5 month old grandson given wrong medication

**Tilly**
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 5 month old grandson who has a kidney problem and is on medication, was given the wrong medication and the wrong dosage he was given Trifluperizine which is an Antipsychotic for Schizophrenia and behavioural problems instead of Trimethoprim which

is for treatment and prevention of urinary tract infections.

The label with the dosage was covering the name of the medication, on the label it had 7.5 instead of 0.75,

My daughter in-law noticed the difference rang the doctors who told her to change the dosage which did but not realising it was the wrong medication as the label was covering the name,it wasn't until he started going in and out of conciousness and his eyes rolling that something was seriously wrong,we very nearly lost him through somebody elses mistake a big one at that.

Edited by **Tilly**

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Tilly. That sounds like a terrible experience for everyone, I'm really sorry for all concerned.

I know there are some lovely people on this forum who will advise you, but they arrive when their day or night jobs permit. I'm pretty sure you'll receive advice.

My best, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Oh my god Tilly you must all have been terrified. An absolute nightmare. I hope all is well now and there are no lasting affects.

Thankfully he is doing well thank you Tag

Are you doing anything about it?

Oh yes not going to let this drop just need to know the best way forward on this one.

Hello Tilly. That sounds like a terrible experience for everyone, I'm really sorry for all concerned.

I know there are some lovely people on this forum who will advise you, but they arrive when their day or night jobs permit. I'm pretty sure you'll receive advice.

My best, HB x

Hi HB

Thank you for your reply:-)

Yes there are some good peeps on here i'm sure i will be given the advice i need someone will pop along :-)

My 5 month old grandson who has a kidney problem and is on medication, was given the wrong medication and the wrong dosage he was given Trifluperizine which is an Antipsychotic for Schizophrenia and behavioural problems instead of Trimethoprim which

is for treatment and prevention of urinary tract infections.

The label with the dosage was covering the name of the medication, on the label it had 7.5 instead of 0.75,

My daughter in-law noticed the difference rang the doctors who told her to change the dosage which did but not realising it was the wrong medication as the label was covering the name,it wasn't until he started going in and out of conciousness and his eyes rolling that something was seriously wrong,we very nearly lost him through somebody elses mistake a big one at that.

Tilly, that's appalling.

Was this mistake at the pharmacy?

If it was the Pharmacy you must take the bottle back to the Pharmacy and inform them of the mistake and the effect on your grandson. Your Doctor should also be informed and your grandson should have a thorough medical. This should be recorded in his medical notes.

The Pharmacy should be able to track back through their checking records where the mistake happened. They should do their own incident report and the staff involved should be disciplined.

Please let me know how you get on x

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Hi Tills, what an awful thing to happen, you must all have been scared stiff. If you've still got the medicine bottle take a photograph of it with a close up of the label(s) before you take it back to the pharmacy. Did you take the wee lad to A&E ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Tilly, that's appalling.

Was this mistake at the pharmacy?

Yes it was the pharmacy's mistake the Dr script was correct

If it was the Pharmacy you must take the bottle back to the Pharmacy and inform them of the mistake and the effect on your grandson. Your Doctor should also be informed and your grandson should have a thorough medical. This should be recorded in his medical notes.

The pharmacy have been informed as has the Dr..the pharmacy is part of the surgery

he was admitted into hospital and put on round the clock care...

The Pharmacy should be able to track back through their checking records where the mistake happened. They should do their own incident report and the staff involved should be disciplined.

yep you would think so NO all they got was a sorry :-x

Please let me know how you get on x

will keep you updated because i'm not letting this drop

Sorry sounds a bit of a cop out, doesn't it?

Guys, there must be an organisation that regulates GPs and maybe pharmacies attached to them, isn't there? I don't know what any of them are called these days, but shouldn't Tilly be able to report it? And there must be a regulator for pharmacists.

HB x

I should think not Tilly, this is a serious mistake and should be delt as such.

Hope your grandson has fully recovered x

Got Debt problems?

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Hi Tills, what an awful thing to happen, you must all have been scared stiff.

Yes it was a bit of a nightmare

If you've still got the medicine bottle take a photograph of it with a close up of the label(s) before you take it back to the pharmacy. Did you take the wee lad to A&E ?

Hi Ell

Yes got photo's of all sides and label :-)

I should think not Tilly, this is a serious mistake and should be delt as such.

if i have my it will be :roll:

Hope your grandson has fully recovered x

Bit of a tough little cookie i think NO considering what he has already been through...he has recovered thankfully thankyou

he has recovered thankfully thankyou

Good to hear that Tilly :-)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Totally agree HB not good enough in my book

Guys, there must be an organisation that regulates GPs and maybe pharmacies attached to them, isn't there? I don't know what any of them are called these days, but shouldn't Tilly be able to report it? And there must be a regulator for pharmacists.

HB x

Thanks HB this is what i need to find out..where do i start first!!

Tilly,

just looked up the General Pharmacuetical Council website here Upholding Standards and Public Trust in Pharmacy

and they have a complaint form that you can complete here

about concerns about Pharmacy Professionals.

The Patients guide is here they can investigate errors in dispensing medication.

Good luck x

Got Debt problems?

As per usual you have great advice from great people. So pleased no lasting effects. :-D

Isn't it amazing that professional people think that saying sorry after making a major, major mistake will make it all better. But on this forum we read of people who have made mistakes claiming benefits, they are interviewed under caution with fear of a prison sentence despite being very sorry!

NHS etc not my favourite people at the moment.:evil:

Tilly, check your house insurance - it may have legal advice/services included, if so you could ring them and see if they will either point you in the right direction or take this on for you.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

As per usual you have great advice from great people. So pleased no lasting effects. :-D

Isn't it amazing that professional people think that saying sorry after making a major, major mistake will make it all better. But on this forum we read of people who have made mistakes claiming benefits, they are interviewed under caution with fear of a prison sentence despite being very sorry!

NHS etc not my favourite people at the moment.:evil:

To try and be slightly neutral about this, there was a time when hospitals for instance never said sorry, and in fairness, some of the families said that an apology would have made a difference to them. But like Tilly, I would want to see justice done and this not happen to anyone else's relative.

This has moved on a lot since yesterday, Tilly. I hope you'll let us know how you're getting on.

My best, HB

• Haha 1

Guys, there must be an organisation that regulates GPs and maybe pharmacies attached to them, isn't there? I don't know what any of them are called these days, but shouldn't Tilly be able to report it? And there must be a regulator for pharmacists. there is, for doctors it is called the general medical council, for pharmacists it is the pharmaceutical society, the GMC wont do much because the script was correct however the pharmaceutical society should look into it properly. the PS can revoke the pharmacists license

HB x

hope this helps,

their web address http://www.rpharms.com/home/home.asp

just to add any practicing pharmacist has to be registered with the PS or they cannot trade, which they have to pay around £500 per yr for the privelage (this information is approx 3 yrs old so may have changed)