• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCJ in force, CO just about to be applied.......HELP!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

CCJ was awarded to Carboot back in October and for various reasons, my DMP plan was not amended correctly to pay them, so interim CO applied for and granted, case due to be heard next week. I will request an adjournment on this as I have extenuating personal reasons to dealy and have not been in position to prepare defence, but it will have to be faced soon.

I have read with interest the Carey v HSBC case and had built an outline Set Aside defence for the original CCJ around this case. A request for my CCA agreement or true copy of it was requested back in March, and yes, you've guessed it, was greeted with the return of the £1 postal order, a polite letter stating they were not in possession of it, and were pursuing it with the original lender (Goldfish), if I would be so good as to hold tight they would send it on in due course. This letter alone proves they were not in possession of it when they issued a default notice.A follow up demand from me stating they were now in breach of their requirement to provide me with said agreement, was responded to (eventually) that their in-house solicitors had advised them that as the original debt was now the subject of a CCJ, they were under no obligation to provide me with it.Was still feeling pretty confident about my defence for Set Aside until I read about the Court Of Appeal rulings stating that the provision of an actual or true copy of the agreement was NOT what the original Carey v HSBC ruling was about, and could NOT therefore been used as a defence to excuse debtors from repaying their debts.Can someone on this forum give some guidance as to what implication the Court Of Appeal rulings have had on the provision/existence of the original agreement? Is this still a valid arguement?

Looking around the various legal sites discussing the case, one of them says this:

"However consumers should remember that should a creditor issue court proceedings against them, without first locating a signed document, they would have a defence to that action. Without a signed document the creditor will have to convince the court that on balance a document signed by the consumer containing the prescribed terms would have been produced at the time of execution. The onus is on them to prove this. "

So what would happen if the debtor looked at this reconstituted agreement and denied they had ever signed to those terms or rates etc.

With respect to the at time of execution, is this the serving of the Default Notice? Its pretty clear from what Carboot are saying, that they have never been in possession of an agreement.

One other thing that annoyed me about Carboot, is that having sent me the documentation on a CD from a SAR request, you cannot print any of it as it is copy/print/email/etc protected. You can only read it on your PC. So if you want to present these documents as part of your evidence, you can't.

Thats annoying.

Reallly Annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Have sent off SAR requests to Carboot and Goldfish, as I am trying to discover if any DN was servered by Goldfish. If DN WAS servered by Goldfish, does this mean that any subsequent DN notice by Carboot is null and void?Also, the DN received from Carboot was not accompanied with any T&Cs. Does this make it unenforceable?.

I need to put together a defence for Set Aside, as I believe the execution of the original DN was flawed.

It happened at a time I was suffering a particularly bad episode, diagnosis of a life threatening condition which led to subsequent serious surgery and further treatment. But during that time, a CCJ was imposed, Carboot indicated they would sort out my payments with DMP, but did nothing, hence fell foul of defaulting the CCJ. Now they are pursuing the CO.

Carboot have also been applying penalty payments for missed payments, during the time thay they were supposed to be sorting it out with my DMP.

Feeling more like a fight now, but only have until early Sept for the hearing, so would appreciate some guidance.

What you will need to do is apply to set aside the original CCJ at the same time as going for the CO hearing.....(was the original CCJ undefended ?) I would send a CCA request directly to the original creditor (if you haven't already) was there any PPI on the credit card ? - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217173/Judge-quashes-womans-8-000-credit-card-debt-landmark-ruling-mis-selling-payment-protection-insurance.html

I think you should also look at Kotecha vs Phoenix too I think due to Brandon vs Amex (which is currently awaiting a High Court judgment) then right at this moment in time the DN aspect may be immaterial...

The CCJ was not defended and was one of the Northampton Bulk Centre specials. it went undefended as I was dealing with other issues at the time and the DMP policy of acquiesce and admit everything in the hope that they will go away happy. Works with less agressive Banks and DCA's but Carboot don't seem to play by the normal rules.They ignored numerous letters prior to the CCJ instructing them to contact the DMP people and arrange payments, hence they went for the CCJ.Read the Kotecha v Phoenix case and Carboot had been applying penalty payments to my account prior to the CCJ, but as they had not supplied any T&C's at any point, how can the Phoenix case be brought into play? Struggling with this one. Did a CCA after the CCJ was in force, but was eventually told as it was a judgement debt, they no longer had to comply to those requestsMy plan is to apply for a Set Aside of original CCJ at the next hearing, but am struggling to build case. But still feel that the full force of the law is being brought against me, whilst they are showing scant regard for following the finer points themselves.

You should inform the court that you will be being treated in hospital at the time of the CO hearing....as for the agreement then you should IMO send a SAR to the original creditor, and apply to set aside the original CCJ if you didn't defend it.