style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4668 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been hassled by my Landlord for the last 8 months over paying towrds general building work needed on the flats where I live - he wwanted me to pay £800 towards the cost of a new roof.

Weekly visits from him nearly ruined my marriage but we did get some help purely by chance when we came across a website suggested to us by a guy from the ground floor.

Anyone who rents a property and is having hassle with landlords should have a look at myleasecheck.com

Thread moved to Residential and Commercial Lettings Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I have been hassled by my Landlord for the last 8 months over paying towrds general building work needed on the flats where I live - he wwanted me to pay £800 towards the cost of a new roof.

Weekly visits from him nearly ruined my marriage but we did get some help purely by chance when we came across a website suggested to us by a guy from the ground floor.

Anyone who rents a property and is having hassle with landlords should have a look at myleasecheck.com

If your just a tenant renting off the landlord, then you have NO responsibility to pay for roof repairs, afaik!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The LL cannot keep coming around at all, he must give you quiet enjoyment.

He must give you notice and any arrangements must be at your conveience.

It would be reasonable to let have access to look at roof defexcts and to arrange repairs but you do not have to contribute to costs.

Pressume you have an AST contract.

The site quoted appears to be for Leaseholding Owners, not renting Ts ie no AST.

£800 towards roof repairs sounds like a service charge for essential repairs to which all leaseholders in block may have a liability.

Unless informed to the contrary I do not think this thread relates to LLs & Ts (AST etc) who normally post here.

If you have a Shorthold tenancy, you have NO liability in law to pay for roof repairs - unless YOU caused the damage.

The landlord can't ask a shorthold tenant to pay for the cost of repairs which the law requires the landlord to do. Those repairs include roof repairs. They are explained in detail in this FAQ -

Disrepairs in privately rented accommodation

In summary, section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 imposes a statutory obligation on the landlord to keep the following in good repair and in proper working order:

• the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes;

• the installations for supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and toilets); and

• the installations for space heating and water heating.

The only exception is that the landlord has no duty under section 11 to repair damage caused by the tenant [see section 11(2)(a)].