Left Debt in UK and want to return home to work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sold my house in UK in 2008 was working abroad and sick of bills bank refused to acknowledge the fact i was living abroad or forward any mail. Bank pulled the plug on me I had £5K overdraft, £10K load £5K charge card £3K credit card and also car loan (car repossed) and another £11K credit card as soon as I made any payments into account they just reduced my over draft ,credit limit etc

So i just got paid salary into wife's bank accouint and ignored problem. I've Been made redundant abroad and living off money but it will run out soon. I have been offered a new job in the UK with a decent salary and have had no contact with any of debtors since 2008. Do I have to tell them I'm back ?, Do i need to go bankrupt as I haven't the money to pay them can I start again with another bank ? Will I have debt collection agencies all over me ? Given up hope of ever owning a home but have a family to support so need to spend most my income on theat

Do I have to tell them I'm back ?
No.
Do i need to go bankrupt as I haven't the money to pay them
not necessarily.
can I start again with another bank ?
When you open a new bank a/c they usually require your addresses for the past five years.
Will I have debt collection agencies all over me ?
It depends on whether they link your new address in the UK with the old one.

How long ago is it since you made any payment or written acknowledgement of these debts?

If you don't make a payment or written admission of the debt for a period of six years (five in Scotland) it becomes Statute Barred and they cannot take any enforcement action against you.

They cannot obtain a CCJ against you now because you are a non UK resident although it has been known for creditors to do so by using a previous UK address. This isn't allowed and if they do so it can be set aside.