skyclad747

Registering a euro car in the UK

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3325 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I recently aquired a classic Mercedes from Belgium. It was brought to the UK a few years ago on its Belgium plates, the owner died and his family sold his car. I have no original paperwork for this car which has made life complicated. My local DVLA office has provided me with the necessary forms (V55 etc). I have the car insured and MOT'd plus a letter from Mercedes with the proof of manufacture date, all seems well so far. Yesterday I presented all the bits and pieces handed over vast amounts of cash in fees and tax.... Then they informed me they would have to inspect the car!

My question is. I'm not allowed to drive it to the VIC without registration plates, however it still has its Belguim plates. Its MOT'd, Insured and Taxed so where's the problem?

Answers on a postcard please:madgrin:

If I remember rightly this is normal, UK cars have to do it in Spain when they change over to Spanish plates so I assume this is a EU wide directive

AFAIK.

1) it is not legal for a UK licence holder to drive a vehicle in the UK that is registered elsewhere;

2) a vehicle can be insured in its VIN pending registration and driven without plates

AFAIK.

1) it is not legal for a UK licence holder to drive a vehicle in the UK that is registered elsewhere;

/QUOTE]

What happens to a UK lorry driver driving a lorry registered in Belguim transiting goods to Tesco's in the UK for example, would he be arrested then,or do these companies avoid uk licence holders doing this? I presume this would be the same on the continent.

i think they mean't to say not illegal

theres no problem driving to the inspection as long as your original plates are on.

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.