• Tweets

• Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
    • Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ive got a court summons from SWT but i had a ticket! read on...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That relates to persons who claim that there were no ticketing facilities available at the point of embarkation.

That and other circumstances too. To quote the legislation in more detail:

9. (1) Where a person charged a penalty fare has in due time provided the operator by or on whose behalf the penalty fare was charged with a relevant statement, in any proceedings for the recovery of that penalty fare, it shall be for that operator to show that any of the facts described in the relevant statement is not true.

(2) A relevant statement is a statement in writing informing the operator in question:

(a) in the case of a person charged a penalty fare in circumstances where he was travelling

by, present on or leaving a train:

(i) of the train and of any preceding train by which he was travelling or had travelled

or on which he was present or had been present;

(ii) of the station and the time at which he boarded that train and any preceding train

and, other than in the case of his leaving a train at a station, the station at which he

intended to leave that train;

(iii) whether any of the circumstances described in regulation 6(2) arose in relation to

the station at which he boarded the train and any preceding train, and, if so, which;

Circumstances in which a penalty fare is not to be charged where a person is travelling

on a train

6. (2) The circumstances to which this regulation applies are that, at the time when and at the

station where the person in question boarded the relevant train, or, in the case where a

person has boarded the relevant train after travelling on a preceding train, that, at the time

when and at the station where the person in question boarded that preceding train,

(a) there were no facilities in operation for the sale of the appropriate ticket or other

authority to make the journey being or having been made by that person;

(b) the requirements of rules in respect of the display of notices were not satisfied;

© a notice was displayed indicating that the person in question was, or persons generally

were, permitted to travel by or be present on the relevant train or, as the case may be,

the preceding train without having a ticket or other authority; or

(d) a person acting or purporting to act on behalf of:

(i) the operator of the relevant train, or

(ii) the operator of the station in question,

indicated that the person in question was, or persons generally were, permitted to travel by or be present on the relevant train or, as the case may be, any preceding train without having a ticket or other authority.

It seems to me that there is a consensus that if I tell the ticket clerk the journey which I wish to make and he sells me the wrong ticket, there is no offence under the railway byelaws. I believe that this is because the ticket clerk is an authorised person within the meaning of Byelaw 18(3) and by selling me the ticket for that journey he is giving me permission to travel. Is this right?

Grotesque,

I have already told you (post #19) that I am not Engelbert. Now (post #25) Engelbert has told you that he's not Enchridion. Why do you persist in these unfounded allegations which appear to me to be contrary to the rules of this Forum? An apology would be in order.

It seems to me that there is a consensus that if I tell the ticket clerk the journey which I wish to make and he sells me the wrong ticket, there is no offence under the railway byelaws. I believe that this is because the ticket clerk is an authorised person within the meaning of Byelaw 18(3) and by selling me the ticket for that journey he is giving me permission to travel. Is this right?

What proof would you have that you were mis-sold this ticket?

Nystagmite,

I agree that there is a problem if you have to prove that you were mis-sold the ticket. But you don't.

The thing which I am trying to establish is that if you are sold the wrong ticket, you do not breach the railway byelaws by making your journey with it.

Once that is accepted, the basic principles of English law kick in (or at least, they should). It is for the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that an offence has been committed. If you give a credible explanation as to what happened which involves no offence (and the court will determine the credibility of your explanation), it becomes the prosecution's problem to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the offence occurred.

So you don't need to prove that you were mis-sold the wrong ticket. The prosecution needs to prove that you weren't mis-sold the wrong ticket.

Ench, you have fallen into the trap that most lay people do.

You cannot use the Penalty Fare rules as a defence under the railway byelaws, the byelaws create strict liability offences under 18 (1) & 18 (2).

18 (3) states that no offence is committed if an authorised person gives permission to travel without a ticket, you need to prove your defence rather than just claim it.

A scenario for example would be a shoplifter who says that a member of staff said they could take an item without paying for it, it would not be for the prosecution to prove that it didnt happen, even though the evidential test is much higher for theft.

SRPO,

I have been looking further into the burden of proof. You are correct (and I have been wrong) that in the case of an exception (which is what Byelaw 18(3) is), the burden of proof lies on the defendant. But the burden of proof is a "persuasive" burden rather than "beyond reasonable doubt". This means that the defendant has to show on the balance of probabilities that the exception applied to him. Even this burden must be hedged around because of the effect of Article 6(2) of the European Convention on Human Rights. This provides:

“Everyone charged with a criminal offence shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law.”

There have been a number of cases concerning the compatibility of the reverse burden of truth (i.e. the defendant has to prove something, as here) with Article 6(2) which have gone to the Court of Appeal or the House of Lords. The position seems to be that a "persuasive" burden is compatible, although some judgements have substituted the "evidential" burden, i.e. sufficient evidence as to raise the issue.

Criminal Law, Simester and Sullivan (2005) http://www.hartpub.co.uk/updates/crimlaw/crimlaw_burden05.htm summarises the position thus:

Whether or not the reverse burden at issue offends against Article 6 requires a proportionality assessment. In conducting that exercise, one should balance, on the one hand, society’s interest in the effective suppression of the social mischief with which the offence is concerned and, on the other hand, D’s right to a fair trial. When balancing these two competing interests, one should take into account the severity of the offence in terms of sentence, ease of proof for one party or the other in relation to the matter covered by the reverse burden, and (from previous authority) whether the matter to be proved or disproved is related to a definitional element of the offence or to a defence. In the light of these factors, the final judgement must be made on whether the reverse burden in question is a fair and proportionate legislative response, in the circumstances of contemporary society, to the social mischief with which the offence is concerned.

To return to nick180's case, I consider that the ticket and contemporary records, i.e. the original statement taken at Walton-on-Thames and any letters which nick180 sent to SWT at that time, would help to settle the matter. Tickets issued by machines are different from those issued by ticket clerks. SWT will, I hope, have retained the ticket as evidence so it should be clear whether the ticket could not have been sold by the ticket clerk. If the witness statement taken at Walton-on-Thames records the assertion that nick180 asked for a ticket to Walton and was sold a Travelcard, that would tend to support his assertion. Equally the absence of such an assertion would tend to undermine it. If nick180 wrote letters of protest to SWT, that would also help his case. Evidence of good character and a prior absence of penalty fares or prosecutions against him would also help to sway the balance of probabilities.

nick180,

Although these are criminal proceedings, your adversary is a business, not a public body. As a business, SWT is engaged in trying to make a profit. Penalty fares and costs which you have to pay represent income to SWT. The costs of running their prosecutions department and costs awarded against them represent expenditure. They don't know what the outcome of the case will be, so they have to make an assessment of the likelihood of each outcome.

Think of it as a game of poker. It doesn't really matter how good or bad your hand is, if you raise the stakes, your opponent may consider that the stakes are too high given the quality of his hand and he will fold. In this case the standard "fold" is that they drop the prosecution in return for your paying the equivalent of the standard penalty fare, i.e. £20.

You will have seen that Byelaw 18(3) provides a defence and that under the standard rules of evidence you need to show on the balance of probabilities that you were mis-sold the wrong ticket.

It seems to me that you will be able to demonstrate:

• you bought your ticket from the ticket desk at Wallington;
  • the ticket which you bought cost £4.90, compared with the £2.90 cost of the correct ticket (was this the cost of a return to Walton or a single? - you should compare like with like).

The question then is: "on the balance of probabilities, were you mis-sold the wrong ticket?" The answer to this may not be clear.

This is the point at which you can raise the stakes. Given:

• the puny nature of your alleged offence (paying £4.90 for the wrong ticket when the correct ticket cost less);
  • the severity of the punishment (a criminal conviction, albeit not a recordable one);
  • the difficulty to you of proving what was said by the railway employee at the ticket office window

is it compatible with Article 6(2) of the European Convention on Human Rights that the reverse burden of proof placed on you should be "persuasive" rather than "evidential". In other words, do you need to prove that you were mis-sold on the balance of probabilities or does it suffice for you to show that you have a credible argument?

In my previous post I quoted Simester and Sullivan's Criminal Law (2005). In writing to SWT you could also quote Lord Bingham of Cornhill's lead judgement in Sheldrake [2004] UKHL 43 http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/2004/43.html. Paragraph 21 says:

21. From this body of authority certain principles may be derived. The overriding concern is that a trial should be fair, and the presumption of innocence is a fundamental right directed to that end. The Convention does not outlaw presumptions of fact or law but requires that these should be kept within reasonable limits and should not be arbitrary. It is open to states to define the constituent elements of a criminal offence, excluding the requirement of
mens rea
. But the substance and effect of any presumption adverse to a defendant must be examined, and must be reasonable. Relevant to any judgment on reasonableness or proportionality will be the opportunity given to the defendant to rebut the presumption, maintenance of the rights of the defence, flexibility in application of the presumption, retention by the court of a power to assess the evidence, the importance of what is at stake and the difficulty which a prosecutor may face in the absence of a presumption. Security concerns do not absolve member states from their duty to observe basic standards of fairness. The justifiability of any infringement of the presumption of innocence cannot be resolved by any rule of thumb, but on examination of all the facts and circumstances of the particular provision as applied in the particular case.

The stakes here are incredibly high. First, they will cost SWT a pile to argue - this sort of question would end up in the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court (formerly the House of Lords). Secondly, if SWT were to lose, all the railway companies would find it much harder to prosecute successfully. So it is in SWT's interest to avoid allowing this matter to be raised, even if there is only a minuscule chance that it might succeed. Of course, they could try calling your bluff. But would they?

You have a further line of argument, which is the proportionality of prosecution to the alleged offence. Should the courts be spending their time pursuing you when you had paid more for your ticket than the correct fare? The court could dismiss the case as beneath its dignity.

Grotesque,

I have already told you (post #19) that I am not Engelbert. Now (post #25) Engelbert has told you that he's not Enchridion. Why do you persist in these unfounded allegations which appear to me to be contrary to the rules of this Forum? An apology would be in order.

Engelbert's easier to spell though, isn't it? Better luck next time :).

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum