Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was trying to find a template, but can't see anything I would recommend. I would just write a concise and clear letter, detailing events in chronological order, stating names, dates and times where possible. I know it is difficult at times, but try and write a letter that is a clear statement of fact, and avoid getting too emotional. I would certainly read it over a few times and make sure you are happy. Check your staff handbook for details of the grievance procedure, and make sure you send it to the right person.

Good luck!!

CB500

Any advise that is given, is from my experience, either in life in general or from my years of senior management in the hospitality and leisure industries. However, please take legal advise before taking any actions.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The saga of the cardi continues...

I was told by one of the area managers i was allowed to wear a black long sleeved t shirt under my short sleeved work t shirt. We both agreed this would be fine. So i come in the next day wearing a black long sleeved t shirt. The shop manager told me it was not fine and i "needed to look smart". He told me to "buy a navy cardigan and we will give you the money back". So i bought one and gave him the reciept. He then put it through the tills and gave me the money back. Ive now been wearing said cardigan for 2 weeks. Now all of a sudden im being told its not ok. The company cardigans they ordered me turned up the other day. Its basically just the jumper but wit buttons so it completly defets the point. I might aswell just be wearing the jumper. Ive told them this and im being told ive"got to wear it" . ITs been really hot lately and its just not fair. my job consists of me running round 8 hours a day in a busy hot shop. The whole thing is ridiculous. What can i do?:confused:. Also its in the "staff handbook" that "excessive tattoos must be covered" but its not in the actual contract.

Hi,

What is the exact wording of that clause in the staff handbook?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

"you should ensure that if you wear facial and other visible body piercings/art that this is not to excess. You may in certain circumstances be asked to remove such items during your shift of work by your manager"

Frequently the handbook of employment is incorporated into the contract of employment. However, not all of the content have contractual force. In the case of the provision stated in your post above, the clause infers an obligation upon the employee...

They have a duty of care and if the garment they want you to wear, in order to cover up your tattoos, makes you uncomfortable then you should raise the point with your line manager, formally... if they decline to help, then you should raise a formal grievance...

One would understand the need to cover up tattoos when working in a customer facing environment but wearing an uncomfortable garment should not be an obligation to the detriment of an employee's health and comfort.

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

ive spoken to the manager, assistant manager and 2 area managers. They all told me different like i said above. But now there all saying i cant wear the thin cardi i bought and have to wear the thick one.

I think that your employer is being unreasonable if both cardigans are the same colour and branded!

the thinner cardigan isnt branded. I wastld by the manager to buy one and they gave me the money back. Now after 2 weeks its all of asudden not ok. I get te impression there tryingto push me out.

You should request that they give you a right coloured, branded appropriate cardigan for work...

Make sure that you get all of their communication to you in writing, either in a letter or by e-mail...

Absolutely... state the reasons... non-branded, uncomfortable... but that you also want to comply with their policies (covering up your tattoos).

Dear X,

Following our last meeting, it is my understanding that the cardigan I am now wearing is not suitable as mentioned by XXXXXX.

I have no intention to contravene any of the provisions stated in my contract of employment in terms of uniform and tattoos/art, and my intention is, and always has been, to adhere to those provisions. However, as mentioned several times in the past, wearing a thick cardigan is very uncomfortable and on numerous occasions have felt ill on the shop floor. I hope that we can come to a reasonable agreement and be authorised to wear a thinner cardigan, of your choice, allowing me to work comfortably.

Yours sincerely.

'zararh'

Hope that helps

Edited by Bigredbus

ok so i spoke to the big manager today. she was quite understanding actually. She asked to see my arm. She said "i dont think you should ave to cover those. Basically imcovered in disney tattoos. I said like this is what im saying its all disney its not like i have hitler on me!!! So she said "leave it with me" she then came back later on and said you dont have to keep them covered any more".

Bless her... well done.

Finally! Someone in your workplace sees sense! I've just started a new job on the loading bay at Debenhams, and I have sleeves and was waiting for them to say something, but it's been quite the opposite! I'm more of a talking point in there!

• 4 weeks later...

So today weve all been told were not allowed to talk, go the toilet or have a drink apart from breaks. Alot of people only do a 4 hour shift and as such dont get a break. im on a shelf stacking shift, this means i am constantly on my feet running around shifting stuff in a hot shop. When i am entitled to a break i have to argue for it. Can they do this?

Hello again. I think this would come under the Health and Safety Executive [HSE]. I just double-checked their website and it just says the temperature should be 'reasonable', without giving a maximum. Reasonable is hard to define, but one would think a 'reasonable' employer would make sure people had water available.

Would you be able to ring the HSE? They have a helpline.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum