• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Arrow have taken over Egg Loan

The Debt Star
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

needless to say the adjudicator hasn't rushed to respond

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

This thread may seem a little confused to newcomers. So to summarise there are several issues:

1. Egg absolutely assigned (sold) my loan to Arrow Global during a prior dispute (book balance of debt was £5,500)

2. The prior dispute was a PPI claim that the FOS had adjudicated on in my favour 6+ months ago but which Egg had failed to comply with at the time of the absolute assignment to Arrow. I calculate that Egg owed me a further £1,100 in PPI prior to the assignment.

3. Arrow have instructed Wescot DCAs to collect the money on a prior dispute and for a disputed sum (due to point 2)

4. I have made a 25% F&F to Arrow based on the sum owing of £4,400 (the true debt after the PPI)

Not altogther uncomplicated.

Thus far:

1. Wescot have acknowledged my compalint but have not responded to it in detail

2. I have continued to pay Arrow the agreed repayments I was making to Egg (ie I am not paying Wescot anything) and Arrow have accepted my cheque forlast month's instalment

3. Egg have acknowledged my complaint about the assignment but have not responded in detail

4. The FOS have said they are chasing Egg bit nothing ever seems to get done. Egg have allegedly told the FOS that the assignment has "complicated" things

5. I have fired off a complaint about the FOS to the adjudicator as they have been sitting with their thumb up their jackson for months now

I wonder if Arrow will accept the F&F given how complicated it has become due to the absolute assignment? If they do my guess is that they (Arrow) will then try to pass it back to Egg who will want to recover the full sum. This is where the absolute assignment to Arrow becomes useful to me.

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

Having dealt with this situation before, I would assume that arrow will not do that. They will say sort out the ppi claim with egg, then use the money to pay off the remainder of the debt. I will be very surprised if they suggest any different. The debt has been sold, I don't think they offer a money back guarantee. As far as I remember arrow let dra s offer 50% f&fs so may settle themselves for less than that, although if you have let them know you are offering f&f and claiming ppi, then they are going to be less likely to offer a larger reduction because they know you have original f&f amount plus money claimed via ppi.

There is often a buy back clause in these

debt sales, for situations just like this, so it

is a possibility DS.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

In the last few years I have seen many debts returned

to the OC --see Magdas post this evening for one.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Yes especially when there are disputed charges

and insurance that the DCA's are very reluctant

to get involved with.:madgrin:

And the debtor is wanting to offset insurance payments

against the debt.

I agree with that they are reluctant, however in this occasion he has made payment to arrow. We dealt with hundreds of these when dealing with arrow, I know a few were recalled but generally we were holding while claiming and then asking to use funds to clear. However more were settled through negotiating settlement terms without a claim. Arrow encouraged us not to offer f&fs on accounts that have been subject to a ppi claim.

Hi thanks for posting Brig and mrman.

mrman, been thinking about yuor comment re: "although if you have let them know you are offering f&f and claiming ppi, then they are going to be less likely to offer a larger reduction because they know you have original f&f amount plus money claimed via ppi."

The PPI was mis-sold and I have a FOS adjudication agreeing that it was. Egg have been told to stump up but haven't. Instead they sold a balance of £5500 to Arrow when in fact only £4400 was owing. It is not my fault about the PPI and as far as I'm concerned - whatever Egg and Arrow have agreed between themselves - the debt is £4400. You'll appreciate that i don't really care who owns the debt and I never asked for it to be sold to Arrow in the first place.

Therefore, from my perspective, I am offering the debt owner a f&f taking into account what the "true" balance is. It is the same f&f I would have offered Egg if they still owned thd debt. The PPI refund of £1100 is money that belongs to me and is due to me and which has nothing to do with the "true" loan balance, save and insofar as it would ordinarilly have been used to offset the balance. FOS agreed with that. But of course Egg did something really dumb and sold a debt in prior dispute.

Do you see my logic? The PPI has - or should have - nothing to do with the f&f because it is money that is due to me because of the mis-selling of PPI by Egg. Egg SHOULD have sold the loan for £4400 to Arrow and not for the £5500 but from my perspective any offer made to the debt owner HAS to take into account the mis-sold PPI of £1100, which I am entitled to anyway (whether paid direct or by way of off-set). The outstanding PPI claimc should not make any difference therefore.

Arrow, on the otherhand, have been stitched up by Egg. A bit like me selling you a car for £1000 when its worth £900.

Or am I wrong?

No your correct in what you say, but f&fs are used to either resolve a dispute or settle nested of arrangement. The way they will look at it, you have offered x amount, so if you reclaim ppi, you now also have y amount. So you have both x and y at your disposal to pay. You now cannot say you only have x to pay. So they will be less likely to offer a reduction on balance minus ppi.

Of course the other £5 is what I have to live on,

true in too many cases!!!!

Indeed but after dealing with so

many DCA's and DPC's who have

no care and no interest in the circumstance

of the debtor offering the payment I think

the point is lost!!

And I also get your point, but in order to settle on low %, you really need to give them an incentive. He cannot claim the ppi and then say he has no money? They will know he has the money before he does. At which point there is no query, what incentive do they have to offer a 25% f&f as you recommended? All I can see is him having no query and more money than he started with?

Or in simpler terms if somebody owes you ten pounds and they say they only have five, will you accept that, they then pay with a ten pounds note and ask you for change?

Not quite, because in your example you are forgetting that I owe that somebody some of the £10 I claim is due to me, because of mis-sold some insurance to them, say worth £3 making their real debt to me £7. So if they offered £5 I would be hard done by, but not if they offered £7. Of course I have offered less because I have offered 25% based on recommendations to start with a lower offer than that which I will ultimately go to, say 50%.

Arrow own the debt and are claiming the full whack inclusive of the mis-sold PPI due to me. Thinking about it I do agree with you, as it is Egg not Arrow that owe the PPI. But of course Egg won't pay it over and sold the debt inclusive of the PPI to someone else who is pursuing me for the incorrect sum. So I am offering that party (Arrow) a f&f taking into account the PPI, which of course i would do as Egg haven't paid it back to me but sold on the total debt inclusive of it. Is that so unreasonable?

If I had the £1100 PPI cheque to hand - which I don't as Egg haven't paid it and probably never will (this claim is now getting on for 2 years) - then I would make the f&f based on the amount sold to Arrow. But in these circumstances we are talking about an absolute assignment to Arrow of a debt in prior dispute that includes a tranch of mis-sold PPI that is not being repaid and I have made a f&f taking into account that element of PPI the debt owner is chasing.

Surely the remedy for Arrow would be to negotiate with Egg for the shortfall as the debt in prior dispute was sold to them inclusive of it?

I do also have the matter of Arrow's DCA harassing me for a debt sum that is disputed.

Edited by The Debt Star
syntax

I hope I haven't scared you off mrman! I'm sure you are right. Because although this was an Absolute Assignment (ie the debt with its rights and duties were sold in its entirity to Arrow and Arrow effectively then became the "original creditor" as they have all the rights and duties of Egg), I'm sure that there would be a clause in the deal betwixt Egg and Arrow making Egg not Arrow liable for the PPI. So Arrow are likely to 'factor in' the PPI where a f&f is concerned. That's logical. You are correct. Assuming that the PPI remains Egg's liability, not Arrow's, under the Absolute Assignment.

• 2 weeks later...
Brig, you there mate?

I've just had an equifax alert telling me my long-term defaulted Egg account has been marked "settled." As the sum of £5K ish was sold to Arrow Global, presumably this just means that as far as Egg are concerned the debt is "settled" hence the amendment to my CRF?

Does this mean that Arrow can file a brand new Default on my CRFs for the debt they purchased from Egg? ie its a diferent account, new owner (same debt of course) but allowing them to file a fresh 6 year Default?

If this happens, what should I do about it? The ICO are as useless as a wet blanket.

Hi DS,

This has happened to me. Egg sold my account to Arrow recently, for which I had been (and still am) paying Moorcroft. Despite never missing a payment, two CRA's are showing a new default with the assignment date as the default. The Egg one had previously fallen off.

Naughty!

MC

The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

There can only be

ONE DEFAULT ON ANY DEBT the new owner
    can only update the details and cannot change the date.

Brig.

Yes naughty, the original default date still aplies. They are not allowed to do this, the CRA should remove the default when they are told about it. The trouble is I doubt if they make any checks before putting enteries on ones file, and those that supply the information can't allways be trusted to tell the truth. if this industry is not going to be properly regulated it should not have the power to ruin peoples lives.

Hi DS,

This has happened to me. Egg sold my account to Arrow recently, for which I had been (and still am) paying Moorcroft. Despite never missing a payment, two CRA's are showing a new default with the assignment date as the default. The Egg one had previously fallen off.

Naughty!

MC

Hi MC. Long time, no hear.

I hope you are bearing up well my friend.

FWIW, Arrow managed to get my default filed at Experian transfererd to them correctly. The only change that took place was the replacement of "Egg" with "Arrow" and the default date remained the same.

With Equifax thus far the account ahs been filed as "Settled" with no Arrow input, as yet.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the CRAs mate. What some folks fail to understand is that while there SHOULDN'T be more than one daefult filed and for the wrong date, it does happen and it happens A LOT. Just read these forums.

I suggest you go to Arrow first to sort this out. Send them a copy or screebn print if you have one of your old cerdit file and if necessary send Egg a SAR to get proof of the default date. If you still have no joy then it should go to the ICO.

• Confused 1

Hi DS, yep it has been a while. I've been otherwise engaged and things were pretty quiet in terms of DCA bullsh**, hence being awol from the forums. But just like the proverbial bad pennies, they are back!

I'm OK, bearing up thanks.

As you, Brig and count rightly point out, there is clearly defined guidance on CRA file reporting. But the DCA's will insist on using the CRA's as a debt collection tool rather than for the intended purpose. I have no doubt that the error will be corrected just as soon as I point it out to those concerned. I'm sure that I have all the historical evidence that I need, so I'm not unduly worried, just bloody annoyed that they think they can get away with it!

Hope you're well too and all the best.

MC

The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.