LG TV from Curry's, broken after 11 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello people.

I apologise if this is repetition but wonder if you have any comments please?

An elderly friend of the family bought an LG television last August, which unfortunately my OH and I went and chose under instructions from her, because she was moving into sheltered accomodation after a couple of illnesses and was [and is] very immobile.

I just found out today that the TV has gone wrong. She has spent quite some time on the phone to Curry's, who referred her to LG directly. They don't seem to want to know. No-one will agree to come and collect the TV, which may be fair, I don't know, but both seem to have washed their hands of the problem. Clearly, she can't return the TV to a store because she walks with two sticks and isn't strong.

Curry's are effectively saying that the contract is with LG, which is not how I understood SOGA although I may be out of date.

Can anyone suggest what is right please? This lady is in her 80s and has been given a real runaround, although from a quick look at the forum this may be par for the course.

Thank you for reading.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Nope. You're right. The contract is with Currys.

SALE OF GOODS ACT

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Thank you for that, Lefty. I'll ignore your alleged cruelty to kittens :).

What recourse does someone have please if the local and helpline staff are denying their responsibility? And how helpful do they have to be to a disabled person?

My best, HB

Thank you for that, Lefty. I'll ignore your alleged cruelty to kittens :).

What recourse does someone have please if the local and helpline staff are denying their responsibility? And how helpful do they have to be to a disabled person?

My best, HB

If handled correctly (wink wink) this has the potential for being a really good PR opportunity for Currys. Are you following me?

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

typical crap from currys

bout time their staff were trained properly

go get em under soga

you might have to pay an insprction fee but that will be refunded too

28 days typical

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi I am a dixons colleague so can help you hear.

The procedure on the TV will be a 7800 which basically means repair or replacement. If you have nay megastores local to you visit them they have dedicated customer service teams and managers who will be preared to help you with this. Now currys will send someone to collect the TV all they require is a serial number (generally on the side or back of TV) and a note of the fault..

dx100uk I feel it unfair of you to say usual currys crap should train there staff better. The company do in fact the company allocate an hour paid time each week to training which includes a large part on consumer rights under the sales of goods act. The problem comes in when the colleague fails to do the training (it will be a disciplinary issue in future to not do training. And/or affect the store bonus schemes). All megastores colleagues and managers know the SOGA very well. The smaller stores don't.

Over the phone customer service can be difficult and what I recommend is letting stores do it for you or a store manager. If I were dealing with it as I do with anything like this I escalate it to the manager of the contact centre (about as high as you can go. Customers wont get this high in the chain of command) and get things sorted.

With regards to us asking you to contact LG it is generally us trying to get the repair sped up as it is the same places we send the TVs to.,If we book it they take a while to collect etc. If you book it they tend to be quite quick.

yes we only hear the bad ofcourse

its good that things are moving forwards at curry's C-130

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you C-130. I think our friend has come across and unhelpful store who had no sympathy for her mobility problems, and has lost patience with the runaround on the phone between Curry's, helplines and LG.

Certainly referring her to LG seems to have slowed things down, but I don't think it was really explained to her why this was happening. I believe someone might have offered to collected the set after a week or so, but would need to check the details as I don't seem to have retained all of this conversations.

It may sound pathetic, but for an elderly person living in a studio flat with only this TV and radio for company and not going out much, the thought of a week or much longer without a TV was too much. She was threatening to go elsewhere yesterday and I just wish she'd let me know before. The LG cost over £300 and it seems like terrible value.

I'm not sure what we can do now, but would be interested to know what you think, C-130 please.

My best, HB

Firstly I sympathise highly with your elderly friend. My grandmother is in the same boat as her with regards to being immobile and living at home with only books, TV and radio for company. So it is something which should definitely be sorted quickly.

My advice would be take receipts etc to store. Explain as nicely and bluntly as possible the situation and why it is not a good situation to be in for all parties. I would then say that you wish to speak to a manager as you have already had the run around. Now the store manager has no ability to get ti sorted instantly they have ability to make phone calls to get it sorted. These are basic things the stores know should have been done though if I am honest.

To proceed from there send a basic letter to currys customer service team highlighting the issue and how laughable it is that a company as large as dixons are letting this happen especially over the sake of £300. Ensure the letter informs them of the problem, original purchase dates and that you require a response within 14 days of reciept (send recorded delivery).

I am about to PM you as well with a few more things which may help.

Hello there, thank you for that. Sadly, I can't get there at the moment and this lady is unable to make it to the store because it involves walking a bit too far.

I'll pass on what you've said. PM reply sent.

My best, HB