carers allowance

stevie87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4664 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everybody

im new and i apoligise if im in the wrong place

i was wondering if anyone could help me

my sister is aggraphobic and i basically do everything for her she recently had a carers allowance claim pack through

im worried that i will be worse off or even she might be

she gets ESA and middle rate DLA

im on jobseekers allowance and have my own flat which i get housing benefit for

can anyone advise please if i were to claim for it (i was told i would be able to claim income support) would my housing benefit be decreased or my sisters ?

thanks in advance

stevie

Are you single, married or cohabiting with a partner? and how are old are you (sorry to be personal!)

If you are single then you can claim Carers Allowance and continue to claim JSA until that decision is made to award you the carers allowance, you need to inform your personal advisor to allowthem to alter your Job Seekers Agreement for the short term interim until you move off JSA and onto carers and IS.

Carers Allowance is currently £55.55 per week.

Single person under 25 years of age.

Income Support Personal Allowance and carers premium is £53.45 + £31.00 = £84.45 per week - £55.55 (carers) = £28.90 Income Support maximum payable per week.

Single person over 25 years of age.

IS personal Allowance and carers premium is £67.50 + £31.00 = £98.50 - £55.55 (carer) = £42.95 Income Support maximum payable per week.

If you qualify for IS then your HB and CT won't change if you stay in your own home as things are now if you move in with your sister then I hope someone else can help you with that as I haven't got a clue about that sorry :o

I think the issue is whether your sister lives alone - if so she probably gets a severe disability premium which she will lose if you claim carers allowance. She may be willing to do that, but its best to check.

Housng benefit would not be decreased for either of you as her mid rate DLA can only be DLA care - a person on DLA care component is exepmt frpm non dependent deductions of housing benefit therefore whether or not you live with her, her claim would not be affected.

Yours would not be affected because you'd be in receipt of IS which results in the full amount of HB/CTB.

Your personal income would be £84.45 per week (this is both your IS and your CA), rising to £98.50 when you attain the age of 25.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Housng benefit would not be decreased for either of you as her mid rate DLA can only be DLA care - a person on DLA care component is exepmt frpm non dependent deductions of housing benefit therefore whether or not you live with her, her claim would not be affected.

Yours would not be affected because you'd be in receipt of IS which results in the full amount of HB/CTB.

Your personal income would be £84.45 per week (this is both your IS and your CA), rising to £98.50 when you attain the age of 25.

But can you confirm, Erika, if she would lose her severe disability premium on her ESA, if she receives one.

Oh yes, Leemack. If someone claims CA the disabled person will lose any SDP they receive.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

The OP isn't earning, they are out of work at the moment.