• Tweets

• have a good read in the debt selfhelp forum. its easy to do a self managed one..only on the debts you find ARE enforceable mind..
    • If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I owe Egg 5,000 but not heard anything from them since may 2009 ? Whats going on ?

mooshy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The SAR is requested to shed some light on what Egg did with your account and the dates of last payment etc to prove or disprove that the account is Statute Barred,

I wouldn't sent a CCA to Marlins just yet, send them a prove it letter first, then if and when they produce the Barclaycard paperwork you can tell them you have never had a Barclaycard axccount and would like to see the agreement, so you send them the CCA request.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both-pls can you clarify what a proove it letter is ?

Thanks again

Dec 2006 SARS request :p

5th Feb 2007 initial request inc list of charges totalling £1706.50 without 8% interest :o

15th Feb 2007"bog off " letter received.:(

19th Feb 2007 LBA sent with further copy of charges:|

4th April £750 goodwill gesture paid into bank

11th Aug 2007-another £704 charges since and lloyds served me with enforcement notoice

Thank you both-pls can you clarify what a proove it letter is ?

Thanks again

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Done.

Ive SAR `d Canada Square and sent a proove it to Marlin .

Thankx for link Maroon

5th Feb 2007 initial request inc list of charges totalling £1706.50 without 8% interest :o

11th Aug 2007-another £704 charges since and lloyds served me with enforcement notoice

• 1 month later...

32 days and hears nothing from either just a phone call from merlin but no proof as yet x

• 1 month later...

Well I had my statements from Canada square !

The writing was so small I had to use a magnifying glass (seriously ) to read it.

it turns out that I made my last payment to Egg about 5 years plus ago.

I think the 6 years is up after Christmas this year or a little later.

I wrote a prove it letter to Marlin that I had an account with Barclaycard not Egg and did receive a respons

I`ve been seriously flat out at work and home and not had much time to look at my paperwork

but I went on my credit file today (hoping to move house at some point so trying to sort out ).

The thing is it says Barclaycard (which it has for a while ) account SETTLED ?

On March 2013 it said : May 2009 last updated. Default 16 April 2009.

Today it says : April 2009 last updated.Date settled 16 April 2009.

My question is how come it said a few weeks ago that the CRA last updated in May 2009

and I owed over 5000 on a defaulted debt which defaulted in April 2009.

Now it says the account was actually updated on 16 April 2009 ( the same day I defaulted )

and that the account is now SETTLED ????????????

I am getting too hopeful that Marlin have decided not to bother ?

I really don't want a CCJ so would appreciate any advice ? x

Thanks

lloks like its just about to be sold then.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what was the result of the prove it letter then?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Definitely sold on imo, no doubt a DCA will be in touch quite soon.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

thanks both.

Will the DCA be able to add to or record on my credit file and proceed to ccj ?

ll root out the letter from Marlin dx and post on here .

if they do own the debt then they can mark your file

however if its already defaulted, there's little they can do to harm the cra file.

as for a CCJ...they need the original agreement.

and as they know your address

they'll soon willy wave at you first

what was the result of the prove it letter please

dx

and they

letter as follows :

Outstanding balance 5050

Creditor : Marlin capital Europe limited

Original creditor : Barclays Bank PLC T /A Barclaycard ( originally Egg )

We write further to your recent letter received in our office on 19 March

We confirm that the debt relates to a Barclaycard (originally an Egg card ) opened on 10th Feb 2005 under the number xxxxxxxxx,

the account was subsequently terminated on 16 th April 2009 .

( funny that's the date that appeared on my file as settled and the date of the default but it was only changed to satisfied this last month or so )

The account was reassigned to Barclaycard in April 2011 and given a new number xxxxxxx

Please find enclosed an income and expenditure form for you to complete

and return to our office within 10 days from the date on this letter along with your payment proposals to clear the outstanding balance.

lPlease also provide us with proof of any benefits you are currently receiving to enable us to assess your financial circumstances.

should you wish to discuss this further

YS

Marlin Financial services

Well I had my statements from Canada square !

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, and have been trying to attain my SAR details for my defaulted EGG, now barclaycard for over a year.

Did you recieve the SAR information from Canada Square or was it Barclaycard?

I ask because I have written numerous letters to both Canada Square and Barclaycard over the past year and have been fobbed off so much that I am liaising with Barclaycard 'litigation' department before I start court action for my documents.

What may be of some interest to you, have you recieved the printed 'memo' reports from barclaycard?

These are quite relevent if you have already made a CCA request.

CS

right so they've confirmed

now its time to cca them.

do NOT action that I&E sheet!

dx

and they

CCA to Marlin ?

Sorry thanks DX yes I'll CCA Marlin thanks..

Cs yes I SAR d Canada square and they complied with a mahoooosive file of almost impossible to read statements. Inge was stupidly small..

No memo reports as not made a CCA yet .Thanks .

I really like the way marlins automatically assume you owe the money

nicely ASSUME for your convenience that it was an old eg card

give it a new number to confuse the punter even more

then ask for their 3rd part harmony financial details.

not once proving anything.

dx

and they

• 3 months later...

Hi

DX if your still about could you possibly read back the last 2 pages and give me your thoughts ?

Ok I didn't CCA Marlin .

I`ve continued to receive letters from marlin.

On Tues 2 guys dressed in suits arrived and spoke to my husband.

They said they weren't debt collectors but did I live there.

They left a card with my husband but from resolvecall so had no idea who they were and call first thing the next day.

Resolvecall said the men were from Marlin but that the case had been handed back to marlin!

I said I wanted to discuss this as the men called yesterday and I didn't want them turning up again-

they assured me that the case was handed back to Merlin yesterday following their visit ??????????/

Ive checked my CRA file today and it still says that this Debt belongs to Barclaycard and was settled on month after date I defaulted in April 2009 . It says settled May 2009.

Ive joined a new credit checker which comes free with a credit builder credit card I have.

On there it shows as Marlin owning the debt and its status is D (default ) for June July and Aug.

Ive checked the paperwork and I can see my last payment I think came out Nov 2008 so not SB until next year,

although im sure when I went back through my accounts ages ago my last payment was well before this .

why did these debt collectors who say they weren't debt collectors rapidly hand the case back to marlin ?

I really don't want a CCJ or DCA coming again.

My default will fall off in April this time and I really don't want another ?

you cant get another default for the same debt

once the default reaches its the birthday

the whole account will vanish

and cannot return.

resolve call are doorstep fleecers that try it on with SB or near SB debts.

have you ever sent marlins a CCA request

adapt the following text to YOUR details.

DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER!

get a £1 BLANK Postal order

write on the back.

for statutory £1 CCA FEE ONLY.

NOT FOR ACCOUNT PAYMENT

leave the payee BLANK

post the two off by 1st class post, get proof of posting from PO counter - ITS FREE!!

they have 12+2 WORKING days to comply.

firm demanding money

street,

town,

county

postcode

Dear Sir/Madam

Account/Reference Number 12345678

I do not acknowledge any debt with your Company or Associates

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.[77/78/79]

[***DELETE AS NECESSARY FOR YOUR TYPE OF ACCOUNT***

77/78 - everything bar HP agreemwnts, 79 for HP]

of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account,

together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide,

including a detailed statement of the account.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit.

You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment,

and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor.

In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189.

If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement,

you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee.

Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request,

you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity,

and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other [PC print yourname - do NOT sign it!]

or

send the SB letter to them.

dx

and they

• 6 months later...

Im just looking at this again.

I SARd Canada Square ayear ago and they sent me everything.

According to CRA debt to Barclaycard ( EGG ) was settled same day it defaulted April 2009.

My last payment was Nov 2008 so not SB until this NOV.

Ive had a letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors which I think is Marlin asking for payment.

Is there anything I can do to hold off until SB ?

Could they suddenly slap a CCJ on me ?

did you ever send a CCA request?

dx

and they

no but I think I received everything with the SAR ?

doesn't matter

whomever is after money MUST have it themselves.

you don't tell nyone you have a copy.

let it run

see what they threaten next.

dx

and they

• 5 weeks later...

DX im addressing everything today !

Im now doing CCA for this as don't want to risk a claim over here as well !

Now do I CCA Marlin the people who own the debt or Mortimer Clarke their solicitors who actually live at the same address !