style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2007 i took out a hired purchase agreement on a car from Bank of Scotland. I am in my final year of the agreement with only four months left before i have to pay final balance. The strange thing is four months ago they stopped taking payment from me (I have a standing order set up). A few months ago i recieved a letter from Bank of Scotland stating they have transferred this agreement to Lloyds but all payment details will stay the same. Fair enough i thought! Last week i recieved another letter stating that the agreement has now been transfered to Lex Autolease, which is also part of Lloyds telling me to set up a new standiing order with them.

I find all of this ridiclous as i do not feel it is my job to chase them to collect my money. This should have been done automatically without any problems. Now, i have recieved a letter from Bank of Scotland telling me that the account is overdue.

What i would like to know is what are my rights in this case? Are Lloyds and Bank of Scotland now one? I need to request my original signed agreement but as far as i am concerned i took this agreement out with Bank of Scotland, not Lloyds or Lloyds Lex Autolease.

Any suggestions? Could i potentially write this off and keep the car?

Hi and welcome to CAG

As you are paying via standing order, it is down to you to reset it. The creditors cannot do it.

As for why your payments were refused, you would have to write to them to find out why. Your standing order should have gone but their systems may have rfused it so you could check with your own bank.

As for getting the debt written off and you keeping the car. Not an option

Thread moved

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You state that this is a Hire Purchase Agreement in which case the vehicle belongs to the lender until the agreement is completely paid up or the vehicle is returned under the 50% payment clause written into the agreement.

I think you may be confusing the issue with loans that are not directly linked to the vehicle. For example, if you purchase a vehicle from you local garage and then pay for the goods with a loan provided by your bank then there is no direct link. Therefore, if you default on the loan you could technically keep the vehicle as the lender does not have the right of possesion. However that is not to say that they could not take action to sell the asset if they pursued the default through the courts.

Please not that the regulations on HP agreements vary slightly depending on whether it is Scottish or English Jurisdiction.

No i understand the difference between the two. I atteneded a court case in which my friend took out a HP agreement and argued that it was unfair. He won the case, had the remaining balance written off, was paid compensation AND was able to keep the vehicle! Believe me i know this is possible! I just have to go through my agreement with a fine toothed comb.