awkward can be treated accordingly,where CCCS go by the book at all times.

F&F as I have said are a minefield read Sequencis Blog on the subject

Brigadiers method is the best way forward but ensure every time in your F&F offer letter you make it very clear that you want your Credit File Marked Settled,and the creditor will not pass the balance of the debt to any 3rd party,read the blog.

Regards FS

• Confused 1

Keep a record of all correspondence in a separate file for each

debt, best to deal with one at a time.

Sorry to be a dummy - I spent ages searching yesterday for Sequencis Blog on the subject of F&F but was unable to find it, found some other blogs but not that particular one, a quick pointer would be much appreciated.

Sorry I have had a word with Sequencis via PM,he is in the process of updating his very helpful blogs so watch out in the near future,worth a read.

The F&F make your offer as low as possible thats sensible,state the offer is made on the condition that the debt will be moved from my credit file (the best they will do is mark it settled,but worth a try)also make it very clear that the balance must not be sold on to a 3rd party,and finally the F&F is regarded as full payment and the account closed.

The above are the basic rules with F&F,so many Caggers have gone down this route only to find in 6 months time a grubby DCA trys to collect the balance.

Regards FS