CSA and getting them to at least look at things sensibly

CSAissueman

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

As my username suggests, I am a long time sufferer of the inadequacies of CSA, I will try and outline my issues in brief and any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

My CSA assessment started when I split from my ex wife in 2001, the initial assessment made by the CSA was errounous and too high, I appealed against it and CSA dug their heels in and said the assessment was right. I then told them I couldn't afford to pay the figure they were asking, which I most definitely couldn't so they took out a Deduction from earnings order. I was in the forces at the time, and on receiving the order from the CSA I was called in by my Commanding Officer on station, she stated that the amount was way too high, and the forces wrote back to the CSA saying as much, CSA still dug their heels in, the outcome of which was CSA saying the account was due the initial figure, the forces paying a figure they calculated to be correct based on my earnings etc at the time, and arrears accruing on the account.

Fast forward to April 2003 and I had another child with my current wife, this as I understand it should also have meant a new assesment from CSA under the "new rules", this however didnt take place until Dec 2005, this meant a difference by my calculations of approximately £3200, as in the assesments over this time went from around £85 p.w. prior to my second child being included, whereas in Dec 05 when the reassesment was done due to my second child it dropped to around £40 p.w. Over the intervening months from Apr 2003 to Dec 2005. I raised this issue with CSA and they just said "Sorry these things happen, we probably had some IT issues".

I approached my MP, who has become nothing short of useless and disinterested after initially showing a degree of interest in taking this on for me, I have also spoken to citizens advice bureau who have pretty much thrown their arms in the air and admitted they don't know how to sort this after some initial attempts by themselves to get to the bottom of it all.

I have today received a breakdown of my account (after 18 months of asking) which backs up my sums, and am therefore sat here considering a further email to my MP, and possibly CC'ing the minister for work and pensions and maybe his shadow counterpart on the opposition.

Just to add more to the whole complex situation CSA sent me a cheque 12 months ago, which they said was for compensation in view of their maladministration, it was for a nominal amount and to me is an admission of guilt on their part, but I would really like the other £3000 or so I have now overpaid by.

Does anyone have any ideas on who to approach with this, it appears the CSA are not governed by anybody in a similar way as the financial ombudsman would oversee banks etc and not sure what options are open to me. Any feedback/ ideas would be most greatly appreciated.

The complaints process for the CSA is as follows:

Initial complaint to the CSA complaints resolution team

If unsatisfied, further complaint to the CSA complaints review team

If unsatisfied with their response, complain the the Independent Case Examiner

If still unsatisfied, you can ask your MP to refer your complaint to the Parlimentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Hope this is of use to you.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 2 months later...