style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a mobile phone contract with O2 for approximately 9 years. I have always paid my bills in full, on time and not given O2 any reason for complaint.

I have always had the same 2G sim card throughout several contract renewals and different phones.

My phone recently started showing a “sim error”, I thought nothing of it for the first few times and simply cleaned off the card, re-inserted it and carried on, the phone would be fine for the next day or so. I decided to contact O2 as I thought that the sim card may need replacing and this would most likely solve the problem.

When I phoned O2 over the issue, I was informed that I should be using a 3G sim card and they had been issuing them for around 5 years now. I was informed that due to this I would have received a lack of service and capability, completely O2s fault. I felt that this was out of order and I requested some sort of compensation for the following reasons:

1. New sim cards were issued and as a loyal customer, I had been neglected.
      2. I had renewed contracts and had several 3G phones, no checks had been made regarding an upgrade/renewal of the sim card.
      3. I was receiving a lack of service as the sim card I had was not suitable for the phones I was using.
      4. I was given false information.
      5. While I am paying £25 per month at the moment, previous contracts had been much more expensive.
      6. I had been away serving in Afghanistan for 6 months and that O2 had received the monthly payment. I know that they offer for the contract to be paused, but I had other things on my mind and didn't get round to it at the time. Although this was not the issue in hand and I have no want to complain about this, it was to highlight the fact that O2 has had a large sum of money off of me over the years and have not provided an acceptable level of service.

The end result of the call was that an order would be put in to replace my sim card and a refund would be conducted for the contract that I had already paid for (since September 2010), I would be notified of the final amount within a few days. This I was more than pleased with and the matter would not have gone any further had O2 fulfilled the promise. I am not so sure that this would suffice now.

I received no contact for a over a week and decided to phone O2 again. I was told that £125 had been credited, about half the amount promised, due to the fact that I had used the phone during the contract and they would only refund the period that hadn't been used (ie. while I was away in Afghanistan). This raises the question of what would have been offered if I had of been using the phone over the entirety of that period? I was also informed that I should have complained earlier about the lack of service and that I would not have been “just sent a sim card randomly”. I pointed out to the representative that there was no way that I could have known about the lack of service, that it was pointed out by O2 and to receive a suitable sim card for the phone and service I was paying for would not have been “random”, but was given a similar reply.

I phoned O2 again to tell them that I wished to leave and was informed that I will be billed for the remainder of the contract. This is unreasonable and it is O2's fault that I wish to leave them, they have not fulfilled their part of the contract and are not interested in any remedy other than which they dictate. They are unwilling to let me leave them without it becoming hassle and are making it very difficult. I informed O2 that when I did leave them, I would not be willing to pay for any of the termination fees as the issue was their fault.

I wish to leave O2 for the following reasons:

The bottom line is that O2 have been providing me with a reduced service for many years and do not seem to be particularly bothered about the fact.

I am requesting some advice from you on where I stand on this issue and what my course of action should be please.

Many thanks and I appreciate your assistance in this matter,

1. I've been lied to and insulted by customer service representatives.
          2. Promises made to me have not been kept.
          3. I feel O2 is not interested in providing a good customer service and that it is left for the customer to contact them, rather than be proactive in their business.
          4. I feel it is not worth being a loyal customer to O2.
          5. My situation has been incorrectly noted in the customer logs and distorts the issue at hand.
          6. I feel O2 is not interested in providing a good service, just getting paid on a monthly basis.
          7. My money has been taken every month for nine years and I have had reduced service for several years now, but O2 is only interested in the past few months of the current contract and only if they are pushed. To be honest, the attitude seems to be “we messed up, but tough luck!”
          8. O2 are at full fault and have not upheld their part of the contract, but are too willing to hide behind loose “threats” of ruining credit rating, unreasonable bills to settle and the like if I do not hold up my end of the contract and keep paying.

You can get full service over the 2g network, data is just slower. 2g has greater range from a mast over 3g, so your coverage will have been exactly the same. If you had contacted them before about slow data they would've most likely issued you with a 3g SIM. Switching a SIM stops your service for a day, so many people don't bother, especially if they are happy with just calls and texts. In your case the 2g SIM has been working, but has now developed a fault, so your replacement is a 3g sim.

Personally, I think any legal action you try to take here will fail, as you have recieved telephone service and have found it satisfactory (as you have not had cause to complain until the 2g SIM has developed a fault). Your best bet is to try to barter for a greater amount of compensation. Email [email protected] and tell them to honour what they originally offered you, plus a little extra for the hasstle you've had.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for the advice Locutus. The information differs to that which O2 gave me regarding signal, etc and is all I've had to go on.

I have no interest in taking legal action, I just want what was offered to be honoured and to be treated like a valued customer. No too much to ask I think.

I have emailed the complaints review service and will see how it goes.

Thanks again!