5 month old grandson given wrong medication

**Tilly**
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news, but only because you and your family stuck with it. So pleased for you Tills and hope your grandson is well.

Let's hope that the new Year will bring the closure you want to the mess that they caused.

Take care Tills and I wish you well. In the middle of my own little battle (well pretty large really) at moment but can't discuss on thr Forum due to watchers.

TAG x

Hello again Tilly. That sounds like progress. I really hope you get the conclusion you would like and deserve from this.

HB x

Hi HB

I really hope so too it's not for the want of trying :-) thankyou

Tills

Great news, but only because you and your family stuck with it. So pleased for you Tills and hope your grandson is well.

Thank you Tags there was no way i was going to let this go, he is doing great a proper cheeky one year old :-) he goes in for a 3rd lot of surgery next week :frown: but hopefully all will be well.

Let's hope that the new Year will bring the closure you want to the mess that they caused.

Fingers crossed Tags i hope so.

Take care Tills and I wish you well. In the middle of my own little battle (well pretty large really) at moment but can't discuss on thr Forum due to watchers.

TAG x

I hope everything is ok with you and you getting any help you need totally understand what you are saying.Good luck Tags and you take care too.

Tills x

Justice will be done at last Tilly x

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Dread to think what the next step is Tilly :jaw:

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Dread to think what the next step is Tilly :jaw:

Don't panic..no violence honest:madgrin:

seriously have done a lot of homework on this since it started..if all goes up ended then we go for

an appeal.

Very pleased to hear the investigation is moving on now. It's worrying if the pharmacy has been business as usual all this time.

The Pharmacy is still open but when littlen's meds have been picked up on various days there has been no sign of the pharmacist.My Daughter in law did ask but seems nobody knows:roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Today my daughter in law recieved a letter from the GPC....as follows Mods... if anything i put in which you think should be edited please do.

I refer to your complaint about the above pharmacy which was passed to General Pharmaceutical Council(GPhC) by **** ***** Pharmacies on the 15th June 2011,regarding a dispensing error in which your son ***** was supplied with trifluperazine 5mg/5ml oral solution instead of the prescribed of trimethoprim suspension sugar free 50mg/5ml and that you were verbally given incorrect dosage instructions.

As you are aware, the GPhC has now investigated this matter. On the 16th march the investigating Committee considered the following allegations against **** ***** . That on the 26th may *** **** supplied your son with trifluoperazine 5mg/5ml oral solution instead of the prescribed trimethoprim suspension 50mg/5ml

That on 26th May 2011 **** ***** explained verbally to you,how to administer a dose of 7.5ml of the medication to your son,instead of how to administer the presrcibed dose of 0.75ml, it goes on to read...

Discussion The Committee was satisfied that the statutory service and notifcation requirements had been met in this case.

In addition to the case summory and the case papers,the committee considered the employment form,acknowledgement form and submissions by **** ****** The allegation involves a dispensing error and alleged inappropriate advice to the patient's representative at the same time.

Determination The Committee,having considered the Council's ethics and standards and the relevant legislation and law, including fitness to practise criteria in Rule 5,and the referral criteria, and on the basis of it's consideration of all the case papers before it,concluded the allegations need not be referred to the Fitness to Practice Committee.

The Committee,in the detailed and specific circumstances of this case,is minded to issue the Registrant with a lettert of Warning.Accordingly,the decision of the Committee is to adjourn this matter and to request that the Secretariat write to the Registrant indicating to **** that the Committee is minded to dispose of the allegations by way of issue of a letter of warning.

The registrant is also to be provided with the opportunity to make written representations specifically on that issue no later than 21 days after the of issue of the notice of decision.The Committee will then take into account any representations made when deciding to issue the warning.

The Seretariat should also indicate to the Registrant that inder Article 53(3) of the pharmacy Order 2010 **** is able to request a referral to the Fitness to Practice Committee. Reasons. . The dispensing error alleged involed incorrect dispensing a potent drug to a vulnerable child patient which could have had severe consequences for the patient. The registrant expressed remorse for the error and apologised to the parents of of patient *** *****

The Registrant has taken remedial action,including reviewing staff practcses,to minimise the risk of a simular incident for occurring in the future. The incident was a single dispensing error made on a busy day when the dispensary was operating without its usual dispensing staff. A letter of warning is proportionate in the circumstances of the case. A letter of warning will remind the Registrant of ***** responsibilities when checking dispensed medicines.

The Decision. In this case, the investigating Committee has decided to issue a warning. This means that the investigating Committee have concluded that there is a real prospect of a finding,if this matter was referred to the Fitness to Practise Committee,that the pharmicist's fitness to practise would be impaired.

However,the Committee has decided in this case that it would be appropriate to issue the pharmacist with a letter warning. apologies i know it's a bit of a long read....but after all the waiting a warning is issued

Edited by honeybee13
Editing in the elusive paragraphs. :)

Soooo - they're going to ask the pharmacist if they'd mind having their hand slapped and if they do mind they might not slap it. Is it right that your DIL had an apology?

It's good that new procedures are in place to prevent it happening again, but busy day or not, you don't expect pharmacists, who should be aware of the consequences of mistakes, to bodge up like this.

TBH I would have thought that putting a child in hospital and jeopardising his life would have more impact than a letter of warning, but what do I know.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Tilly, you could send the reply to The Fitness to Practice Committee with your covering letter of concerns as I believe you thought there have been other incidents concerning other patients. Any long term affects have not been addressed and you can ask the FPC for their response to this.

Lovely to hear from you with such great news Tilly. Your family's efforts have been rewarded.:whoo:

Just hope that the pharmacist will now understand the trauma your family were put through.

Hope that your grandson is well and your family too will find closure. The system takes so long and only too often people just give up or can'y be bothered.

My very best wishes to you and your family. TAG X :wave:

Hi Tilly and thank you for the update. Well done for persisting and getting something done about all this.

I've put in some paragraphs for you [common problem, lack of paragraphs] and hope I've got them more or less in the right places.

I hope your little guy's getting on OK.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Missed a piece out :doh:

The investigating Committee must decide whether to refer an allegation to the Fitness to Practise

Committee for a full hearing,or whether to despose of the allegation itself.

The investigating Committee can only refer an allegation to the Fitness to Practise Committee

if there is a real prospect of that Committee finding that the pharmasist's or paharmacy

technican's fitness to practise has been impaired.

However,in order to recieve the warning,the pharmasist must accept the warning,if they

do not accept the warning then the pharmasist will be referred tot he Fitness to practise

Committee.

Caro..yes DIL did get an apology but was only a verbal one.

and totally agree with you that a slap on the wrist for being naughty is not good enough.

so in other words as long as **** accepts the warning that is the end of it.

Thank you HB for sorting out the paragraphs :-)

and thaks guys for your replys...yes we got a response,but think it is a bit of a micky take.