• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Charges Repaid FiremanSam V Abbey *SETTLED*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter has been a Abbey customer since 2001, she's nearly 21 and a student at UEA in Norwich, so not very well off. Just lately she has been hammered by Abbey for chargers for going overdrawn, due i might add to other parties messing up their direct debits and causing her to go overdrawn.

I know she has tried to explain to Abbey's customer satisfaction rep, but this just fell on deaf ears, their reply being that their chargers were justified so there was nothing they could do, so at £50 a throw we've had enough.

I've just sent off a letter asking for a copy of all her statements from when she opened her account, so let battle commence.

BTW just like to say what a great site this is, and we appreciate all the hard work thats goes into running it........ THANKYOU.

Will let you know how we go on. :D

• 1 month later...

Well, sent a DPA request letter on the 10th of March to.....

Abbey

p.o. box 362

Prescot street

London

E1 8RP

Did not send it recorded delivery, nor did we send a £10 cheque....SO NOTHING!!!

So we will now be sending a further DPA request by recorded delivery with a cheque for £10 to......

Abbey National PLC

Abbey National House

2 Triton Square

Regent’s Place

London

NW1 3AN

And with the cheque payable to: Abbey National plc

Is this our next course of action, and is the above address correct?

There is a Data Protection Manager based right where I live in sunny Milton Keynes.

Data Protection Manager

Data Protection Team

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey House

201 Grafton Gate East

Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

I wrote to them on the 10th and they cashed the cheque a couple of days ago although I haven't heard anything from them yet. From my own experience and from what I've read, expect a long wait.

If money is the route of all evil, I must be a Saint

I sent mine to the Milton Keynes address and they cashed my £10 cheque, so that one should be fine.

Abbey

Data Protection Act Request 14th March

Chaser sent 3rd April giving 20 days to respond

Request for Payment and Data Protection Act Failure letter sent 23/05/06

Full statements recieved end of May

Letter Before Action sent 13/06/06.

Claim amount - £1938 plus £288.79 interest

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Ref: 6QZ42158

Send it to Milton Keynes. After all I would assume that the Data Protection Department would deal with a Data Protection request, although this is shABBEY. They might give it to the tea lady, LOL!

I might be wrong but I do believe that their headquarters are here in Milton Keynes, at the very least we have 7 buildings full of busy(!) Abbey workers.

If money is the route of all evil, I must be a Saint

hiya

yep, I also sent my to Milton Keynes and got my statements through fairly quickly,

Abbey claim: £972.00; Req for Refund letter sent 22.05.06

HSBC claim: sorted!

Citibank credit card claim: sorted!

Abbey/MBNA credit card: sorted!

Smile credit card: 2nd LBA sent 09.06.06

Capital One credit card: sorted!

Parachute deployed and everything moved ... GO GET 'EM !!

Well, like i said, we sent the DPA request letter to Abbey on the 10th March to....

Abbey

p.o. box 362

Prescot street

London

E1 8RP

And with "NO" £10 cheque either, because we had not received a reply or the requested statements, we thought this was because we had not sent the £10 fee, so we were about to send a further request along with a cheque today, but guess what the postman delivered this morning,47 days after sending our request, yes, a load of Abbey statements,so i'll be going through these tonight with my daughter and see what the damage amounts to.

• 1 month later...

Up to now.....

11th March 2006

Sent initial .....Data protection act disclosure request letter.

25th April 2006

45 days later received bank statements No 20 to 41 (up to present)

2nd May 2006

Sent second Data Protection Act request letter, this time recorded delivery and including a cheque for £10, asking for statements No 1 to 19 to be sent ASAP so we can calculate total charges since opening the account.

22 May 2006

Abbey cashed the £10 cheque

21st June 2006

50 days have passed since sending the second Data Protection Act request letter, and nothing.

Whats my next step folks???

You need to decide:

a. are you going to sue for bank charges which you are aware of plus the rest estimated, based on the statements you have. Send a LBA for this.

OR

b. LBA threatening to take them to court for non compliance of DPA SAR

Some of us have done a, some b and some both.

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

• 3 weeks later...

Up to now.....

11th March 2006

Sent initial .....Data protection act disclosure request letter.

25th April 2006

45 days later received bank statements No 20 to 41 (up to present)

2nd May 2006

Sent second Data Protection Act request letter, this time recorded delivery and including a cheque for £10, asking for statements No 1 to 19 to be sent ASAP so we can calculate total charges since opening the account.

22 May 2006

Abbey cashed the £10 cheque

21st June 2006

50 days have passed since sending the second Data Protection Act request letter, and nothing.

22st June 2006

Sent letter (recorded delivery)to Abbey giving them seven days to comply with my Data Protection Act request.

Abbey received letter on 23rd June, thats 18 days ago and still nothing.

I will now be sending a letter to the County court, let see Abbey ignore them.

Threads merged - please stick to one thread.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 months later...

Well we started way back in March to get my daughters bank charges refunded by asking for statements, and eventually we got to the point of sending a "request for repayment of charges" letter on 13th August and then a LBA on 30th August to which Abbey kept responding by saying they were investigating our complaint ???, but today we received a letter saying they would refund £375 of the £400 we were claiming as a gesture of goodwill. Such a nice bank.

I know its not a lot of money compared to what some people are claiming but to my daughter who is at Uni it will come in handy.

Just want to say a big thankyou to all on this site, without your guidance and information we would not have acheived this, keep up the good work and good luck to all.

PS How can we make a donation to the site??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks