Sky Plus box problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4674 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

My old Sky+ box decided to bite the bullet a couple of weeks ago, shutting itself off for no reason and taking ages to work again.

I couldn't afford a call out charge so I decided to cancel. The cancellations team arranged a free call out for me which I accepted.

The engineer came out on Thursday and fitted me a reconditioned Sky+ box. Friday Evening this box died. Phoned Sky this morning and they have arranged a call out for Friday next. I did try to get hold of the engineer on the number he left me but his phone is off.

The question. Does anyone know if I would be able to get a credit for the time without my service.

This next week is going to drive me mad. 4 channels (can't get channel 5)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hmm did they mention any kind of warranty on the replacement box at all?

Its worth a call to them to try it on even if you didnt pay for the call out or have an in-warranty box, they've given you a duff box :-)

S.

Hmm did they mention any kind of warranty on the replacement box at all?

Its worth a call to them to try it on even if you didnt pay for the call out or have an in-warranty box, they've given you a duff box :-)

S.

I didn't think of that during the phone call this morning :roll: I'm thinking of sending an email to the customer services team so that I get something in writing.

The engineer left a card that said if I get any issues within 30 days to give him a ring direct and Sky have said that if I can get hold of him before next friday and he comes out before then, to call Sky and cancel the call-out. Just a shame his phone is off :sad:

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hindsight is a wonderful thing mate ;-) I tend to have to write down what I want to say before hand as I'm crud on the phone, I really just dont like talking to people :lol:

Hmm could just be he doesnt work weekends so doesnt turn his mobile on... but in this climate you think he'd have his phone with him 24hrs a day :)

i used to work for sky well subby.

and the reason for the 30 days was for us anyway, if we got a callback to a servicecall within 30 days we lost our fee for doing the servicecall.

Even if it was a box fault and nothing that we had done.

So we used to keep the jobs "inhouse" for a repeat visit.

Due to the fact if a revisit went via sky we never got paid for the original visit.

As for the credit issue. I have know many many people to get that , but you have to ask.

it wont be offered unless you ask.

You will get a credit from the day of call to the day of service call. You would not get this is you get the 'first' engineer out as sky do not have record of this. As mr says they do this to keep their fee.

SF what do you mean by died? stuck on red light?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

You will get a credit from the day of call to the day of service call. You would not get this is you get the 'first' engineer out as sky do not have record of this. As mr says they do this to keep their fee.

SF what do you mean by died? stuck on red light?

The first box used to switch itself off and stay that way for an hour or so. I'm assuming it was overheating. The day before the engineer turned up, the box finally died. Just the red light and nothing else.

The 'new' box worked great for thursday and part of friday then as I was watching it, blue lines appeared on screen which I thought was the TV until I changed to analogue and saw it ws ok. Switched the box off-turned it back on- pixelation and crappy sound. Tried switching off at the mains-nothing.

I'm not a TV freak but I do miss the ability to record and watch when I want to :sad:

you can try a planner rebuild

press services then just press in 4, 0,1 then select and go to planner rebuild and follow the instructions - to get some decent viewing until the engineer comes

and just for info

sky give 90 days warranty on replacement boxes if original box was over 12 months

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

SF

I don't know if you have tried this, we had terrible problems with our Sky+ box which was made by Amstrad, it suffers very badly with Static Electricity, and every now and again do exactly what you have described. Turn the box off and unplug it completely from power supply. Leave for minimum of 15 mins then plug back in and 99 times out of 100 it worked. We had one occasion that we left it unplugged overnight and it cured it... give it a try if you haven't altready done it. Regards to getting credit ring sky they credit you for it..... do you know the name of the company who replaced it ? as we had one attend and gave us a slip then they never answered, so as you know me..... letter time, complained to sky and got apology and extra credit for it.... worth a try mate..

KB

Keefy (:-)The "Moaner":rolleyes:)Boy

Prepared to take on anyone until I win...................

you can try a planner rebuild

press services then just press in 4, 0,1 then select and go to planner rebuild and follow the instructions - to get some decent viewing until the engineer comes

and just for info

sky give 90 days warranty on replacement boxes if original box was over 12 months

I can't even see the installer menu let alone do a rebuild :|

Good to know about the 90 days too

Thanks Ida

SF

I don't know if you have tried this, we had terrible problems with our Sky+ box which was made by Amstrad, it suffers very badly with Static Electricity, and every now and again do exactly what you have described. Turn the box off and unplug it completely from power supply. Leave for minimum of 15 mins then plug back in and 99 times out of 100 it worked. We had one occasion that we left it unplugged overnight and it cured it... give it a try if you haven't altready done it. Regards to getting credit ring sky they credit you for it..... do you know the name of the company who replaced it ? as we had one attend and gave us a slip then they never answered, so as you know me..... letter time, complained to sky and got apology and extra credit for it.... worth a try mate..

KB

Tried everything I was taught when I was an installer (short of throwing it out of the window). I even attached a phone cable to it, pressed and held 'backup' while powering on so that it did a forced reboot-nada!

Oh well, BBC Iplayer, Skyplayer and all the others are going to be busy this week