Refund into an overdrawn account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am currently in the process of claiming charges back on a Halifax account. The amount is just over £800. However, my account is overdrawn from when I was a student (approximately £1300) and I am paying it back monthly. I am about to issue a claim through the County Court but I want the money paid into a different account with another bank or issued as a cheque (so it isn't absorbed into this overdraft, after all, it was MY money at the time they charged me). Is this possible or does it have to go into the respective account? They have so far made me two offers, both of which they wanted to pay into their account.

Hi, I'd be interested to know this too as they're offering to pay money into an account for me that was closed in 2004!!!

I'd have thought you can request the money as a cheque, that's what I'm going to do in my LBA when I'm refusing their part payment offer...

Sazzle v A&L!!!

Request for repayment sent to A&L for £463 - 14/07

Standard reply received - 18/07

Letter before action sent - 21/07

Received my small claims pack so here we go - 17/08

Claim agianst A&L started - 21/08/06

Response received saying they will defend - 30/08/06

SETTLED IN FULL £548.48 - 06/09/06 :D

Sazzle v Halifax!!!

Request for statements sent to Halifax with £10 cheque - 14/07

Letter received requesting more info - 05/08

Letter sent with info required - 09/08

Letter received saying statements on way - 11/08

Big pile of statements arrived - 17/08

Request for repayment sent to Halifax for £442 - 17/08

Letter received saying they will reply within 4 weeks - 21/08/06

Letter received offering £236 as final settlement - 15/09/06 (I don't think so!!!)

Well, strictly speaking, if you have an o/d, it isn't your money, though, is it? Yes, the charges are, but if they pay them back agaisnt the o/draft, then, you'll be debt-free that much quicker, so why not? You never expected to see that money again in the first place, and were expecting to repay the o/d for months or years, paying interest on it in the meantime...

There are arguments that you should be able to say how you want your money repaid, but OTOH, you owe money to the bank, and they may well insist that you pay them off first.

If you really don't want to use the money to pay off the o/d, then withdraw it as soon as you get it and put it elsewhere, I don't see where the problem is. :-?

Sazzle, your circumstances are different, if the account is closed, they can't insist on paying it in there.

If you really don't want to use the money to pay off the o/d, then withdraw it as soon as you get it and put it elsewhere, I don't see where the problem is. :-?

The problem is that my limit is 0 so I have no way to withdraw it and with me being a graduate, it is still interest-free. I'm quite happy to pay it off monthly. I'd just sooner have the charges paid back to me than absorbed into this account.