Vanquis raising my interest rates can they do this without warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey guys i went looked at my recent vanquis creditcard statement recieved this morning etc then on 2nd pace in small letters stating that my new interest rate from next month will cash 70% and purchases 60% when it used to be cash 54% purchases 47% to me thats huge increase i phoned vanquis and enquired about it and female who answered was cheeky and saying no it 75% for cash & 70% purchases and say i am bloody lucky that they dont just stop the card and ask for full amount owed immediately the only way if i dnt want to pay the interest is to pay more then min. amount

what i asking is there anything i can do to get them to change the interest to lower amount or they just dont care since they a part of provident group?

I believe what you have already spent must stay on the interest rate you had before.

Only NEW spending will come in at the higher interest rate - it sounds to me liek you should not spend on this card anymore.

I believe they are right in saying they could in theory close your account and demand all their money back so I would just play it cool, pay off what you owe and find a better card supplier.

Someone will be able to confirm...

Are there any charges on the account for late payment, over limit charges?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

i believe you cant close account while ou have a balance also i think old interest rate applies to what i spend all ready and new interest start next month on new purchases i think or am i wrong

yes i believe there plenty of lat charges and over the limit fees charging £12 each at a time i got my last 2 refunded to me but i doubt i get any more from them

You can claim back all of those late fees/penalty charges and if you have "Plenty" of them it could amount to a tidy sum to claim back.

They are unlikely to give in easily and you'd probably need to be prepared to go to court but you can get them back.

ims

I believe what you have already spent must stay on the interest rate you had before.

Only NEW spending will come in at the higher interest rate - it sounds to me liek you should not spend on this card anymore.

I believe they are right in saying they could in theory close your account and demand all their money back so I would just play it cool, pay off what you owe and find a better card supplier.

Someone will be able to confirm...

If their t & c's allow it (which they probably do) they could close the account on giving notice.

As I see it however, they cannot demand immediate repayment of the balance unless the account is in a default situation.

David

You can refuse the increase and continue to pay interest at the old rate until the card is paid off, however, this will stop future spending.

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

Vanquis are really dodgy with their 'late' charges and 'interest'.

It is well documented on here!

They seem to apply the charges to continually keep you over your balance.

I have even queried them on payments that I made with 2 weeks to spare that were 3 weeks before showing up on the balance.

If you ring them up and question the charges they will refund them, sometimes a little too easily which made me suspicious!

In the end I told them either they stop ripping me off or they can whistle for their money, the case continues.

i thought they didnt have to refund them as its in t&c's are they not about the charges as £12 is standard for creditcards nowadays so do i need sar them for all charges or i think i might have gd few months statements lying abt in the house (i really need to start organising paperwork a bit better)

i thought they didnt have to refund them as its in t&c's are they not about the charges as £12 is standard for creditcards nowadays so do i need sar them for all charges or i think i might have gd few months statements lying abt in the house (i really need to start organising paperwork a bit better)

The banks might think they are standard but what they think is irrelevant. They are reclaimable

ims

i might think about it but judges might agree £12 each late/over limit is ok how easy is it for vanquis to refund me those charges or would i need to take to small claims court

Most credit card companies baulk at paying them back but if you use the correct process they tend to cave in before it actually gets to court. A particularly good place to look is the Barclaycard forum. You claim back these fees plus the interest they charged you on those fees. They know that judges will come down on the side of the consumer so they don't want to get in a court room because they know their fees/charges are unlawful.

You would need to be prepared to go to court but if, as you say, you have plenty of these charges plus the interest on them you could be in for a substantial windfall.

Don't forget, CAG can help you right the way through your claim.

ims

so these fees are actually unlawful even if u signed t & c's its not vanquis i have had cap1 /monument/barclaycard with fees etc in the last 5 years so i think i better sar them does it matter if defaulted the account or does it have to be up and running ok ?

so these fees are actually unlawful even if u signed t & c's its not vanquis i have had cap1 /monument/barclaycard with fees etc in the last 5 years so i think i better sar them does it matter if defaulted the account or does it have to be up and running ok ?

Wow....got a few to go for then.

forget t &c s for this....this will only be relevant if and when you have to prepare particulars of claim for court but these are blown out of the water too. It matters not whether the account is closed, active, defaulted.

I suggest that if you decide to get all this money back (plus interest) you start a new thread in the appropriate forum for each card so others can follow your progress and the advice can be tailored to each particular case.

If you haven't got all the statements, you will need to do a SAR for each one where statements are missing.

I can feel a party coming on courtesy of buddie :razz:

ims

well i just checked vanquis online for last 3 months it already equals to £36 and i have had them over a year lol same with the gf she had loads fees etc yip they deffo be party with 25% to cag if i get them refunded lol

What is the limit on the card?

The card charges are unlawful even at £12, so you should claim them back with interest, and go back at least 6 years if you have had it that long.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

i just wonder who do i take to court eg lowell bought cap1 - so would it be lowell or cap1 for both sar/court etc

Always the card company for SAR and court...so in your example it would be Cap1

ims

kool well when i get paid in 2 weeks i do threads on each account hopefully ag member can help me get it reclaimed back guaranteed when i ask vanquis for them they prob close my account with them lol