Car goosed after 1 month from private seller

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

If anyone could advise i would be most grateful, I purchased a car from a private seller and on his statement he wrote he expects the car to run for 38,000 miles without a fault, Well the car only ran for around 1,000 before the engine went. Thanks Tommy

Unfortunately you have little protection under the SOGA when buying from a private seller. I would suggest that you first of all check that in fact he is a private seller and not a trader. Look at the V5 and see how long he has been the RK for a start. Also, depending on where you saw the car advertised, check to see if he is selling any more cars there. It will be a totally different ball game for you if he is a trader. Your only other avenue to persue would be if that the car was falsely adverstised.

I suppose that you have contected the seller to see if he will do anything?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi There S.S,

Not contacted the seller as yet as just trying to do a little research on the matter, The car was off the well known auction site i've saved the page and printed it off, Like i said at the bottom of the listing he stated he expects the car to run for 38,000 miles without faults, But i was just thinking how he defines expects if you know what i mean. Thanks Tommy

As mentrioned by SS see if he is selling other cars. A tip here is to phone up, or get a friend to phone, and simply ask "Is your car still for sale". If he has more than one he will have to ask which car you are referring too.

Agree the important thing is to establish if he really is a private seller, dodgy traders are know to use auction sites to avoid SOGA, if he does turn out to be a dealer and you have that "guarentee" from him then you have a good case

Hi All, And thanks for replies, Sorry not got back sooner been mad busy, he is definately 100% a private seller, What would be my next route after informing him that the car as only lasted around a 1,000 miles and he expected it to do another 38,000??. Thanks All Again For Any Support

P.S. I feel a bit tight in a way as him and his missus are working with a little lad but on the other hand have a nice big house in a respected area and 2 cars, And on another hand i cannot work at as much as i want as my car is off the road and i have 3 young boys and using rainy day money which i would'nt normally use.

I dont think you have any options here, traders are supposed to have a degree of knowledge of what they are selling, private sellers can say anything about what they are selling, b ut it would be from a laymans point of view but it is buyer beware in these circumstances

If the seller stated in any advertising (and you have or can obtain a copy) that the car WILL last another 38k miles or words to that effect, then you may have a case to persue against him. Otherwise i'm afraid it will be down to his 'good will' as legally the SOGA will not be available to you.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.