• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot Morgan court papers issued people bank CC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morgans have issued court papers through northampton and looking though my paper work from OC I have a default notice dated 6th march asking for remedied by 22 march ie 14 days plus 2 not 3 is the default notice deffective and can I use this to stop morgans in their tracks

Onlyme

Until 2months ago I was happily going along thinking that all my agreements were unenforceable because they were old and no originals have been supplied

then 2 weeks ago court papers were received from cabots and I started looking at how to fight it off

It seems to me that DCAs now have the upper hand with recon agreements, however after reading for many hours it also seems to me that no real advice is being given to help beat the likes of cabot.

Does one now have to roll over and accept defeat, and the subsequent charging orders that will follow to all of us.

We need to focus on how to argue that the recon is not enforceable and so far I have not seen any input on this point

There doesn't seem to be a check list of what to look for in order to get the position back in our favour

Any positive input will be appreciated

Onlyme

Edited by ohitsonlyme
typos/error

If you get a CCJ from Cabot, you can fight and stop a CO.

They can be beaten (just not by me!). Have you looked at Brassed Offs thread where she beat them. The details can be fought. Have you got or requested the NOA? You can fight Carey, but it does depend on the DJ lottery, some accept all recon agreements as true, others recognise that Carey said that they must be a true representation of the original which should be produced in court. Plus all variations should be produced.

If all the prescribed terms aren't there then there is a s127(3) defence.

Read Carey or the threads on it and you will find arguments.

pt's company had quite a bit of success against Cabot, so try and find some of those threads.

• 4 weeks later...

So no checklist is the answer to the Op question?

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

just on the way to bed, will have a proper look at this over the weekeend because I have been thinking exactly the same thing.

Dispatch, “We have a 911, Armed Robbery in progress, see Surplus Store corner of Peebles Drive and West 24th Street”

Success is in the stength of your pre-court battle. If a DCA judges you as being a pushover, then the liklihood is that court papers could be issued on the off-chance that you won't defend or that your defence will be weak.

If you raise arguments under CCA 1974; sec 127 (3) and also use CPUTR 2008 (see my thread in the "stickies"), then they don't like it. CCA 2006 offers less protection to consumers in the sense that sec 127(3) was removed but if a company insists that a reconstruction is accurate but cannot furnish an Agreement, then what docs. have they relied upon to ensure it's accuracy?

DCAs/creditors also cherry pick the parts they like in recent cases, such as Carey..... ommitting the fact that in these cases, Carey et al were claimants and as such, the burden of proof was placed upon them to prove their case and not the other way around.

:-)

PriorityOne is right, Morgans are issuing claims on behalf of Cabot (they are one & the same really) using Northampton CCBC to anybody who they have an address for.

When they do this they have not got a clue wether they have any evidence to back their claim. God knows how many people pay up or receive a default judgement, then there are those that find their way onto sites such as this one.

ohitsonlyme, as you have found this place has plenty of threads with varying degrees of success or not as in cymruambyth case.

Hopefully those that have had success will find this thread and share the secret of their success.

Cabot have discontinued on me twice, but what actually brought them to this decision? I dont honestly know.

They are more likely to harrass anyone that owns there own house because they pay about three times as much for that debt than they do for debt where the OC does not have recent traceable address. So if you own your own house you need to fight them at every turn.

We know and lets be honest (anybody looking at this from Cabot you will need to look up the meaning of that word in a dictionary) they know that Carey v HSBC only deals with S78 requests, but while they have barristers that can use the system to their advantage they will continue.

I hope this thread illicits the information we require and will I certainly add to it where I can and keep it to the top of the list.

S

Dispatch, “We have a 911, Armed Robbery in progress, see Surplus Store corner of Peebles Drive and West 24th Street”

Approx 18 mnths ago I was having a really nice game of letter tennis with an office junior in Cabot, who informed me that a debt is a civil matter and is not ruled by Acts of Parliament!!?? No end of case law would convince him otherwise, they eventually stopped writing.

I have no assets in my name, not bothered about getting credit and not bothered if one of them decides to declare me bankrupt, that maybe part of the reason as well :D

Carey v HSBC et al: I like the way the judge accepted the Witness Statement of the banks solicitor stating that they always provide a proper enforecable agreement, as if solicitors dont lie and cheat like everyone else!

Edited by spartathisis
missed something out

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

Hi

I recently had my case discontinued by Cabot, as they didn't meet my CPR request, both parties filed AQs and that was it. 'Reconstituated Agreements' are becoming a major tool for these DCAs, and it's shocking that some DJs are willing to accept them. The cases mentioned above are great pointers to what is happening out there. According to the Carey case:

where District Judge Waksman stated; “It is open to a credit card provider to commence enforcement action without a copy of the signed executed agreement. All it needs to do is persuade the Court that this the agreement would have been signed for example by reference to its records of this particular customer and his credit card and its standard procedures and terms at the time. In the absence of some positive evidence from the customer to challenge the execution of the agreement, such evidence is likely to be sufficient”....

Having said this, check that your Default Notice is valid and the correct time scales have been met by your DN, as this may be an angle for you....

Good luck.

IM

Hi

I recently had my case discontinued by Cabot, as they didn't meet my CPR request, both parties filed AQs and that was it. 'Reconstituated Agreements' are becoming a major tool for these DCAs, and it's shocking that some DJs are willing to accept them. The cases mentioned above are great pointers to what is happening out there. According to the Carey case:

where District Judge Waksman stated; “It is open to a credit card provider to commence enforcement action without a copy of the signed executed agreement. All it needs to do is persuade the Court that this the agreement would have been signed for example by reference to its records of this particular customer and his credit card and its standard procedures and terms at the time. In the absence of some positive evidence from the customer to challenge the execution of the agreement, such evidence is likely to be sufficient”....

Having said this, check that your Default Notice is valid and the correct time scales have been met by your DN, as this may be an angle for you....

Good luck.

IM

Not under CCA 1974

Hi

Good luck.

IM

Trying not to be too negative, but my DJ stated that although the DN probably didn't allow sufficient time, in the balance of probabilities I would not have paid even if I had sufficient time, so a defective DN was ok:-x

• 3 months later...

Let battle begin!!

Just back from court,for allocation hearing and directions.

for a very old peoples bank credit card -no original cca only recon provided

Before going in

young guy solicitor or trainee before bar trys it on with me

( A bit of a smarmy get if he is reading lol) to tell me that carey is applicable and they dont have to provide the original documents, this was a bulk centre claim and he also told me that PD 16.7. does not apply because of this!! quoting some other rule about it going through the bulk centre

He also trys to do a deal with me to capitulate and make an arrangement with him as my case is fatally flawed

whilst at the same time admitting that the agreement is unenforcable which means in his opinion on mcguffick that they can get a CCJ but not enforce it.

I told him I didnt want to talk but would listen and agreed to let the judge make her mind up.

The lady judge was very pleasant

although it seemed to me that she didnt know consumer law that well and the claimant kept prompting that the recon is acceptable.

I had recently spotted that the default notice I had recieved was issued whilst the account was in dispute

this is acknowledged by a letter that they had not provided my agreement and were still looking for it and dated 6 months after the default notice

(dated6th march but only allowing til22 march to pay arrears)

As the judge was taking more notice of the claimant than me

she accepted his argument that a recon needs to be provided and a copy of the default notice despite my best efforts to point her to PD 16.7

I tried to tell her that this was not a section 78 issue but she was still using that as the basis hence the order to disclose only the recon

They now have been ordered to disclose a recon of the agreement and the default notice and that a case management hearing is to follow

The other side asked for a particular judge from the court to reside over the hearing, I thought that was unfair as it is probably pushing things their way but didnt argue the point

As we were leaving the court room the judge asked the other side to hang back and had a 10-15 minute chat in private,I felt this was abit unusual and challenged young upstart on his way out but he simply implied it was a private conversation and nothing to do with the case

Where do I go from here??

onlyme

Just remembered something else

the judge totally ignored my request for proof of assignment so nothing is in the order

The original agreement was with peoples bank of connecticut not citi and I have never recieved a Notice of assignment from peoples to citi

onlyme

Let battle begin!!

Just back from court, for allocation hearing and directions. for a very old peoples bank credit card

-no original cca only recon provided

Before going in young guy solicitor or trainee before bar trys it on with me( A bit of a smarmy get if he is reading lol) to tell me that carey is applicable and they dont have to provide the original documents, this was a bulk centre claim and he also told me that PD 16.7. does not apply because of this!!quoting some other rule about it going through the bulk centre

He also trys to do a deal with me to capitulate and make an arrangement with him as my case is fatally flawed whilst at the same time admitting that the agreement is unenforcable which means in his opinion on mcguffick that they can get a CCJ but not enforce it.I told him I didnt want to talk but would listen and agreed to let the judge make her mind up.

The lady judge was very pleasant although it seemed to me that she didnt know consumer law that well and the claimant kept prompting that the recon is acceptable.I had recently spotted that the default notice I had recieved was issued whilst the account was in dispute this is acknowledged by a letter that they had not provided my agreement and were still looking for it and dated 6 months after the default notice (dated6th march but only allowing til22 march to pay arrears)

As the judge was taking more notice of the claimant than me she accepted his argument that a recon needs to be provided and a copy of the default notice despite my best efforts to point her to PD 16.7

I tried to tell her that this was not a section 78 issue but she was still using that as the basis hence the order to disclose only the recon

They now have been ordered to disclose a recon of the agreement and the default notice and that a case management hearing is to follow

The other side asked for a particular judge from the court to reside over the hearing, I thought that was unfair as it is probably pushing things their way but didnt argue the point

As we were leaving the court room the judge asked the other side to hang back and had a 10-15 minute chat in private,I felt this was abit unusual and challenged young upstart on his way out but he simply implied it was a private conversation and nothing to do with the case

Where do I go from here??

onlyme

Hi onlyme

Very few details?

When was the account assigned to Cabot? Date of issue of summons, and details of particulars of claim.

Have you received a Notice of Assignment ?

New rules apply see below:

Section 82 Consumer Credit Act 1974 the new directive issued, which reflects the new European Union Directive Assignment of Rights

16. ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS

16.1 Where any rights of a creditor under a consumer credit agreement (for example the right to be repaid the money) are sold or transferred to a third party, notice of that assignment must be given to the borrower as soon as reasonably possible, except in the circumstances described below. This requirement applies to all regulated consumer credit agreements other than agreements secured on land. This requirement is in new section 82A of the CCA43.

16.2 It is the responsibility of the assignee (the creditor acquiring the rights) to ensure that notice is given. However, he does not have to give notice himself, but can agree with the assignor (the creditor assigning the rights) that the assignor will give notice instead, depending on what is more sensible in the circumstances. It is important, however, that notice is given as soon as reasonably possible and in a way that is clearly understandable by the borrower.

16.3 Notice does not have to be given where arrangements for servicing the credit are unchanged as far as the borrower is concerned. For example, if Creditor A sells his rights under a credit agreement to Creditor B but Creditor A still collects the borrower’s repayments in the same way and is the only point of contact for the borrower on matters regarding the agreement, notice does not have to be given.

16.4 Where notice has not been given, and arrangements for servicing the credit do subsequently change, the borrower must be informed of the assignment on or before the date that change happens. Again, this must be readily comprehensible to the borrower.

16.5 The definition of "creditor" in section 189 of the CCA applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party."

Very few details?

assignment dated september 2010 bulk centre issued june 2011particulars of claim are usual cabot drivel no agreement number just a 8 digit refernce number not relating to anything

Have you received a Notice of Assignment ? yes only from cabot not citi nor from peoples bank to citi

I dont think assignment issues is a relevant route to take as this has been effected ok

onlyme

Edited by ohitsonlyme
typos

onlyme

Where you go from here depends on how much fight you have in you.

The DJ is wrong in her interpretation of the Carey case. It only applies in relation to S77/78. The statute and case law are quite clear on that point. HHJ Waksman reviewed all the existing legisation and most of the case law and concluded they didnt help in the particular circumstances of the issues before him which were in relation to the provision of information.

Once the Order is sent to you, you could ask the Court to set aside the Order on the grounds that the Court had mis-directed itself as to the law. You will need to set out your reasons attached to an application on form N244.

I would also question the impression of bias (a) because the claimant thought they could nominate a particlar judge and (b) the little chat after the hearing. Both give the impression, rightly or wrongly, of bias. If you want to do something, could complain to the Office of Judicial Complaints about the judge's conduct. However, as the OJC won't investigate until after the end of your case, you could have a long wait. What may be more beneficial would be to copy your complaint to the senior judge (usually a Circuit Judge) overseeing the county court just after you have made your set aside application.

On the other hand, you may not want the hassle and are prepared to accept judgment against you.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Your running 2 identical threads for the same claim?

Re: Cabot etc and Reconstituted agreements

Just remembered something else the judge totally ignored my request for proof of assignment so nothing is in the order

The original agreement was with peoples bank of connecticut not citi and I have never received a Notice of assignment from peoples to citi

onlyme

11/02/2011 15:30

Re: Letter from Morgan on behalf of Cabot

Mmmmm got one of these letters myself today, mine was reference an old peoples bank of conecticut,(who??) held by Citi financial, it goes back to at least 1999 as I have one old statement in my possesion and is the same account number so they cant try telling me it was a new agreemnet I signed

I have written back telling them the account was in dispute with Citi, so send it back to them.

I have also wrtten to Citi asking for a copy of the NoA The one I got with Cabot was a cobbled photocopy with a date different than the date on the letter they sent to me

Lets wait and see

I am back up for the fight again

onlyme

30/05/2011 18:47

Re: Capquest and statutory Demands

My stat demand set aside in and accepted. Date set 19 th july

Defence fairly straight forward. No agreement, never had an account number they quote and no notification of assignment ect ect.

Onlyme

So, to fill in the gaps,

March 2010 a default notice was received by you, I assume by your posts you ignored this, Notice of Assigment from Cabot's was received September 2010, Morgans then sent you a letter before action February 2011, then issued the summons June 2011.

Your defence on this particular thread is that the default notice dated 6th March asked for remedy by 22 March ie 14 days plus 2 not 3 therefore you are hoping the default notice is defective.

No court will accept that, imo reading from all your other threads and posts I cannot see you have any defence, the question really is why you did nothing when you first received the Default Notice March 2010

I replied to citi tellling them they were still in default of my s78 and they acknowledged this in September by telling me that they were still looking for the relevant paperwork to satisfy my request, they therefore should not have defaulted my agreement nor terminated it nor sold it to cabot

Therefore your defence should centre on the unresolved dispute with the OC, essentially the cause of dispute, how you notified them, what reply if any, and what action you intended/notified them until the dispute was resolved, ie, reduced monthly/token payments or withold payments. to issue a Default Notice the OC must first send 2 Notice of arrears (S86 CCA) these can be included in your regular statement of account, once a creditor issues a default notice there are entitled to either pursue legal action themselves or pass the debt to a DCA.

imo banging on about unenforceble agreements clouds the real issues, if the court is made aware how the dispute first came about they are placed in an informed position to the decide if the OC was lawfully entilted to sell the debt.