• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

traceyrmj against Abbey... bring it on!

traceyrmj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

we banked with the abbey for years, they have sent less than a years info, just giving it a few days before i write back and ask for the rest within my original timetable, £400 so far :o

their letter to me was interesting, they said they are happy to provide 6 years statemens free of charge, but if i want information previous to that they will have to retreive it from microfiche, blah blah blah so i told them 6 years is sufficent for my purposes.:p

20 days and counting for S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

me against the abbey Paid in full (donation made)

me against the woolwich Paid in full(donation made)

me against HSBC Paid in full(donation made)

beware the scrapbooker, for she has a long memory and sharp knives :lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

letter recd 9 sep...

thank you for your letter dated 30th august which we received on the 6st sept requesting information on your bank account. i also acknowledge receipt of your £10 fee.

i would like to advise you that under a DPA request you will only receive transactions that are currently held on our systems, these will be forwarded to you within 40 days, free of charge, under seperate cover. any earlier transactions have been archived onto microfiche which is not covered under the DPA. these archived transactions will not therefore be supplied to you under a DPA requestand will not be subject to the 40 day ruling.

abbey is not normally required to hold past transaction details on accounts for more than six years we are therefore unable to give you all the details you have asked for.we can however supply details of transactions held on microfiche on payment of an admisnistration fee of £10 for multiple monthly statements per account that have been archived.... blah blah

so they have to hold details for 6 years and will supply all the details they hold free. so far i have only had 13 months statements tho...

they have had another 5 days to get the rst of the statements to me ( or some of them) they have failed to do so so i have posted the noncompliance letter giving them 20 days to comply

statements arrived this morning copied form microfiche ( very obvious by the look of them)

collated charges amount to £608. :) prelim letter written and ready to post off monday recorded post.

i wanted to charge abbey back the interest they have charged me on the charges they have charged me. i have got my dh looking at the spreadsheet cos i have discalculea ( cant read large bodies of numbers they just kind of swim in front of me and i panic) anyway the statements that abbey gave me ( without a fight i might add) list just the date and the detail, the type of transaction and the amount. there isnt a starting balance or an ending balance thru about 5 years of the paperwork.:evil: i have one lot of about a years worth of statements that does have interest on it but that is the most recent and i wanted to charge them interest on the whole lot. not talking about the 8% interest will get to that if it gets to court.

is there anyway i can get the info or do i find out the interest % now and charge them that back on the other details and see if they then are willing to help me with the calculation?( assuming i get it wrong in my favour they will be more than willing to help with the maths im sure) have posted this query for vampiress but am faffing now cos i wanted ot get the prlim out tomorrow so i need to sort the calculations out today if im going to include the interest in my calculations and not just wait for the 8% if it goes to court.

help greatfully appreciated...

given that we credited more than 1000 a month we qualified for the prefferential overdraft interest rate of 9.9% ( or should have done according to their webby) do i just add 9.9% with notes that the figure is adjustable if they are able to provide me with actual intereest details on the charges i am claiming for? is this being cheeky? i really cant work it out as they havennt given me one opening or closing balance for the whole 5 years of microfiched info. i have interest on the one years worth and openign and closing and running balances but no clue of how to work them out.

also do i just take the whole amount and add 9.9% to it or am i supposed to do it another way?>

Tracey - you seem to have the same situation as me. We too have the 9.9% preferred o/d rate (I phoned and checked on Fri before I sent my soc and letter).

The way I did the calculation was to enter the list of charges and the date, but then I just changed the 8% interest rate on the spreadsheet to 9.9% instead.

Please nobody come and tell me I have done it wrong cos it's posted now!

Hopefully somebody else will clarify for you soon.

Kerrie

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

my other question tho is do i take the lump sum owed and add 9.9% or is there another more complicated way of doing it that might be more acceptable?

Guest Confuddled

You cant just add 9.8% on to the charges total as it is an annual percentage rate so would accrue annually. It is very very (like impossible) to accurately work out the interest they have charged you on your charges without having the balances at the date of each charge.

You can say you claim the overdraft interest charged on each charge back and inform them you are unable to work this out becuase of the lack of information provided by them ????

The way it works is you claim the charges you paid, then you can claim back the interest you paid.

Does the statements indicate interest payments made?

If so you can allocate some or all of this as interest paid. Delcare it as an estimate too. Even if you have all the account data and use the spreadsheet templates its only an estimate.

Then when you have these values and the dates they were applied you can if you wish claim the contractual rate of interest to those charges from the date they were appllied to your account.

The logical contractual rate to apply is the excess overdraft rate, Abbeys is currently 28.7% or at least it was a week or so ago i havent checked it more recently than that.

The advantage of claiming contractual interest is that you can add it to your prelim and LBA letters which means assuming they settle you get it whether you go to court or not.

If you only wish to claim the 8% county court act interest then you can only claim this logically if you go to court or at least file your claim and the other side decide to settle.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

the statements show interest payments being made but as i dont have a saingle opeing of closing balance covering over 5 years i cannot work out the balance at the time the interest was applied. i have the dates the interest was applied but not the relevant information to claim back the interest using vampiressess spreadsheet.

i have drafted this passage to add to the prelim..

as you failed to provide me with complete information under my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), i have no opening and closing balances for the years 2000 to 2005 and therefore cannot extrapolate the interest i was charged on the charges i am now disputing. i have therefore calculated 9.9% ( the preffered overdraft rate i was on having paid in £1000+ a month) against the whole of the principal sum. if you will provide me with the details i requested under the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) in full i will recalculate from those figures and adjust my claim accordingly. please note that should this claim come to court 8% interest willbe added to the entire amount under s69....."

do you think i should calculate on 28.7% interest we were over the over draft a fair bit hence all the charges, sureley this will encourage them to provide me with the correct data if i am wildly overestimating the interest charged???

that figure takes the amount owed form £681.38 with 9.9% interest to £797.94 :o dont want to appear to the judge as a moneygrabbing unreasonable person???

Hi Tracey.

I think I did it wrong then because the way I did it was to list each charge from 2000-2006 and then I used the interest as 9.9% on each of those charges. Well it's too late now cos I've already sent the letter and charges. I hope they don't throw it out now.

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

they might offer you information you didnt have in order to ammend your data kerrie but more likely they will defend the claim in full and a judge will see that you did the best you could with the figures you had, that is the line i am going to take. given that i dont know if i was in agreed overdraft or excess overdraft as they havent given me the balance figure, i am planning to ask for 9.9% interest on half the charges and 28.7% on the other half :p we shall see what they make of those numbers.

The way i did mine was to use the spreadsheet from the library which allows you to put the amount of interest paid and the balance at the time that interest paid, a value is then provided which is an estimate of the interest paid due to the charges for that month.

However, since the spreadsheet preusmes you are in overdraft if you have a postive blaance it assumes you never paid interest, even if you did.

So all i did was assign all of that months interest as if i had paid it.

On the surface this seems very crude, and it is, however, you are not a forensic accountant (or at least impresuming youre not bearing in mind youre asking these questions) so an estimate isperfectly fine based on theinformation you have to hand.

Should it get to court its perfectly reasonable for you to estimate what you have paid out and the defendant can correct it if they wish to provide the true values.

Personally I wouldnt bother with calcualting a particualr rate of interest per charge because the actual interest calculation is complex in reality and this wont reflect the true impact.

Its just my opinion but i would simply use the spreadhseet and if you cant just insert the interest you paid.

As i said in a n earlier post make it clear in your schedules that its estimated and will be corrected if and when you get the correct information.

Re adding contractual interest I added it at the LBA stage for my abbey claim. So i hope its ok.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

thanks glenn, i am out of my depth here. dont wanna mess up. have put in my letter that as they have failed ot provide mw with the info i will assume the following rate was applied and that iwill of course ammend the figure when they are able to prove the data to me as incorrect. am sure they will get that sorted out asap!

i have included this passage in the prelim and we can only wait and see.

"What I require

You have failed in your legal requirement to provide me with complete account details for the period in question, having provided me with only a list of transactions and not one single balance to indicate if my account was in credit, agreed overdraft or unarranged overdraft. Over 5 years not one opening or closing balance to show me which level of interest was applied. I can only therefore assume that approximately half of these charges were compounded by interest at the preferred rate of 9.9% and approximately half of the charges were compounded by interest of your unarranged borrowing rate of 28.7%

I calculate that you have taken £620.00 and interest on these charges as discussed above is calculated as £620.00 /2 =£310.00 at 9.9% £30.69 and £310.00 at 28.7% £88.97 making the total estimated interest I have paid on these charges I am now disputing £ 119.66 the total I am claiming therefore is £739.66 I am of course happy to amend these figures prior to a court case if you are able to provide me with the information lawfully requested under my Subject access request to demonstrate the level of interest I have paid on these charges. I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter "

i have included this passage in the prelim and we can only wait and see.

"What I require

You have failed in your legal requirement (if you sent them the standard S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) then i believe they are olbiged to send a list of transactions and charges, not balances since i dont htink its included.)to provide me with complete account details for the period in question, having provided me with only a list of transactions and not one single balance to indicate if my account was in credit, agreed overdraft or unarranged overdraft. Over 5 years not one opening or closing balance to show me which level of interest was applied. I can only therefore assume that approximately half of these charges were compounded by interest at the preferred rate of 9.9% and approximately half of the charges were compounded by interest of your unarranged borrowing rate of 28.7%

I calculate that you have taken £620.00 and interest on these charges as discussed above is calculated as £620.00 /2 =£310.00 at 9.9% £30.69 and £310.00 at 28.7% £88.97 making the total estimated interest I have paid on these charges I am now disputing £ 119.66 the total I am claiming therefore is £739.66 I am of course happy to amend these figures prior to a court case if you are able to provide me with the information lawfully requested under my Subject access request to demonstrate the level of interest I have paid on these charges. I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter "

My view is you are making it unecessarily complex.

The interest amounts monthly are typically relatively small and will not be the key issue over whether a case is won or lost.

If you dont have any idea of the interest charged then fine do a simple calc, but if you do simply use that value and let the defendant challenge it.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

thanks glenn im sure they will correct any errors on my part :|

• 2 weeks later...

letter received this morning...

dear mrs traceyrmj

thank you for your letter dated 25th september, about your bank charges. i am sorry you feel these contravene the unfair terms in the consumer contracts regulation 1999.

having carried out a full investegation, i can assure you that the charges do not contravene those regulations and therefore i cannot agree to refund them.

the regulations say that we must explain our charges in plain launguageand that we have to act in good faith, which, according to the office of fair trading, means dealing fairly and openly with customers.

i therefore reviewed the literature and information you received when you opened your account including the terms and conditions.(again interesting as my husband opened this account before he met me so i have never seen or signed for anything) this explains that charges will be applied if you do not keep toi the terms of your account. because of this i beleive we have been fair and open in tellign you about them. the charges were correct, because you did not have enough money in your account to cover payments requested form it. when i looked at the history of your account i found that unfortunatly this was not the first time this has happened. oh yes lets all waggle fingers at tracey!

i am confident that i have been fair and have taken into account all the points you have made in your letter but if you have additional points you would like to discuss with me please call 08456006014 i have enclosed a leaflet about the financial ombusmen service in case you are not happy with my investegation or decisioon. if so you shoudl contact them withint 6 months of this letter enclosing a copy of it as they will need this for their investegation.

please note the charges applied to your account are no reflection of the transactional value and they are a set fee therefore i am not able to provide you with an exact breakdown of the charges values individually at present. hmm interesting so you are charging me but you dont know for how much at present :?:

i have as you requested in your letter ordered a charge history for you to see the charges relating to your account over the last 6 years, this documentation will however follow this letter in due course.

i hope we can work together to avoid charges in future, little things can help like looking at your balance as often as possible and changing the dates of direct debits to make sure they are taken shortly after money is paid in. in addition we might be able to provide an overdraft facility... blah blah at this point i stopped reading because we closed the acount nearly a year ago:smile:

from mr russell misrty - preston at milton keynes

my main question, lba went on the 9th october, this letter is in reply to a much earlier letter, do i still wait 14 days form the LBA in the hopes they may reply to that or do i just go file court papers now as they seem to have concluded their investegation.??? thoughts please?

after advice form the chatroom i decided to file N1, they have made their position clear and they intend no further communication or investegation so i have only the option of continuing with my course of action. no real reason to wait a week to do so.

for those who dont knw it is easy to file n1. you just go to your court room with three copies of the paperwork and your list of charges to support, and the cash ( you can pay bu cheque but what if the bank bounce it :p ) and hand it over, they give you a receipt and away you go. easy peasy!

im taking that as a reply to all my letters as they have all ( except for the first one) gone to this chap and i know he had my LBA at least a week before this letter he sent me was dated. it sounds final to me, still if they offer me all my money back before the deadline i should have filed ill only loose out £80 court fees as ill be getting a full refund which is what i want so its all good.

yeah they are referring to the date of my prelim ( which is the only letter i didnt send to him LOL) but deffo dated after they received my LBA.