Poor Quality Exhaust

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months ago, I bought some new motorbike exhausts which cost me nearly £500. I received very good communication before I made my purchase. I asked quite a few questions because of the high £ of the parts, the most significant in this case was "...are the exhausts laquered...?" and the reply was

"The XXXX pipes come pre coated in a clear coating for protection ready to go on the bike"

To me, this meant that the pipes are suitably coated to be used on the road without issue.

I finally fitted the exhausts on 22nd May - that's less than one calander month. Since fitting them, I have been out in the rain twice...and that was only minor showers. After which, they are rusting quite badly. I emailed the vendor (a respected provider of motorbike parts) to inform him of the corrosion and he claims to have told me over the phone that these type of exhausts nee to be coated/oiled regularly. He done no such thing, but it's his work against mine.

To give you an idea of my knowledge of such things, I am a Mechanical Design Engineer and there isn't much that I don't know about the plating/painting of metals. It is of my professional opinion that the original clear-coat on the exhausts was of an unacceptably low quality.

So where do I stand? I've bought some exhausts, fitted them less than a month ago, and now they are rusting.

Paul.

do you have any description of the exhaust in writing, add or something that says they are fit for road use?

Did he give you anything in writing confirming that they need to regularly coated etc.

if he did not and any advert claimed they were ok, then you would have a claim under soga for being 'not fit for purpose' and you want your money back.

Was this deal done on line, ebay or something?

I haven't put the name of the company, but I can put a link to their website if that'll help. I wasn't sure if this was the done thing.

The website says nothing about having to recoat them; there is nothing about other than description telling what they are - "Steel expansion chambers" and I have nothing in writing telling me that they need to be recoated. It was an over-the-phone purchase because they do not have the facility to buy online direct from the website.

Should I put a link on to the website?

Yes that may be usefull, but think you have to have posted 20 toimes at least to be able to do that.

MOD wiil advise.

as you know if it was just steel and not stainless or galv then they would need to be protected, so important!

I would of thought this would be a must advise by the seller to point out that the coating is just a sort of delivery coating and not a final finish.

If this was not pointed out at the time sale, IMO you would have a claim.

You can speak to consumer direct for advise.

Appalling quality. Not fit for purpose. Cheap Chinese looking poorly welded badly finished cack. Need to regularly oiled? Only if you want a fire!

I am an ex biker. I had a Honda 400/4 in the 1970's and that had a hell of a lot of chrome, none of which ever rusted or needed 'oiling'. This garbage you bought is rusting after less than a month? AND cost £500?????

Take it back, demand a refund or sue them.

And after a quick look at their 'web site' I cannot find their address. As a business they MUST publish their contact address.

He's the sole importer of Tyga products. After looking up that address on Google Street Map, I REALLY hope that he's got some business premises elsewhere.

Would it help you to help me if I post up the email conversation so far?

Paul.

We've come to an arrangement. On the whole, I am very happy with the product, it's just the metal finish that I'm not happy about. So they have offered to accept my exhausts back and upgrade them to the stainless option at the additional cost which it would have been if I'd bought the stainless option originally.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back at some time on other matters. :razz:

Paul.

oh dear!

what is rust if it is not corrosion!

stainless steel can have surface corrosion, depending on its environment, a petina.

Also it can corrode paricularly quickly aoround microscopic impurities, especially sulpher, which can lead to some catastrphic failures.

Stainless steel bolts for instance if in moist environments.

did an enormous amount of research stainless steel and bolts in connectwith the Brietling Orbitor for Camreon Balloons a number of years ago. Brittle fracture was critical due to the cold temperatures.